Re-reading The Horus Heresy

sponsra

I´m about a hundred pages into Horus rising and:

1. It´s way better than I remember (It was the first BL book i read, and now I´ve read the whole HH-series. Maybe my expectations have dropped :-)

2. I get it now! Thera are so man details abot the story that i missed the first time. Maybe this is due to English not being my first language, but I think I will understand a whole lot more about the stories this time around.

Anyone else went back and re-read? What´s your, not first, but second impression?

I've re-read the first four recently (after listening to the HR abridged audiobook) and I really hope they stop making those shorter versions for audio. So much detail is lost, I think the audio books in this case are a bit of a disappointment. I'd surely recommend reading first and maybe just listening to refresh your memory.

Horus rising was as fantastic as I remembers, as was False Gods... I was a bit disappointed with Galaxy in Flames though. Funny, when I read it the first time I was extatic... but I guess it's just a case of a great story you've been looking forward to for so long, nothing could ever be wrong about it. The second time round, I didn't really like how it was written.... just something fishy... plus I felt it lost some of the subtleties of the previous two. Flight of the Eisenstein was great again, though it was kinda funny reading about the SW and TS characters having read Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns. You can sort of see that the philosophy and direction changed a bit since the first few books.

I''ll never re-read Battle for the Abyss... I'm a space marine player and I really hope the Battlle for Calth novels redeem us (the short stories in AoD were great I think, though there's been a lot of controversy) I can't believe that with the amount of bashing UM get, they let the first HH novel about UM be written so poorly. They should know better...

I'm looking forward to re-reading Fulgrim... that novel was way beyong genre sci-fi in my opinion. The depth of his fall to chaos and all the goings on with the remembrancers etc... I hope I wont be disappointed on my second read though ^_^ perhaps I've blown it out of proportion in my mind :)

Some stories like Legion or First Heretic can never be as good the second time round, but still great reads I'm looking forward to.

Plus, I think I've re-read the short story 'The Last Church' about 10 times. The best Black Library short strory ever. Period. No discussion possible. :-)

Some stories like Legion or First Heretic can never be as good the second time round, but still great reads I'm looking forward to.

I disagree. I keep finding stuff I missed the first times on every run I make through Legion and The First Heretic. There are other examples in the HH series, however, that don't improve or educate further no matter how many times you comb each painful page (I won't name any names for the sake of propriety, I don't want to stare too long into that Abyss). :cuss

I loved Horus Rising when I read it first, liked False Gods and didnt like Galaxy in Flames as much as the other two. To me it didnt quite feel as epic as it could have been (personal opinion-im sure no one will quite agree with). I re-read the whole series in order a few months back in order and had a discussion with a friend of mine that the original 3 havent aged well considering the quality of a few of the ones that came later (Fulgrim/Thousand Sons/First Heretic) Not that they are badly written or anything(anything but) just my opinion that Fulgrim/Sons/First Heretic captured the epic-ness better.

I''ll never re-read Battle for the Abyss... I'm a space marine player and I really hope the Battlle for Calth novels redeem us (the short stories in AoD were great I think, though there's been a lot of controversy) I can't believe that with the amount of bashing UM get, they let the first HH novel about UM be written so poorly. They should know better...

Freudian slip there, eh? Ultra Marines = Space Marines :-)

I re-entered the hobby after a fifteen year abscence about the same time I started reading Horus rising the first time. Now, after reading all the HH-books, reading and posting in hundreds of threads on different forums, learning and playing two editions of the game and building a massive Imperial Fists force, I feel that i understand the story so much better. I guess you need to be prety well-read on the fluff to really get it...

well, every time I read "I can't say" I immediately think LOOOODGE!!

I used it in a meeting the other day....blank looks all round....oh well, no HH readers where I work :D

I'm re-reading them at the moment too, in the middle of Legion at the moment. The one that stands out for me is Descent of Angels. I didn't rate it first time round, but enjoyed it much better this time - not sure why, possibly because I now know what happens to Zahariel in Fallen Angels, and it was interesting seeing just how he got there.

Archived