Sons of Malice, 5th Company Soul-Reavers

Thanks hushrong. Aata is actually bigger then even the normal grunts. He's also a lot bulkier if you believe it. I'll take a comparison shot tomorrow after work for you. Sukh'bata's skin cloak is from the Kroot sprue. I have oh about ten of those things, so expect to see them snuck in here and there :lol:

Thank you so much Doghouse the kind words are appreciated so much. I still find it insane that you, the Father of True-Scale, commented on my measly attempt at True-Scale haha But again thank you, I just went through your TS tutorial and my mind is back in the game to work even harder on my Marines. You are truly an inspiration and your tutorials are so helpful its insane.

This one is for you hushrong

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc496/Mr_Malevolent/Sons%20of%20Malice%205th%20Company/Comparison.jpg

As you can tell, hes a bit taller at the shoulder height. Even if I held him with their feet at the same level (adjusting for the rock) he stands taller and much bulkier.

Thanks Mr. Malevolent! That guy is HUGE! That is the Archon mini on foot right? *Malal, I wished I had that mini and Harry the Hammer from that army.

I look forward to seeing what else you do to him and you getting some paint on these guys!

Thanks hushrong he is a big 'un isn't he? I have to do a little putty work on him, bulking the shins a bit, filling the chainmail on the right arm and such. I'm still undecided if I want to hack off that left arm, or just dremel it down a bit......then of course figure out what to do base wise. Ugh decisions, deisions....

Hey man, gotta hand it to you, you are rocking it out with those True-Scale guys, you've definitely inspired me to have a go (though not on a Son of Malice, sadly). Aata looks brilliant so far, I once saw a brilliant Dark Apostle conversion based on that body and it worked really well so I look forward to seeing what you've got planned. Grisly trophies I hope? :lol: What kinda weapons is he gonna be sporting?

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Mr. Malevolent. Your true scale marines are very awesome. I really like how you came about to do the chests, as thats my biggest truescale problem.

I like the amount of bitz you seem to cram onto each mini. :lol:

And also, your Black Templar is awesome as well. The painting is very nice.

@GooseDaMoose: Thanks man. I def. want to see what you can come up with:D I believe I know which thread you speak of with that Dark Apostle. It may be the same one that inspired me to try working on my Word Bearers. As far as trophies go, yes I will have a plethora of trophies for him. Equipment wise I want to model him so that if I decide to use either the Space Wolves Codex or Chaos SM I can easily switch, so he'll have a large chain axe (made from an Ork Nobs equipment) and maybe a pistol. I definetely want to make an all plastic version of him later on.

@Shortsonfire79:Thank you very much for the kind words. I saw a user on dakkadakka use a hybrid of Terminator chest and Power Armour back bitz and loved how it came out. As far as the amount of bitz, I can never have too many bitz on these guys :) plus I'm a stickler for WYSIWYG. I'm trying to give them each their own individuality while making them seem as though they've been around for a long while. Each one has their own story, their own preference for the style in which they make war etc. I'm glad you liked the Black Templar. They were my first large army, other then my Lost and the Damned and my World Eaters, my Black Templars were at around 1,500 points and won me some good battles in the local tournies back in the day.

Updates

Nothing really new to report. I have another Initiate finished and another in the beginning stages of construction. Been digging through some old White Dwarfs and online to find some good color techniques for my black and white. I may give the glowing eye technique a go with these guys like on HERE. Now that I'm looking this tutorial over I may try that white out as well :P It may be a bit over-ambitious but I'll give it a try. I've also been pondering on what I want to do base wise and I believe I'll buy up some display style round bases like THESE. Oh and one last thing, a fellow B&C user by the name of Synapse has inspired me to re-think my Librarian idea and go for all plastic. If you can find his thread on here, its worth a look through. Thanks again everyone.

Hello Mr.Malevolent, being true scaler myself, I have to say your work is impressive and have made better progress than myself (damn me and my distractions), and I eagerly await progress on Aata.

In regards to your convo with Kage and TSing Termi's, if I may be so bold, a pic to show my method for TS Termi's that may, at least, give you an idea. (if you wish the pic gone, ask and it will go)

(image is pre-GS tidyup)

gallery_48988_5384_865230.jpg

from on the sprue to this stage was about 1.5 to 2hrs work.

Cheers, keep up the good work, and I watch with anticipation,

Jono

Update

Just a quick little story I came up with a week ago (I may edit it again as I seem to never be finished with editing). let me know what you think.

The snow continued to fall unhindered as he took another drag of his cig. Trooper Jonas watched with boredom as he exhaled, his breath swirling up and into the dark night sky. It was then that he noticed the shooting stars. Normally they were high in the night sky but these had seemed to come towards the planet, descending closer with every second. Jonas was in awe as he followed their fiery path down into the neighboring valley to the west. Something was amiss and Jonas took one long final drag of his cig. Hacking and coughing as the toxins burned his lungs. The cheap vox-bead in his ear crackled to life, other Squads in the valley were being attacked by the inhabitants of the fallen stars. Before he could reach for his auto-gun Jonas felt intense heat and a loud roaring, deafening sound assaulting his ear drums. In an instant he was thrown violently back, thudding hard against the rock surface behind him. The ringing in his ears muffled his own cries of pain and shock. His back was destroyed, it felt as though his entire spine was pulverized.

Looking back to where he last stood, a giant black and white quartered pod sat, half buried in snow and dirt, its sides hissing and steaming from the entry through the atmosphere. Jonas’s squad 21 along with Squad 23 were already upon the pod, firing away with auto-guns and lasguns to no effect. Field medic Harris ran to where Jonas lay, sliding at the last moment, his field-kit already open, ready to tend to the fallen Guardsman. He could barely hear Commisar Tobias shouting “Get me a melta-gun on this position now! We haven‘t much time…“ even his loud authoritive voice was muffled by the intense ringing that assailed his ears.

With a loud clunk, the pod unfolded it’s sides like a giant metal flower, steam rushed out from inside the pod, the warm air from inside mixing with the bitter cold winter air of the mountains. There was a whining sound for a brief few seconds before a salvo of rockets rushed out to rip apart squad 23. Half the squad were blown into pink mists, shreds of flesh and bloody clothing falling with the snow onto the survivors. Commisar Tobias picked himself back up and began firing with his bolt pistol, his voice shaken but still demanding of his men, “Pick yourselves up, fire with the unrelenting righteous fury of the Emperor, for the enemy is upon us”. The melta-gunner next to Tobias was launched backwards, his torso exploding in a pink mist as the bolt that lodged itself inside his shoulder, only a second earlier, detonated.

Like the legendary sky-gods of old, striding through the fog of war, the Sons of Malice clad in the quartered black and white heraldry of Malice, strode out from the red lit interior of their transport. Each was a massive wall of hardened ceramite, their massive bolters barely nudging their trunk sized forearms. They made no sound, no cry of war, no insults to the Imperium as they parted the mist. They walked with the confidence only a being of pure power and fore-knowledge of their near invulnerability could. They did not rush to kill the scattered Guardsman who bravely held against them, they picked them off one by one, eying each target like a wolf preying on a herd of water foul.

Veteran Ihaka grinned with sharpened shark like teeth inside his avian helmet. He could sense the confusion amongst the Guardsman before him. He chuckled knowing that these pathetic memeha had never fought an Astartes force before, let alone a strike force like 5th Company. He bet they had even dreamed of fighting alongside their “sky-gods”, loyalists like the Marines Malevolent curses upon their name. He strode forward, auto-gun fire and las fire bouncing harmlessly from his armour and his war-trophies that hung from a chain on his pauldron. He raised his combi-bolter with ease, the servos in his armour whining to compensate for the guns weight, the bracelet made of various teeth that hung from his wrist clanking against his ceramite. His bolter was ancient, passed down from Veterans before him and lovingly slaved over by himself to make it the perfect killing instrument. It was a thing of beauty, if any weapon of war could be considered beautiful, the trinkets of teeth and bone tied to the hand grip, to the polished steel bracing his slave-artificer crafted for him. The trigger had recently been replaced and it fired with complete ease, oh how he loved the sound of its bark and the mule-like kick it gave, he knew every inch of the bolter and he knew it would reap him a fine tally today. He smiled again, a small droplet of blood slowly rolled down his lip as he unknowingly bit into it, the copper taste was good.

Sukh’bata closed the gap between himself and the Commisar. The damned fool already took down Kohunga, his chainsword swiping out his knee joint, costing the young one a leg and the outright slaying of Pihinga with a well placed bolt shot to the throat. Sukh’bata growled to himself before opening his vox-line, “I will not lose another brother to this dog, leave him to me”. Ihaka replied with a viper like hiss, “He’s all yours Sukh‘bata, chop him down from where he stands like the petrified trees of Scelus” Sukh’bata could feel Ihaka’s smile through the vox, he seemed to be quite enjoying this. To their enemies, there was no sound except for small mechanical clicks, confirming inter-squad vox-communication, for all Sons of Malice took vows to never speak before the enemy, whether they be Imperial, Chaos or foul Xenos. Sukh’bata rounded the side of a downed Chimera, its black charred hull evidence of Chuluun’s handi-work. He always worked efficiently, methodically, taking his war-craft directly to the enemy. Sukh’bata caught a glimpse of Chuluun in the distance, hammering Guardsman left and right into pulp, blood and pieces of crushed skulls and brain matter covered his right side from his massive hammer to his dented shoulder pad. A few scattered Guardsman met Sukh’bata, each one efficiently cut to ribbons by his chain-axe, each swipe was instinctual, he was born to kill, always and forever. Even with his helm sealed, he could taste the bitter coppery tang of fresh blood in the air, his lust for battle over coming him slowly, but instead of hindering him it helped him focus. Finally he came face to face with the troublesome Commisar.

The gaunt man was yelling something at Sukh’bata as he bounded forwards, he cared little to hear the babbling of the Imperial dog, he only sought revenge for his kinsmen. Time seemed to slow, as the two warriors clashed, mortal versus sky-god. The fight lasted mere seconds as Sukh’bata used his immense bulk to over-power the mortal, shouldering him so hard and fierce that he could hear the mans rib cage collapse. Tobias only had a fraction of a second to understand what had happened before the giants chain axe bit through his neck, his last curse lost upon his dying lips as muscles and tendons were violently gnawed in half, his red hot life blood spilling over the fresh snow.

Steam was still issuing from the decapitated Commisars head as Sukh’bata unhinged his belt chain, the meat hook on the end rammed through his left eye with a fluidity only born from an individual well experienced in procuring trophies would. Auto gun fire pattered around him, kicking up small puffs of snow. Chuluun ran past Suhk’bata, his bloodied hammer spinning in his hand, his other hand pumping bolter rounds into the Guardsman ahead of him. “Come brother,” Chuluun’s stony voice crackled over the vox, “grab your trophy and fight with me, there are more Imperial dogs to put down”. Sukh’bata smiled inside his helm, Chuluun was always egging him on after he felled a particularly difficult opponent. Suhk’bata spun on his heel, and he followed behind Chuluun, bolters barking into the night.

The engagement only lasted six minutes, and they had reaped a bloody reward of over two hundred Guardsmen. It always amazed Sukh’bata that a strike force as small as three squads could overpower a Guardsman force so easily. They always seemed like spineless children, fumbling with their courage when the enemy came straight for them, instead of hiding behind cover exchanging shots. Sukh’bata had tallied himself sixty Guardsman, his armour and weapons slick with their cold life blood. With a hiss, Sukh’bata removed his helm, the cold air biting at his warm tattooed face and the tang of blood filling his nostrils. He had magnet-clipped his chain axe and gripped his flaying knife with the eagerness of a hungry wolf. Victory was won and now he was to reap his reward, uttering a prayer to Malice before indulging himself on the corpse he held in his free hand.

Ihaka was hovering over a Sergeants body, his helmet magnet-clipped to his left thigh plate, his immense power claw neatly opening the dead mortals rib cage with ease. Quickly he whispered a prayer to Malice and scooped up the torso, before sinking his sharp teeth into the still warm bloody flesh. There was more battle to come and the brethren of fifth company needed to invoke the blessings of their patron Malice. His work was never done, but the Sons always took to his calling, taking the charge boldly and without faltering. Truly they were Sons of Malice.

• 2 weeks later...

Small Update

Hey guys.

I'm alive and I haven't given up on my SoM, I've just been extremely busy with work and more recently, moving. Friday is my "official" big move and then all my free time will be spent painting the apartment and getting things settled for a few days. I'll also be setting up my own "work space" so that should be fun (expect some pics). As far as diving right back into the SoM, I might do a bit of work here and there but money will be tight for a while. I'll finish the squad I have but I probably wont be building more for a few months. However I just uncovered my very first bitz box the other day and plan on stripping alot of those models and re-using them to cobble together a usable army. Will I stop building my army? No of course not, I just need to focus on saving my money is all (however I will not stop producing fluff for the SoM, posting in the Labyrinth and such). Expect to see a new W.I.P. project from me in the near future, with plenty of pics and some old models re-purposed and as my signature suggests, a Sisters of Battle army :tu:

Archived