New to B&C

Hey everybody, I've known of B&C for several years now, but started lurking VERY regularly just in the past month.

I found out about Warhammer and 40K universe from some demo disc back in 2003 that had the first Dawn of War on it. I've played all the DoW's, started reading some 40K books in 2006. Once DoW released in 2004 and I had beaten it I decided to figure out what it was all about, which first lead me to games-workshop and then to several wikis. Which got me into the books. I've always been aware of the hobbies involved with the models (painting, playing, conversions). There isn't a bunker or hobby store within 5 hours of me, so I've never been able to actually get any(I guess I'm too lazy to just order some off the interwebz).

Anyway, I finally decided to register today, and I'm looking to get involved with the B&C website and start painting.

Still not owning any models, my first order of business is getting several. On the agenda is to make and paint(in no particular scheme) each model of space marine power armor(mk.I-MkIIX) then a company(which I believe is ten units) of Blood Ravens, and a Company of Night Lords.

Cheers ;)

I think lurking may be the word you're looking for. Trolling is usually something more... negative. Hated, in fact.

Dawn of War was also what got me into Warhammer 40,000 (that and some croquet hoops).

Yes, a Company is indeed 10 squads. If I recall, something which might help you with your armor mark collection is "Armor through the ages" or something. It's a set sold by GW which covers several marks of power armor. Or you can try the Forgeworld armor sets, but those come in boxes of ten.

I hope you enjoy your stay on the Bolter and Chainsword, I know I do. The B&C is the best forum I've ever used, so I hope it won't disappoint!

Hail and welcome, brother. Increasingly I have heard people say they've got into the hobby through DoW and I have to say I'm pleased that such a game can introduce people to 40k as well as any word of mouth can. To me, as a little bit of a vet, seeing DoW get released was great. It was a computer game for the hobby I love and with any luck a magnet for others to be drawn to. Years down the line and the evidence of such an occurrance is obvious, with members joining forums, like yourself, having had a taste of the universe we all know through DoW. It makes me glad. Glad that others will enjoy what I enjoy. Glad that, with more and more new blood, it's seen as less nerdy than it used to be simply because of popularity. Glad that new members will need advice and guidance from more experienced people here.

So, as I've said, hail and welcome. If you have any questions, just ask. We will be glad to help. :devil:

I do have one question thus far. I am seeing a lot of pictures about contests and vows in members signatures. What is this about and where can I find more information on those things?

Ah, yes. Some of those pictures are members advertising their blogs or websites, some are rewards for winning contests or completing vows. You might be able to find threads related to this but I, having not entered such events before, know little. If you want, I advise PMing a mod about it - they'd be far more informative than I. :tu:

Every so often, a contest or event comes up. For instance, I just took the Librarium Painting Challenge banner off my sig. That happens every year in the beginning. Currently, I have one for the brawl league in the Space wolf forum. That's starting right now, so you can get into that. I have the community DIY Project on the right, which occurs on a schedule that only Brother Tyler knows. Check the Liber for that. Call of Chaos is a painting challenge where you have to paint certain things by a date. That should be here at some point, depending on whether Brother Nihm notices his thread or not.

Call of Chaos is a painting challenge where you have to paint certain things by a date. That should be here at some point, depending on whether Brother Nihm notices his thread or not.

Well, a Mod or two has been in there lately, pruning back the ugly growth of double posts. I think they're just doing that scary silence thing rather than just saying "We haven't thought about this lately" because it looks cooler.

But forgive me. Welcome to the B&C Brother Elochai! I look forward to seeing you around.

Archived