DA Tactics Blog

minionboy

Hey guys, while I've been painting my Fallen, I've decided to do a little series of DA tactics on my blog to help new DA players. I've already posted the first article, which is just a brief primer and points out some of the important point cost differences, and I'll probably be adding more weekly. If any of you have suggestions for things I could add, I would greatly appreciate your input!

EDIT: Here are the sections, I'll try to update with a new section every monday:

Intro: http://www.thediceabide.com/2011/05/dark-a...he-differences/

HQ: http://www.thediceabide.com/2011/06/dark-a...s-headquarters/

Elites: http://www.thediceabide.com/2011/06/dark-a...tactics-elites/

Troops: http://www.thediceabide.com/2011/06/dark-a...tactics-troops/

Fast Attack: http://www.thediceabide.com/2011/06/dark-a...cs-fast-attack/

Heavy Support: http://www.thediceabide.com/2011/07/dark-a...-heavy-support/

I suggest you take a look around "Laws of the Lions thread". it has many tactica input you can use.

I also suggest that any tactica you stumble upon that isn't on B&C you can share here.

I'll definitely poke around there, and any I do find, Ill share here as well. I just meant to start with an introduction and some of the point differences that sit on the surface, before I even go into the individual unit tactics and subtleties.

its too bad that you cant search for that thread. all of the words in the title are too short and it doesnt come back with any results.

As a courtesy, please ensure that anything you incorporate into your blog that originates from the B&C is credited to the B&C and the members that first developed it here.

I certainly plan on it, I'm mostly writing based on my own experience, though should I draw upon other sources for content or read other people's tactics and find something interesting, there will definitely be attribution. There are a lot of things mentioned on a lot of sites and it's very easy to come to the same or similar conclusions without reading other peoples works, it doesn't take a detective to notice the stat differences between a DA chaplain and a vanilla one, so just because I do mention something that may be on the Laws of the Lion, or somewhere else, it doesn't mean I copied it from there. I do consider myself an honest person and I will be sure to give credit where it is due.

EDIT - I'll probably be directing people here anyhow after my last tactics section anyhow. :)

I have a question: I fyou could help me with this. I have just been informed that DA canot use the Drop pod assault rule as listed in the 5th edition Marines Codex. Is this correct?

Did I just take it for granted?

help me out and sorry if this question has already come up..............

Deathwing Assault – This is basically the same as Drop Pod Assault, but at the same time they’re entirely separate. If you take 3 units of terminators, then 2 will arrive turn 1. If you also take 3 units in drop pods, then that means turn 1 you have 2 terminator squads and 2 pods in on the first turn… pretty sexy if you ask me.

Sexy but wrong. Dark Angels drop pods go into reserve and roll to see if they arrive from turn 2 onwards. They have the deep strike rule and must use it, that's all.

Overall I agree with what you say about the elites choices. I hadn't considered the 'available troops slots' angle on scouts before. I might work up an army list later that fills all the troop slots with Ravenwing and Deathwing squads, just to see what it looks like. I think I've got the models to do it too. ;)

Ravenwing bikes are all equipped with Teleport Homers, and they scout; the tactic is simple, scout the bikes, drop the terminators and any supporting drop pods within 6″ and nothing scatters.

Teleport homers have no effect on drop pods, as they're not teleporting. See the post above mine as well regarding their arrival.

While I admire your effort in attempting this, I'm not sure you're quite ready to be writing these guides. I wonder, if you're this unfamiliar with your own codex, how well you know the BRB and the game in general.

No offense intended, but 40k has a LOT of minutia involved with almost every aspect of the game, and you've already missed a few technical, but important, things. The points differences between C:SM and C:DA may be mildly interesting, but I think most experienced players will agree that they really don't matter, and the need to point them out can be somewhat indicative of a newer player.

Apologies if I've micturated on your carpet.

edited for clarity

Deathwing Assault – This is basically the same as Drop Pod Assault, but at the same time they’re entirely separate. If you take 3 units of terminators, then 2 will arrive turn 1. If you also take 3 units in drop pods, then that means turn 1 you have 2 terminator squads and 2 pods in on the first turn… pretty sexy if you ask me.

Sexy but wrong. Dark Angels drop pods go into reserve and roll to see if they arrive from turn 2 onwards. They have the deep strike rule and must use it, that's all.

Overall I agree with what you say about the elites choices. I hadn't considered the 'available troops slots' angle on scouts before. I might work up an army list later that fills all the troop slots with Ravenwing and Deathwing squads, just to see what it looks like. I think I've got the models to do it too. :lol:

Thanks for pointing that out, I thought I edited that out, but it seems that a friend of mine who was editing it at the time overwrote my changes. I really didn't notice the effect of scouts being elites until I wanted to try them out in an army and was out of troops choices, then it kind of dawned on me. Sure they're not scoring, but DA have no shortage of good scoring units.

Ravenwing bikes are all equipped with Teleport Homers, and they scout; the tactic is simple, scout the bikes, drop the terminators and any supporting drop pods within 6″ and nothing scatters.

Teleport homers have no effect on drop pods, as they're not teleporting. See the post above mine as well regarding their arrival.

While I admire your effort in attempting this, I'm not sure you're quite ready to be writing these guides. I wonder, if you're this unfamiliar with your own codex, how well you know the BRB and the game in general.

No offense intended, but 40k has a LOT of minutia involved with almost every aspect of the game, and you've already missed a few technical, but important, things. The points differences between C:SM and C:DA may be mildly interesting, but I think most experienced players will agree that they really don't matter, and the need to point them out can be somewhat indicative of a newer player.

Apologies if I've micturated on your carpet.

edited for clarity

Thanks for pointing out the teleport homer, if I didn't want other people's feedback, I wouldn't have asked for it! I'll make those quick changes, and frankly, I'm surprised I missed those differences. It's also something I'm a little surprised they didn't bring in line with C:SM when they updated pretty much everything else, oh well, that's not an excuse.

Also, I don't think it's necessary though to insult my knowledge of the game because I misspoke about the minute differences between two items of the same name, I've been playing 15 years and don't appreciate your snide remark. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who has misspoke about a minute detail about an army, regardless of level of familiarity. Maybe you could prove me wrong, but I'm fairly certain all people make mistakes.

EDIT: I should add that I don't offend easily, but at the same time, saying "no offense" doesn't really make anything you say less offensive.

Take a look at my first post, especially the part that says "If any of you have suggestions for things I could add, I would greatly appreciate your input!" I'm not pretending to be the end all god of all Dark Angels, quite the opposite, I'm trying to make a series of articles that would be useful to people who are getting into the DA army because I love the army, not to stroke my ego. I WANT people's input and suggestions, but I don't appreciate it when people use that as an opportunity to try and make themselves feel superior by pointing out a minute mistake in the rules for something as trivial as a Teleport Homer. Instead you can be constructive and point out that I misspoke, or even add some more of your own suggestions! Crazy huh?

Sorry about the rant, I just feel that this kind of attitude is very damaging to the online community and the hobby as a whole.

Some more fixes for you: :FA:

- Deathwing assault can be like Drop pod assault for normal marines. But the crucial difference is you MAY choose to use DWA and you are not obliged to do so. This is a mayor difference as you can also deploy on the board, or come in from reserves starting from T2 on a 4+ like all normal reserves.

For example, you reserve 3 units of Deathwing, and you opponent goes all reserve. rather then DWA in their deploymentzone and be shot/charged to death when he rolls you on you can just choose not to DWA and wait out a turn untill there is something for you to hit when landing.

- The sarge is NOT always a model to roll separately even if he has his own stat line.

the BRB says you roll saves to gether for models that are "identical in gaming terms". as the sarge can have the same wargear, statline and so on as another guy just beeing the sarge would not make him a separate wound allocation group.

The rest is not corrections, just my p.o.v.

Regarding how you build units there are several configs, but broadly speaking I have 2 types;

Belial and his 5 TH&SS guys with CML, banner, apothecary. And the default squad (2 x TH&SS, CML+SB+CF, PF+SB and SB+Powerweapon (the sarge, who can also be equiped with TLC for the same ammount of wound allocation groups.)

way I play it and no regrets yet.

Other option people do is divide into ranged squads with all guns or just one TH&SS for lascannons and up close squads with full TH&SS layouts or other cc variations (one claws for wound allocations for example.) So many options, gone are the days that our squads were all 250 points for 5 guys, claws, assault canon and one chainfist.

Some more fixes for you: :D

- Deathwing assault can be like Drop pod assault for normal marines. But the crucial difference is you MAY choose to use DWA and you are not obliged to do so. This is a mayor difference as you can also deploy on the board, or come in from reserves starting from T2 on a 4+ like all normal reserves.

For example, you reserve 3 units of Deathwing, and you opponent goes all reserve. rather then DWA in their deploymentzone and be shot/charged to death when he rolls you on you can just choose not to DWA and wait out a turn untill there is something for you to hit when landing.

- The sarge is NOT always a model to roll separately even if he has his own stat line.

the BRB says you roll saves to gether for models that are "identical in gaming terms". as the sarge can have the same wargear, statline and so on as another guy just beeing the sarge would not make him a separate wound allocation group.

The rest is not corrections, just my p.o.v.

Regarding how you build units there are several configs, but broadly speaking I have 2 types;

Belial and his 5 TH&SS guys with CML, banner, apothecary. And the default squad (2 x TH&SS, CML+SB+CF, PF+SB and SB+Powerweapon (the sarge, who can also be equiped with TLC for the same ammount of wound allocation groups.)

way I play it and no regrets yet.

Other option people do is divide into ranged squads with all guns or just one TH&SS for lascannons and up close squads with full TH&SS layouts or other cc variations (one claws for wound allocations for example.) So many options, gone are the days that our squads were all 250 points for 5 guys, claws, assault canon and one chainfist.

I'll make sure I emphasize that Deathwing Assault is an option, not mandatory.

I've heard a lot of arguments on the Sergeant, and good ol' GW is failsauce at FAQ's, I'll just cut that out and let people draw their own conclusions. Also, would you be so kind as to put your builds in the comments on my blog? It's always nice to have all that kind of stuff in the same place.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've heard a lot of arguments on the Sergeant, and good ol' GW is failsauce at FAQ's,

You can say that again...

This is the conclusion I came to (quoting myself):

They say "different profile" but don't explain further. They say "in game terms" but I have no idea what means. I guess we are to take that as the title of a character is meaningless in game terms it only about stats, wargear, etc...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...t&p=2654611

Make sense though. His title has no effect on the game.

That thread (which I see you posted in) has quite a bit of information regarding unit composition. Of course it's also a few months old now, but it came out just after the FAQ.

Thank you all for your feedback, I'm nearly done with all of the sections of the book, afterwards I think I'll try to wrap it up with some sample army lists. If you have one to suggest, let me know the list and your thoughts on it and I will credit you!

Fast attack section has been updated, assault squads and ravenwing! It's just a briefing on the ravenwing units, not a Tactica Ravenwing army, since that would open an whole other can of worms.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived