Fulgrim vs Ferrus

Having just finnished Fulgrim, the two battles between the former brothers are fresh in my mind. While Fulgrim won the first fight pretty easily, it was implied that it had something to do with him using fireblade might have given him an advantage. The second fight was nowhere near as close with Fulgrim winning only once he drew the Lear blade. So now I'll open it up to debate, was Fulgrim really a better warrior that his brother or were his victories merely the product of circumstance?

That moment in Fulgrim is still one of my favorite scenes from the Horus Heresy series. I personally believe Ferrus was the stronger of the two except for two factions that ultimately lead to his defeat.

1. Ferrus was ultra emotional in both encounters. He also might not have been truly willing to strike a killing blow against Fulgrim even if he talked a big game.

2. Fulgrim's strength was buoyed by the presence of the daemon which ultimately allowed him to prevail.

Ultimately I find this fight to be the best so far in the series because the two of them shared a great friendship and to see that torn apart really drove home the heresy.

I always wondered why Ferrus with his mighty hands did not simply try the entire fight to disarm Fulgrim. He could have used his hands to destroy the blade. When I was reading it, it seemed Ferrus was the stronger of the two. He was not quite as skilled but he had passion and strength on his side. That and his weapon was better than a daemonblade. Ferrus was one of the coolest primarchs, it was such a pity he had to die there. I think they were within 49/51 odds against each other, a truly epic fight.

If only he was using the weapon he wields on the inside cover (a big spanner) he may have prevailed...

I never understood that picture...

1. Ferrus was ultra emotional in both encounters. He also might not have been truly willing to strike a killing blow against Fulgrim even if he talked a big game.
Couldn't agree more.

Certainly true in their first fight but Ferrus came into the final battle out for blood. No doubt he wanted Fulgrim dead. What do you think tipped the scales in Fulgrim's favor the first time around?

Certainly true in their first fight but Ferrus came into the final battle out for blood. No doubt he wanted Fulgrim dead. What do you think tipped the scales in Fulgrim's favor the first time around?

You said you've finished Fulgrim. Why do you ask then ? It's obviously the Laer sword.

I actually recall Fulgrim being less willing to kill than his brother. Ferrus was angry at the betrayal and wanted Fulgrim dead for his crimes. Fulgrim on the other hand only struck the killing blow because the daemon forced him to.

I don't recall him using the Laer sword during their first encounter.

I thought you meant last showdown. In the first fight, Ferrus was baffled by the treachery of his best friend and Fulgrim just showed a better performance.

Archived