5th edition 40k Trivia

Tanhausen

Yes, so if the models were lined up perpendicular to the board edge you could do it, as not all models have to run the same distance/at all. SO if you had two marines out of coherency falling back in the direction of the arrow

0 0 -------> Your board edge

you could roll a run roll and only move the model in the back while keeping the other model stationary, and you would have a chance to regain coherency. So, in some cases it is possible.

Correct. The scenario you gave was assuming they were parallel to the board edge. Given many other angles, you can indeed use the Run move to get back into coherency.

No, because you are out of coherency (p46). The only restriction lifted by And They Shall Know No Fear is the "below half strength." In fact, those marines will never regroup unless terrain/models forces them closer together during their fall-back move, as otherwise they always moves toward their table edge by the shortest route possible (ie, two parallel, straight lines). I'd give the SM page but I don't have it on me.

The fall back rules do say shortest possible route, where the coherency rules BRB pg. 12 "....the models in the unit must be moved in such a way that they restore coherency..."

I tend to think the 'must' is more specific than 'possible'.

Holy cow...I see your point as in the shortest route... but don't you have to go into coherency ASAP? Anyhow... that would be a really bad thing to call upon IMO... RAW or not.

• 9 months later...

I hope it isn't bad form to add a question here since this has been dead so long.

A squad charges a tank in their turn, but does not destroy it.

The tank does not move on its turn (immobilized, perhaps)...

Does the squad get to attack the tank during opponent's turn?

Now let's take that another step or two.

An enemy tank ends its move in base contact with one model of your units. That model, and any other model of that unit within 2" of it, get to attack the tank on your opponent's turn. This is just like what is said above. On your turn, you are not locked in comabt so you could move away only to charge the tank in your assault phase if you wanted to.

Now here's the fun part. You do not have to move, of course. You could even shoot at some other unit if you wanted to; then in your assault phase, your models in base contact can still take a swing on the tank. You can only move to assault what you have fired at, but you can attack anyone in base contact.

Not like that is going to happen often, but it is there if you need it.

Thanks I thought that you could...

@ Jacinda, I hadn't considered your take on shooting at another target, then attacking the tank you are in base to base with... Do you get much push back from the people you play against when you use that tactic?

No, because you are out of coherency (p46). The only restriction lifted by And They Shall Know No Fear is the "below half strength." In fact, those marines will never regroup unless terrain/models forces them closer together during their fall-back move, as otherwise they always moves toward their table edge by the shortest route possible (ie, two parallel, straight lines). I'd give the SM page but I don't have it on me.

BRB pg. 12

...models in the unit must be moved in such a way that they restore coherency in their next Movement phase

and later on the same page

..they must move to gain coherency as soon as they have the opportunity

Where the Fall Back rules state BRB pg. 45

Each model in the unit falls back directly towards their own table edge by the shortest possible path.

So you must regain coherency by moving the models back to together and also moving towards the board edge as far as it is possible after regaining coherency.

The coherency rules have no give, you must regain coherency as soon as possible.

The Fall Back rules do have 'give' in them, if fact you could even move away from your table edge if that was the 'shortest possible path'.

BRB FAQ

Q: If a unit making a fall back move can only move its

full distance by moving away from its board edge due

to enemy troops and/or impassable terrain does it

count as being Trapped! (p45)

A: No, a unit will only be Trapped! if it is completely

surrounded and is unable to move its full fall back

move in any direction without doubling back on itself.

Thanks I thought that you could...

@ Jacinda, I hadn't considered your take on shooting at another target, then attacking the tank you are in base to base with... Do you get much push back from the people you play against when you use that tactic?

I have only seen it come up once in actual play but it has been discussed in these forums before as well. There was not any push back in my game but then I was the one with the stunned rhino :P

What a great idea for a thread! Is this limited to PA questions, or are we entertaining Xenos questions, using "The What To Fight The Who" as an excuse? a few Xenos examples have popped up in the above answers!

I guess if you phrase it as in "a Spees Marineh club a Dark Eldar Archon"... :D

Archived