Removing shoulder pads

Hello Good People of the PCA Forums :) i come in ineed of some help and advice in removing the metal shoulds from some plastic marines.

After having a wild(spending wise) few months last year i brough lots and lots of marines off ebay that were undercoated black but had metal shoulder pads on of various chaos and imperial SM chapters. Id like to rip them off and put on some different ones to make a Badab war loyalist crusade army.

How is the best way of removing the shoulder pads from the arms? taking the arms off is one thing but getting the arms out of the pad is proving to be tricky.

any thoughts or guidance?

cheers

KCA

I'd suggest either superglue solvent, though i don't know if this would affect the plastics.

Other options are to freeze the mini which will make the superglue bond brittle, or if you are going to strip them in a non-ionic surfactant cleaner, that tends to weaken superglue bonds too.

Good luck!

Other options are to freeze the mini which will make the superglue bond brittle

^This

, or if you are going to strip them in a non-ionic surfactant cleaner, that tends to weaken superglue bonds too.

Good luck!

Bring me up scotty...sci-fi for the win :D

Come on... it does sound some far future component for mass destruction or something...

...doesn't it?

In all fairness, sometimes I prefer to hear more technical terms. I do spend ALOT of my working hours keeping my speech relatively simple and limiting the verbosity of it. If I find I'm reading something I don't fully understand I'll look it up. It's what I do. Unlike a significant percentage of my punters. :)

Easy-Off oven cleaner - strip the primer and break down the superglue at the same time. Those shoulderpads will fall off!

I found out about this several years ago by acccident. I was stripping an old metal/plastic Devastator Marine w/multi-melta. When I picked it up out of the container I sealed it in while the fumes did their work, it fell apart in my hand.

...doesn't it?

:)

Serves me right for being nerdy enough to use posh words to describe surface cleaner!

Just in case... I was not making fun: I also appreciate technical concepts, since most of the times the products are not global.

For example, when people say "oven clearner", they usually mean "sodium hydroxide based", which is what takes away the grease.

It never ceases to amaze me how much the BnC knowledge can tackle on...

Archived