The new resin Company Master

Brother Kovash

I was checking out the new line of Finecast models and came across this:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...Id=prod1160026a

The amount of detail looks to be much more compared to the old metal model. I still haven't actually made a company master for my DA successor chapter yet, and having this guy to showcase has piqued my interest. I'll probably order one within the next week or two. Does anyone else think they'll be picking one up as well?

What's the deal with FineCast? Is GW moving away from pewter and going with resin instead?

After looking over some of the Finecast models, I'm honestly not seeing that much difference between the pewter models and the FineCast ones. I doubt seriously I'll be getting any Finecast models. I'd rather kitbash my own CM from the plastic kits available.

What's the deal with FineCast? Is GW moving away from pewter and going with resin instead?

After looking over some of the Finecast models, I'm honestly not seeing that much difference between the pewter models and the FineCast ones. I doubt seriously I'll be getting any Finecast models. I'd rather kitbash my own CM from the plastic kits available.

Upside to finecast is they don't come all as one piece and can be cut easily, so converting them is easier than the metals.

Unfortunately, they are of poor quality...GW rushed the first production run onto the shelves with little to none quality control. I dont know about all the finecast models, but i went through 7 boxes of Canis Wolfborn and returned each and every one of them because of huge obvious defects, such as bubbles, missing detail, thin areas and holes. They ran out of Canis in the store, so they refunded me and I got some chaos raptors. 3 boxes later, i finally picked apart enough "good" parts to make a 5 man squad out of those boxes. A plus with the single models in the see-through packages is that you can look at them and not buy the ones that have defects...I think they rushed them onto the shelves too quickly and could have had a little more quality control. I've looked at the company master myself and it looks to be clean with sharp detail, but the detail is exactly the same as the metal model I have, and my metal model didn't require any greenstuff to fill in holes, bubbles, and pitting...I know resin is a little different to work with, but with all those flaws they should not be charging such a "premium" price. It's worth it for the conversion factor, if you dont mind paying forgeworld prices for backyard casting quality. Just my opinion based on personal experience at the store this weekend.

Yep I've also heard a great many resin horror stories – bubbles and warping being the primary two.

As to the OP's question – I think I'm gonna hold back on purchasing anything until they get the quality control sorted out.

I've already bought the metal CM so I won't be getting the Finecast one. I did plan to get the Terminator Librarian, but now his price has gone up to £14.50 (!!) I'd rather convert one of my plastic Termies instead.

Incidentally, the page for the Librarian showed the unpainted resin model - with part of his left foot missing! Strange that that image has now disappeared... :)

I bought one yesterday, I had no problems it's a great model. I used the citidel thin super glue and chaos black primer and it took both very well. I'm extremely impressed and will never go back to metals, and eventually replace all my metals. I honestly can't wait to paint it up.

I'm still very interested in picking at least a few Finecast models up, even though I've seen a few complaints online as well.

I bought one yesterday, I had no problems it's a great model. I used the citidel thin super glue and chaos black primer and it took both very well. I'm extremely impressed and will never go back to metals, and eventually replace all my metals. I honestly can't wait to paint it up.

Did you wash the resin at all before you primed it? I haven't painted any resin models before, but I've heard that you should wash them with soap and water before painting to get the excess resin off first.

Did you wash the resin at all before you primed it? I haven't painted any resin models before, but I've heard that you should wash them with soap and water before painting to get the excess resin off first.

I don't know from personal experiance but I can say no. GW made a post showing them using a Finecast model and they didn't do that. See it isn't 100% resin it is a special compound mixed with resin so less harmful and easier to convert and stronger and flexible.

There's no real need to wash Finecast models as they use a different release agent to those of Forge World that do require a good wash.

I picked up a Fine Cast Brother Captain Stern, as the basis for a Belial Conversion for my Guardians of the Covenant.

I am very happy and equally impressed with the quality and clarity of the model, and look forward to not having to deal with metal anymore. It weighs less than plastic, any conversion work can be done with a hobby knife and cuts through the resin/plastic hybrid like butter, glues as fast and easily as plastic, super flexible and durable, also I accidentally dropped it while showing a family member and nothing happened (if it was metal, I would probably still be pinning it back together, rather than typing this post out). No molding or miscast problems.

Since it is a hybrid, and it is pre-treated before it is packaged, there is no need for washing, scrubbing or anything else. I give it a 9/10 and look forward to the Fine Cast pieces to come, knowing just how easy power armor additions to any range will be to convert.

Just a quick post to clarify any miss-information here. It is generally wise to wash EVERY model that you work on, prior to priming the model. When you are working with a model, quite a lot of the time you are adding impurities to the model such as oil from hands, as well as dead skin cells....if you are greenstuffing the model you will need to be double sure to get rid of whatever contamination occured from the lubricant you use on the tools you used.

-kizzap

I had zero issues with the Draigo I bought yesterday and the GW store had one displayed next to the metal version and the detail was significantly better. It was especially noticeable in the chains and purity seals.

The fine details is where people will notice the differences. Resin simply flows into molds better than molten metal(dur? :P). The ease of breakage of thin parts will annoy people though(a friend of mine is already cursing at fingers and sword guards on his Mandrakes breaking with barely a touch, and he has a gold and a few other Golden Daemons on his shelf so he isn't exactly an idiot ;)). Sticking mostly to models with chunkier bits will see people happy enough with Finecast stuff, if the casting is decent ion the first place. I've seen good and bad examples of Finecast so far, so just make sure you get the good ones.

It's a shame GW didn't produce limited edition DA master in resin. They cost insane on ebay. :tu:

I don't understand why a limited edition DA would mean it was cheaper...

Thanks for the test ilnar

Well, the only way you can get LE DA Master is via ebay or something similar (can cost x3-4 of a normal price). The model is nice, why not produce it in resin instead of regular DA master?

Archived