New Daemon Army

My chaos marines are just getting too dull to play at the moment, so I'm moving on to another chaotic force-daemons. I've already got some daemons from my marine armies (a squad of horrors and two squads of bloodletters). I've read through the codex for the most part and I've always loved Khorne but the KoS just looks badass with it's I-10. Anyways, I'm wondering for the first HQ should I work on just getting a couple heralds? I.E. a bloodletter on juggernaught and what else? In the troop department I'm definitely going for plaguebearers next. But what about FA or elites? To start out I want a more CC oriented army. The bloodcrushers look cool but they seem so slow. On the other hand the fiends look like they'd be tons of fun. What have you all found when using these?

Fiends & bloodcrushers are good choices, specially if you want the CC orientation.

Bloodcrushers are slow, but you can always run, and they can take some damage, I've always got them into combat without problems.

Fiends are faster, a little more fragile then the crushers, but way faster.

Both are best wielded in t 6 in one squad (IMO)

You can take a KOS, it's quite badass indeed with the I10. Heralds work best in pairs, 2 khorne heralds, or a little better are the Tzeentch variants because they can shoot and pop some transports for your CC units.

Take a look at the review that was created a few years ago. Its located at the top of this sub-forum here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=182813

Long story short, Khorne/Nurgle heralds are pretty bad. Slaanesh and Tzeentch chariot heralds can be really good. Both the KoS and 'Thirster are CC monsters while the GUO is a bit of a bullet magnet thats still quite powerful.

Almost every elite choice is potent, my favorite is the flamers. The FA section is a little weaker but still usable. Plaguebearers are often taken just to hold objectives since they're so strong and lack speed and killing power. 'Letters and/or Daemonettes can be taken as your assault troops.

Give the review a once over and we'll see if we can narrow down what it is you're looking for.

Yeah I've read the review. It has alot of good info in it. I usually like to make a list of units to buy for example a unit of zerkers and PM with a DP first then some oblits etc. Anyways, why is it you find the khorne heralds bad minigun? Just curious as they don't seem too bad, especially skulltaker with insta-kill rending seems pretty nice. To start out with I think I'll be getting a unit of plaguebearers as they seem essential and they'll work well with the bloodletters I have now. Just not too sure about the HQ choice, I'd like to get at least one CC HQ maybe a khorne herald but I'm interested in why that might be a bad choice. I'm definitely going to get a thirster somewhere down the road although they seem like they'd be hard to fit into a game that's 1000 pts or smaller.

Edit: Just broke down and bought a box of crushers and a thirster. I'm a sucker for Khorne! :D

Anyways, why is it you find the khorne heralds bad minigun? Just curious as they don't seem too bad, especially skulltaker with insta-kill rending seems pretty nice.

Its not that they're bad, its that what they excel at (killing infantry) is something that the entire daemon army does SO well already that you have to ask yourself if you need to spend an HQ slot on it.

This is why I am fond of the 'Thirster and KoS instead, because they are anti-tank units as well as infantry killers.

Another question for you, do daemons scale better in larger games? I.E. 2000 + points? It seems like they scale better than their marine counterparts since daemons have more feasable FA and elite choices.

Yes and no.

I think one of the key advantages for daemons is the 5 MCs you can drop onto the table and you can easily fit all 5 plus troops and extras in a 1500 point list. Bigger games leave you with more points for elites and FA but you're still at the same number of MCs, which for me is critical since MCs represent one of the main anti-tank units for daemons.

That being said, the fact that almost all of the elites and some of the FA options are all good, if not great, coupled with 6 slots for very useful troops who can be taken in large squads, gives you a lot of valid options for spending your points. Chaos marines for example don't have those valid options so once you max out certain FOC slots, there isn't much to be gained.

As for your army list, a Nurgle/Khorne combo works very well as it gives you specialized assault units and dedicated objective campers. Just remember that you have little that can pop heavy armor outside of the bloodthirster. This means you need to look at your heavy and HQ slots for more tank busting.

Archived