Fallen Assassins?

In the book Nemesis we saw the secret war being waged on both sides and although Spear was a great evil assassin, but I am a little surprised we aren't looking at a schism between the assassins like we did with the Mechanicum. Was there a split between the assassins for each faction like the other sides (Astartes Legions, Mechanicum, Army etc.)? Do you think this will be covered at all?

I haven't read "Nemesis", but I assume that the Assassins were held largely away from the Legiones Astartes, so Horus/Erebus would not necessarily have been able to get to them, or may not even have known of them.

As others have said, the Assassins weren't public at the time. Remember, even Dorn didn't know much about them until the events in the novel, and the Temples were small enough that any insurrection could be cut off quickly, before it could spread.

I think Horus once corrupted and on his travels across space would have encountered enough skilled loyal (to him) killers to form his own cadre of assassins. It doesnt say anywhere how large a force of assassins he could deploy, or how well organised they are compared to the temples. He may just have two or three individuals he can call upon. If other traitor legions had similar individuals (you can bet alpharious had them) then he wouldnt have needed the temples, and it wasnt worth the effort of infriltrating terra to get at them.

The temples may never have been divided, much like the custodes wernt, as they were so secluded in their organisational set up.

Just my own two cents

I don't think the assassins would defect to Horus, in the book there was way too much talk of devotion and duty an purpose for the emperor. I think they would have disbanded before turning sides

I see the temples as small legions

As long as the master (primarch) doesn't fall then the temple (legion) doesn't fall.

One or two might have gone rouge, but they would have been dealt with by their peers

Also, wasn;t there some fluff in codex assassins about the temples being formed by individuals who wanted to help the Emperor and would do what was needed, even if He couldn't order it.

I can see that giving greater loyalty than the bond some of the Primarchs had with Him.

The Primarchs had to be loyal because He was Daddy

The assassins masters chose to be loyal because they wanted to help him.

There was an assassin war.

I recall there being mention of it in the Codex: Assassins back in 3rd edition. Virus bombs, vibroblades, all that. Basically half of the assassins were on the side of Chaos, the other, Imperial.

I recall there being mention of it in the Codex: Assassins back in 3rd edition. Virus bombs, vibroblades, all that. Basically half of the assassins were on the side of Chaos, the other, Imperial.

If I remember correctly, that was post-heresy but I can't remember the name of the war...........

This is the problem with most of GW's fluff. Always half of something betrays. The Astartes,The titan legions, The mechanicum. Dont get me wrong i love all the fluff,but sometimes it seems like amatuer hour when it comes to developing the backstory.

Archived