Finecast pictures and evaluation

I bought the Finecast Tyranid Hive Tyrant which was on a par wirh FW figures I've bought. No bubbles, litle flash but some prominent casting seams. Those were easily removed with a craft knife and very fine wet and dry sandpaper - do not use files on this stuff.

This figure is being converted with wings and two pairs of Devourers so the small square holes for the legs had to be drilled out to fit the Carnifex size arms. With metal this would have been much more difficult. I was able to drill the holes in the resin holding the progressively larger drill bits between my fingers, which gave much better control.

. I was able to drill the holes in the resin holding the progressively larger drill bits between my fingers, which gave much better control.

I noticed this magnetizing my tecchy, I could use drill bits without a pinvice, gave amazing control

I bought a dark angels chapter master today at my local gw store, it was my 1st time actually seeing finecast rather then here on the interwebs. I was impressed, being an old school modeler (all things other then 40k) I was actually happy to see something in resin rather then pewter or plastic. IMHO Its not worth the upgrade in price, with the price rise in the horizon, we should already be getting this quality of miniatures/models from games-workshop, without the word "Finecast" stamped on the box/blister.

The model? A few air-bubbles here and there, but nothing millaput wont take care of, the exhaust on the backpacks are missing the bottom halves, something I couldn't see in the packaging, an easy fix, but like I've said before, with the word of the day being finecast, there should be somebody examining these things when they come off the press, or maybe their product auditor isn't catching these kinda issues.

:P

Sternguard $45/25 pounds

Friend bought me these while visiting England

I would not have bought the metal models since while I don't mind building one metal character I am not interested in building squads of metal models anymore, been there done that.

VERY nice detail and only tiny bubbles, and the back of one foot is flattened a bit. I will have to see if there is more damage once I clean and assemble them.

These will the the first brand new addition to my Ultramarines since 3rd ed.

So far all I've done is wash all the parts with simple green and water like I do for all my models since I like keeping them nice and clean.

Front

http://i53.tinypic.com/f5jdu.jpg

Back

http://i51.tinypic.com/ao2olf.jpg

From the pics it seems that the Sternguard don't have any bubbles or miscasts, good. I was thinking about getting a box for my Star Dragons' first company vet squad. Now all I need are FC LoTD :D help counter the 66 (give or take) old skool metal hybrid LoTD I have...

Hi,

Can somebody with first-hand experience fill me in on how difficult/time consuming it is fixing the apparently common defects with the Finecast range?

My 21st is coming up and I'm looking to buy some formerly metal models, such as Sternguard Vets.

Cheers, Mike.

Hi,

Can somebody with first-hand experience fill me in on how difficult/time consuming it is fixing the apparently common defects with the Finecast range?

My 21st is coming up and I'm looking to buy some formerly metal models, such as Sternguard Vets.

Cheers, Mike.

It isn't too hard if you get slight bubbles or anything, just gap filling and smooth the gs while its still wet, don't sand it. A majority of it is just gap fixing, if any parts are really miscast, get a replacement from GW.

GS can be tricky to work flush - I'd strongly recommend using a very water-sensitive putty like milliput. This can then be applied almost like a wash to fill tiny holes, and larger repairs can be smoothed with a wet paintbrush. The finecast material really doesn't like being sanded, so if you can avoid it, do so.

Archived