Cthonia during the Heresy

What happened to Cthonia during the several years it took Horus to reach Terra? According to IA, the planet allegedly existed in one of Earth's closest neighbouring systems, being within reach even for non-warp spacecraft. Consindering the Battlefleet Solar and Imperial Fists were right next door, I`d think they would manage at least a blocade, meaning Horus has no replacements coming to his legion.

Reckon it would have been atomised pretty soon after Istvaan V, if not Istvaan III. We know it was destroyed, and as you say, should have been relatively simple for the Imperium to do.

I imagine they wouldn't have purged the entire planet until the Scouring, but its close proximity would make it the first destination of any Horusite defector from Terra, from whence any intelligence could be astropathically transmitted to Horus. Any Sons of Horus presence would have been obliterated or at least blockaded immediately.

The only source i have (IA4) isn't very explicit about it. Says the planet *probably* lost its geostructural integrity AFTER the war, *possibly* due to the extensive mining there (That's REALLY a lot of mining if you think about it). But *maybe* it was destroyed on purpose.

That's it, a lot of maybes, not even a hint WHO could have destroyed it.

As for being behind enemy lines, i'm sure they'll find some warp-stormish plot device should the need arise.

My best guess is that despite being close to Terra the warp storms that the chaos gods used to slow/block travel to Terra would probably have also prevented travel to Cthonia and other important traitor planets. Thus it may have only been possible to reach and destroy them during the scouring.

As for being behind enemy lines, i'm sure they'll find some warp-stormish plot device should the need arise.

I really hope they don`t asspull something like that. Warp lanes to distant planets disrupted? OK. A warp storm engulfing specifically Cthonia? Must be the Grey Knights forming there.

Archived