Carcharodon army

'Ello people.

I'm working on a Carcharodon force at the moment and I plan (of course) to include the lovely goremachine Tyrberos in it.

So Tyberos have some nifty rules, giving the whole army Furious Charge and also allows you to replace any bolter with a close combat weapon for free.

Now I'm working on a Tactical Squad at the moment, and as you can see in my blog (Link will follow) I've armed four of them with Bolters and one with a Special Weapon.

I'm far from a gamer as I've only played a single (!!) test game in a store, despite being into the hobby for about 15 years. So I'm not really sure how to build an effective army around Tyberos rules.

Should I give the rest of the squad Close Combat Weapons and Bolt Pistols?

Or should I just go all Bolters (Maybe a Heavy Weapon as well) and make another Tactical Squad that's all armed with CCW's?

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to armour on my Carcharodons meaning that I have to convert the arms wielding the Bolt Pistols and Chainswords to match the armour of the wielder.

So I guess I got my work cut out for me if I chose to include some close combat Tactical squads :(

Some input would be great.

Here's my Carcharodons

I think to gain full benefit of Tyberos' rule, you should arm one with CCW and BP and stick with one having bolters for close range support. Have to units working together, the bolter squad softens up the enemy and then the CCW squad moves in for the kill. Give the CCW squad a flamer (could use a meltagun but they are going to be attacking infantry a lot of the time).

Converting wise, get the black templars upgrade sprue because it has loads of chainswords and bolt pistols (you get 2 of the sprue shown in the pic) or get some assault marines.

Hope this helps and your painting is great as well ;)

Vulkan

I (Being a Black templar Player) also have to agree with Vulkan454. You dont want to mix and match bolters with CC weapons. You cant charge after firing a rapid fire weapon or a heavy weapon and you will find the temptation to fire as much as you can will spoil your chance to get in a good charge.

Keep your squads armed with bolters and a heavy weapon for maximum fire effect and other squads with CC weapons and assault special weapons (Flamers and melta guns) for maximum mobility and close combat effectiveness. Works well for the Templars.

Love your paint scheme. Cant wait to see them with the shark transfers.

In defense of mixing weapons:

There are advantaves for mixing bolters and ccws in a single unit and ther are some misconceptions in the previous posts:

1) You don't waste any shooting potential by keeping bolters because those Marines are still equipped with bolt-pistols. The ccw replaces the bolter - that is it.

2) Bolters give you a bit more shooting potential when charging into your opponent is not the best idea and allow you to engage opponents out to 24" should your unit need to stay put for a moment.

Really, what it boils down to is every bolter that is replaced by a ccw allows for one more attack in close combat for the loss of one shooting attack prior. However, I would experiment with mixing weapons in SOME of your squads. While specialized units definitely have their place, a few more diverse units mixed in actually have their place.

Although my style is to make whole squads do "that thing", bannus is spot on as well in his analysis. The follow-up question then is: what do you want to do?

I understand maximizing the use of a rule, but just because it's there does not necessitate it's use. In other words, you don't *have* to have CCW Tactical Squads ... although that is cool :P

The Black Templars may be another resource forum for you since their Troops have the same option (Bolters or CCW/BP). Be wary, the BT ultimately play differently, but some inspiration in how to use mixed weapon squads (or not) may be gleaned from them.

^_^

Hey thanks for the wisdom guys.

I really appreciate it :confused:

I've decided to go for an all shooty squad.

If I build another Tactical Squad I might just give the whole squad Chainswords.

As I will field Tyberos I can include a Terminator Squad with Lightning Claws as a troops choice, so I might just settle for one Tactical Squad in the army.