sculpting a psykic power

So I've been brain-storming for a day or so and have only come up with some lack luster ideas on this topic so I thought I'd put it to the B&C:

How would you sculpt a psykic power like "avenger" or "vortex of doom"?

Inspiration came from:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BgKBlKs19fU/SMaIPBx8hmI/AAAAAAAAADg/T0w6QNz_dVM/s400/Librarian1.jpg

I really like the spiral around the arm as I feel this ties the conversion into the model a little more and makes it look more natural but I'm not sold on the feature on the end. Any ideas??

P.S.: This will be a Dark Angels character and you'll get extra points in my book for "DA flavored" ideas.

Well the way I've found to do generic lightning effects (which I assume can be expanded to make more exotic spells)

Is simple drill a couple of holes where you want the effect to start, then get some paper clips, extend them, then bend and twist them into the shape you want. Place the warped paper clips into the holes and there you go.

Once thats done you could just leave it, or maybe cover them in GS to make them thicker, give them more unusual effects or simple place smaller paper clips to give a better lightning effect.

Hope that helps

I picked up the Armour cast medium gout of flame from their cinematic effects. A quick drill into his outstreched palm and a green paint job gave me a DA librarian using "Hellfire", which is the only offensive psychic power a DA librarian (except Ezekiel) has to offer. I painted the flame to give it a spectral feel, and it helps tie the blue armored model into the rest of the army. I also swapped out the aquilla staff topper with an angel from the vehicle upgrade sprue, and bent the staff to match the contours of his back as though the force of the power is bending the staff. I was a quick and easy conversion, but I'm very happy with it. I'd post a picture, but my camera's on the blink.

Check out the fire bit:

http://armorcast.com/store/product_info.ph...products_id=998

If you put a paper clip into a drilled hole in the dudes hand, you can sculpt all sorts of crazy stuff around it.

I'll try and grab a picture of my Libby later today to show you what i mean.

So I've been brain-storming for a day or so and have only come up with some lack luster ideas on this topic so I thought I'd put it to the B&C:

How would you sculpt a psykic power like "avenger" or "vortex of doom"?

Inspiration came from:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BgKBlKs19fU/SMaIPBx8hmI/AAAAAAAAADg/T0w6QNz_dVM/s400/Librarian1.jpg

I really like the spiral around the arm as I feel this ties the conversion into the model a little more and makes it look more natural but I'm not sold on the feature on the end. Any ideas??

P.S.: This will be a Dark Angels character and you'll get extra points in my book for "DA flavored" ideas.

Jellyfish, I choose you!

I'm planning on using the "paper clip" method to attach the feature to the model, but my question is more about aesthetics. What would you/have you used to model a certain power? flaming skull, sphere of blackness, single large spike, that sort of thing.

Ghostly winged sword, end pointing at the enemy.

Be sweet if it was a clear resin and lit up by a green led. As long as you have a modicium of electronics knowledge it wouldn't be any harder than painting an opaque effect to look glowing. In fact those effects are notoriously hard to do, it may even be easier than painting.

If you wan't somethign similar to what you have there twist some wire around and attach one of the cinematic effects from the above linked armorcast range, iirc they have like a ball of plasma or something or if not, you can always take a bolter muzzle flash turn it around and blend in with some gs. Also use gs to give the wire a bit of random body to it to match the cinematic effect.

Archived