This is my Chaplain

LazyCorpse

Here's a few pics of the Chaplain in terminator armor that I was up until 3am finishing last night. He turned out too good not to share. Pardon my arrogance, but this is the best model I've painted yet.

gallery_60591_6111_512949.jpg

gallery_60591_6111_200231.jpg

gallery_60591_6111_567784.jpg

Edit: Nevermind about the size.... i posted the thumbnail images, not the "actual" images... silly me!

C&C welcome!

Its pretty darn good. Do you use washes? Your model would look better still with just the application of Badab Black and Gryphonne Sepia. Basically wash over the Left Arm sholuder pad to add more definition and depth, then wash over the skill to add a little skull yellowing. I will throw up a picture in a few which shows what the skull effect looks like.

Other than that pretty darn good, thank you for sharing.

EDIT:

Here are two pictures of my WIP chaplain to illustrate what I mean about the Skull effect. Ignore the harsh and rather rubbish highlighting technique, I never did get around to mastering Black!

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/waaanial00/Compliance_Prep/DSC_3036.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/waaanial00/Compliance_Prep/DSC_3037.jpg

The technique, if I remember it correctly, is start with Dheneb Stone or a light bone colour, wash in a light Badab Black, then wash in Gryphonne Sepia. Washing it twice (leaving it to correctly dry) with Sepia brings an even better definition. In general, aside from washing metal, a second wash bring better results than a single one.

Great looking mini Lazy !

I'll agree with waaaania, try adding a wash on the skull either with badab black or sepia over the skull to add an extra touch.

A good technique that worked at least for me is heavy washing (with your prefered wash) and then drybrushing with bleached bone followed by skull white(if u need the extra highlight).

Nice mini. I like how you've got the Templar Cross on the right shoulder pad to sit flush with the moulded detail. It would have been easy to be lazy and just left that blank. That's nice attention to detail.

I think his skull could do with a bit more definition too, but the real trick is putting the highlights in the right places. The paint on the the skull is nice and smooth and looks good, so it would be a shame to ruin it by botching the highlights. There's loads of skulls all over GW's model kits so it's not like you'll be short of things to practice on.

I don't wash skulls myself, I build up gradual highlighs from snakebite leather, blending through to bleached bone and up to skull white. I keep the paint thin so it's slightly translucent and the layer below shows through a bit. This helps to create smooth blending so the shadows/highlights aren't stark. It's a technique worth doing on a Terminator Chaplain's face, but don't practice on this one, have a look at how expert painters do skulls and practice on a few before coming back to this guy.

I'm no expert, but if you look in my gallery you'll see some skulls on the bases of my tactical termies and on my AOBR dread. I'm quite happy with them.

Anyway, nice mini.

Yeah, how to highlight the skull has been something that has been eluding me.

Thanks for pointing out the left shoulder pad, I knew there was something I missed with the washes.

I have been using only badab black, and I've been trying to be judicious in it's use, because some other models I've painted i just slathered on the black wash and they didn't turn out well... been trying to improve.

Oh yeah, the cross on the right arm took three decals worth of trying... very frustrating, and it isn't quite flush, so I've used black paint to fill in the gaps.

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah using Washes is definitely a dark art. Top tip, washes work best with the foundation range from GW. Not sure whether its true but the feel like they were designed to work in tandem better than the standard range. A foundation and two washes of an ink generally does wonders.

Biggest problem is where they pool and leave watermarks, though a light drybrush can ofter remove the majority of the problem areas. Though to be honest if you can blend or have the patience and time to learn its best to stick to that. Though one of my friends swears by a light wash to help the blending process.

Me I love them and use them extensively, however I never wash the whole model. Its a targeted thing to boost effects, not a substitute for a good basecoat technique.

I've been using mine as just a normal Terminator, sadly. It's hard to justify putting a chaplain in a list, with AAC already as a vow.

@Uberskooper: The master of Sanctity is well done, I really like the tabard.

Archived