Landspeeder kit

Tried building my first landspeeder. Failed miserably.

Assembled the lower part of the hull. Jolly good.

Tried attaching the upper part. Failed. Everything behind the pilots' seats snapped in place nicely. The "nose" part however refused to come together; significant gaps between the "hood" and the lower hull resulted, right where the forward antenna attached and symmetrically on the other side of the hull. Even after rubberbanding it together, the assembled hull ended up several millimeters "thicker" than it should have been, and the antenna+headlight assembly did not attach correctly.

Ended up asking for a replacement from GW, waiting on shipment. But before I botch another kit, has anyone else had this issue?

No, your not doing anything wrong, the land speeders are infamous for this issue. I would checked the tension you have between gluing the two pieces together, I would go as far as finding a vice grip/strong clamp when assembling land speeders or even putting together the sides of a land raider, or tank. Use glue for plastics of course and leave a good enough time to cure the two pieces together, when using glue for plastic, the glue will actually melt the two sections together, creating a single piece or there of. So, clamp the holy bolters out of it and leave it to cure, a good while.

What I do is I actually have a table vice grip, you know... the kind that sets on the end of a table by way of hand torque. When I work with things like land-speeders, I usually grip it together, even after rubber-banding it together (just the frontal nose area) to keep the issues your having from rearing their ugly heads.

p.s. Thats why your probably having the thickness issue, from using too much glue and the plastic not only melted together, it probably bubbled out like using too much detergent in the warsh lol. (Wash).. ;)

No, lol... not an epic battle just common modeling knowledge. Just pay a little extra attention to the contact points on any model and or miniature. Especially to those who require a little extra tension to get the two pieces together, whether it'd be from warp plastics, or just plan weird design of the model. I've done a few ravenwing commissions a few years back and I can tell ya, no two land speeders were the same when gluing them together. A few were easy cheesy, and another required a little extra love (Bob Ross style).

I've had this sort of problem before, so you're not the only one, brother. It did kinda put me off landspeeders forever more though. ;)

Also;

and another required a little extra love (Bob Ross style).

And now I have Bob Ross in my head, assembling miniatures for a diorama, talking about where his happy trees should live. :woot:

Rubber bands. When you need those extra hands to clamp stuff together.

It's an old trick I learned years ago.

That was what I used for five of my eight speeders.

Three are 3rd ed plastics.

Two are current recut plastics.

The recut current ones fit together better than the original ones, but they still benefit from rubber bands during assembly.

God I hate assembling Land Speeders to the point I nver made it past 2 for my personal collection. Doing well over a dozen for comission work I've refined the assembly to the point it's not that difficult if you approach it correctly.

Trimming and dry fitting is a must, even a tiny bit of sprue nib or flash in the wrong place and the damn things will not go together right.

You also need some clamps, a few 6" quick clamps and the cheap plastic spring clamps will do the job. Rubber bands can work but they tend to either be to tight/loose get tangled in things, or break at the wrong time so I only use them if I have no other option. And if you want to argue costs of the clamps not being worth it I have maybe $10 invested in clamps and they've saved more than the cost in removeing frustration and agrivation from assembly.

It's interesting that you are having these problems, because I've assembled a fair number of the new Land Speeder kits and they are an absolute dream to assemble. Everything fits and snaps together perfectly.

You wouldn't by any chance be assembling the old style land speeder, would you, where the top of the land speeder from front to back is one big piece? Those were notorious for never coming together properly... (if the kit has plastic assault cannons/heavy flamers/typhoon missiles, you have the new kit)

DV8

I have one new one almost assembled, and one of the old ones waiting for a .pdf from GW since I can't find the instruction booklet.

So far only problem I've had with the new one is getting the long side panels to slide into place.

It's interesting that you are having these problems, because I've assembled a fair number of the new Land Speeder kits and they are an absolute dream to assemble. Everything fits and snaps together perfectly.

You wouldn't by any chance be assembling the old style land speeder, would you, where the top of the land speeder from front to back is one big piece? Those were notorious for never coming together properly... (if the kit has plastic assault cannons/heavy flamers/typhoon missiles, you have the new kit)

DV8

The old packs are a nightmare...but clamps and GS will make your life easier.

Praise the Omnissiah, I figured it out last night. Games Workshop, amazingly, had the replacement kit delivered to me by Monday, which is incredible. It's a new kit, not the old kit.

The culprit is the "instrumentation board" in the cockpit. Without it, everything comes together beautifully. With it, the little piece in the middle (which goes under the curved central "roll cage bar" over the cockpit) prevents the top and bottom pieces of the hull from joining as intended. I cut the instrumentation board in half, and removed the piece that joins the driver's side of the board and the gunner's side of the board, and glued them on separately.

...yeah, I know, it's hard to explain without pictures. But I didn't think of taking the pictures last night.

Anyway, if you are putting together a landspeeder, try dry-fitting the hull without the instrumentation panel, and you'll see what I mean.

I still don't understand how you're having trouble with the new Land Speeder kit. I've assembled 8 or 9 of them perfectly without modifications and without difficulties. :S

DV8

Well dv8 I got the first one together(new kit) with no problems, second one (old kit) couldn't get the top and bottom parts to stay together, even with 4 rubber bands... Well long story short, its in the trash after being tossed around the room a bit.

Archived