Symbol for Elites Right shoulder.

I've thought about this myself as to what shoulder pads I should use on Vanguard Veterans. The codex suggests using squad markings on the right shoulder pad, but I was considering finding some pads with the terminator crux on.

I'm presume I'm right in thinking at being part of the 1st company all Vanguard and Sternguard would be trained and have the honours for Terminator armour?

[Edit]

Just found this on the Lexicanum which shows some examples of heraldry for the right shoulder pad for veterans. My painting sucks, so I may go for the moulded terminator crux pads after all.

How and when is Terminator Honour awarded? Is everyone who gets it automatically transferred to 1st Company? I don't think so.

IMHO the Crux Terminatoris is a good way of distinguishing your more elite veterans from for example Veteran Sergeants.

Or maybe everyone who becomes a veteran (profile wise) gets trained in using TDA, but there isn't enough armour around for everyone to use it.

How and when is Terminator Honour awarded? Is everyone who gets it automatically transferred to 1st Company?
Actually the "Space marine chapter organization" shows the 1st company to be 20 Terminator squads (5 each) or 10 Veteran squads (10 each). So it stands to reason that every vet in the 1st co have terminator honors.

I looked and looked for a real answer to a similar question, there is no right or wrong concrete answer though. I ended up using the Terminator Crux shoulder pad on the left side with the chapter badge on the right, just like a terminator. Actually for me, the deciding factor was that the left pad was exposed but the right pad was somewhat hidden, and I wanted the Crux to show.

The cross per C:SM 2nd ed is the 1st co symbol (hence this is teh symbol for Elites in FOX and for store managers in GW events day shirts...) - there is actually a stone cross on the shoulder pad or a small badge / dangly thing which represents the crux terminatus IIRC

That makes sense I think.

I've noticed the transfer sheets from FW contain the cross along with the other "standard" squad icons. So for somebody who can't freehand, that is the other option along with the PA Crux pads.

I use the DA sword shoulder pads for my unit symbol for my sternguard. There's also lots of sword motifs on my termies as well. I justify it by saying that since the IF are master swordsmen it shows their veteran status to have an "honor blade" on their armor.

How and when is Terminator Honour awarded? Is everyone who gets it automatically transferred to 1st Company? I don't think so.

IMHO the Crux Terminatoris is a good way of distinguishing your more elite veterans from for example Veteran Sergeants.

Or maybe everyone who becomes a veteran (profile wise) gets trained in using TDA, but there isn't enough armour around for everyone to use it.

You get it for having been deemed worthy of wearing terminator armor.

Technically you get promoted to the 1st co to be trained in Termie armour, which makes you a better fighter both in and out of Mk 6 tactical dreadnaught suits - and once you are trained you benefit from termie honours...

Which Codices actually have terminator honours as a trait? In C:BA at least the TDA veterans, the vanguard and sternguard veterans and the veteran sregeants all have the same stats.

Now I found out how it works in BA. All veteran squads are part of the 1st Company, but only a few of its members have terminator honours.

Not sure how veteran sergeant are organized, in the company of the squad they lead or 1st Company.

Unless I overrread it, the codex does not say either, whether it is possible for a veteran sergeant to have terminator honours.

Since the crux does not do anything in our codex at least, there should be no problem with using it on any sort of veteran.

Generally - in 4th edition and prior, marines would get TH as an optional increase. 1st Co would generally be assumed to have TH, but you could get veteran squads without, and you could also get sarges without. In the current codecii, TH is "assumed" in teh profile for all sergenats and all veterans, whether or not they truly have it as TH doesn't exist. In BA the 1st co and Veteran symbol is golden helmets and a skull company badge, not the normal cross.

There is a plethora of possibilities in Insignium Astartes for veterans. The Crux terminatus power armour shoulder pad is a good choice though. 1st Co veterans recieve training in terminator armour upon joining the 1st Co. But you can also make the shoulder pad more decorative, as veterans are given more leeway at that point to personalize their armour.

Archived