Color Scheme Help

I've come up with a new color scheme for a DIY called the Corsairs. They are to be a fleet based chapter. They are a loyalist chapter & have no affiliation with the Red Corsairs. :D

I'm having troubles deciding which scheme I like better and would appreciate some feedback on the schemes.

Scheme # 1

sm.php?b62c=@hHUBL_hd0fp.iagtx____...ia3xC.hk8Yt@@_.@@@@@@@@@@@____@@@@@@@@@@hk8Ythk8Yt@@@...@@.____hk8Ytiakk7&

Scheme # 2

sm.php?b62c=@hHUBL_hd0fp.iagtx____...ia3xC.hk8Yt__hYbiBhYbiB@@@@@@@@@@@____@@@@@@@@@@hk8Ythk8Yt__@...@@.____hk8Ytiakk7&

I'm open to any comments or suggestions on the schemes.

I like the second one better, too. But I am not sold on the yellow helmet... :)

The problem is - I would advocate the helmet being the same colour as the armour around it but then that would make it very Storm Warden-ish. Hmm.

The inspiration for the scheme comes from the F4U-1 Corsair. A lot of them had a two tone (sometimes 3 tone) blue paint scheme w/yellow stripes on the wings & fuselage or the engine cowling.

That's the reason for the yellow helmet coloring. I thought about doing one of the knee pads yellow & saying they were 2nd company but I think it may look a little more out of place than the helmet.

Example:

sm.php?b62c=@hHUBL_hd0fp.hk8Yt____@@@ia3xC@.@@_iagtx@@@@iagtx@@@@@@____@@@@@@@@@@..@@@@@@@@@____.iakk7&

-or-

sm.php?b62c=@hd0fp_hHUBL.hk8Yt@@@@@@@ia3xC@.@@hYbiBhYbiB____iagtx______@@@@__________..@@_@@@__@@@@@.iakk7&

i like the light blue helmet/yellow knee

you could easily put squad marking or whatever over the yellow on the kneepad , it would really pop

you could also colour in one shoulder yellow to break up the top half a bit..

get stuck into a test mini , thats the best way to see what it will look like!

The inspiration for the scheme comes from the F4U-1 Corsair. A lot of them had a two tone (sometimes 3 tone) blue paint scheme w/yellow stripes on the wings & fuselage or the engine cowling.

That's the reason for the yellow helmet coloring. I thought about doing one of the knee pads yellow & saying they were 2nd company but I think it may look a little more out of place than the helmet.

Example:

sm.php?b62c=@hd0fp_hHUBL.hk8Yt@@@@@@@ia3xC@.@@hYbiBhYbiB____iagtx______@@@@__________..@@_@@@__@@@@@.iakk7&

I prefer this one, but with that Dark Blue helmet would yellow eyes kind of like the knee pad look better?

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. I've narrowed my choices down to one of the two following:

Option # 1

sm.php?b62c=@hHUBL_hd0fp.iagtx____...ia3xC.hk8Yt@@_.@@@@@@@@@@@____@@@@@@@@@@hk8Ythk8Yt@@@...@@.____hk8Ytiakk7&

Option # 2

sm.php?b62c=@hHUBL_hd0fp.hk8Yt____@@@ia3xC@.@@_iagtx@@@@iagtx@@@@@@____@@@@@@@@@@..@@@@@@@@@____.iakk7&

Here is what the colors would be:

Dark Blue Portions: GW Citadel Fenris Grey

Light Blue/Grey Portions: GW Citadel Shadow Grey

Yellow Portions: GW Citadel Golden Yellow

not to be awkward, but have you considered painting the aquila the same colour as the helmet? I think burnished gold would look nice... :lol:

Otherwise I would paint test minis of both the schemes and see what they are like in the flesh, so to speak. I ended up doing about 5 tests before I settled on a scheme for my DIY as reality looked different to the painter...but in the end I thought using a cheap ebay combat squad in this way was a good investment.

I'm not sure Fenris Grey is that dark when it dries, I used it after designing a Dark scheme on the B&C Painter for some Marines and it came out paler than I expected. Necron Abyssal is a darker Blue/Grey you can see the swatch images on the GW website which I've linked below.

Fenris Grey swatch @ GW

Necron Abyssal swatch @ GW

Otherwise I would paint test minis of both the schemes and see what they are like in the flesh, so to speak. I ended up doing about 5 tests before I settled on a scheme for my DIY as reality looked different to the painter...but in the end I thought using a cheap ebay combat squad in this way was a good investment.

Listen to the facman here, he speaks words of great wisdom!

as i said earlier, i would recommend what deathknight just said , about doing the opposite inner shoulder pad yellow , to balance the mini a bit , (my opinion )

either way i still like the one with the blue helmet and yellow knee pad ,

i think its time for a test mini to be sure ;)

@facmanpob: The helmet is actually supposed to be Golden Yellow instead of gold. I did think about doing the Aquila in gold, or yellow, but on the painter it looked too out of place to me with the light blue of the chest armor. It did look good with the dark blue chest armor though. I have quite a few left over AoBR miniatures that I can use to test the colors out.

@Jimmy Carmine: After looking at the links you posted, the Fenris Grey is actually much closer to what I wanted for the darker blue. I think the Necron Abyss would be too dark but thanks for the heads up. I agree with you & facmanpob I think I should get a couple of test minis. The problem is I don't have these paints yet & I'm not 100% I'm sold on the scheme, which is part of the reason I posted it; to see what everyone else thought of it.

@DeathKnight2000 & barry_hhh: I agree with both of you on this one. Unfortunately, I'm already doing that with my Priory of Dorn DIY & don't want these looking like a blue version of them. I do think it is a bit unbalanced with the yellow knee pad, which is why I think I'm leaning more towards the yellow helmet, for some symmetry.

@Chapter Master Ignis Domus: Thanks. I'm kind of partial to that one too. I'm a bit afraid to paint this much blue though as I usually do earthy tones & am much more comfortable with them. Of course that is also part of the reason I thought of doing a blue scheme; to step out of my comfort zone a little.

@Octavulg: I'll see if I can get time do do a test of each scheme this weekend & post it up for further review.

@Rafen_2: Do you mean like this? (Honestly, thinking about it, I didn't think it would look very good but I threw it into the SMP & I kind of like it. Thanks for the suggestion.)

sm.php?b62c=@hHUBL_hd0fp.iagtx____@@@.@hk8Yt@@..@@@@.@@@.@@._._@@@@@@@@@@hk8Ythk8Yt@@@@@@@@@____hk8Ytiakk7&

@Rafen_2: Do you mean like this? (Honestly, thinking about it, I didn't think it would look very good but I threw it into the SMP & I kind of like it. Thanks for the suggestion.)

sm.php?b62c=@hHUBL_hd0fp.iagtx____@@@.@hk8Yt@@..@@@@.@@@.@@._._@@@@@@@@@@hk8Ythk8Yt@@@@@@@@@____hk8Ytiakk7&

Exactly like that. If you're going to have the three colors might as well have an equal amount. Happy you like.

Archived