What would you call the last Horus Heresy book?

Zincite

Most likely, since Games Workshop will milk it (sorry fan boys, that's how businesses work) they'll finish The Horus Heresy and start The Scouring, leading into The Age Of Apostasy.

I think the final book should be the Iron Cage, the Codex Astartes and the foundation of the Imperium as we know it.

That would be one of several good places to end. Though it might make a better short story than the exact final moment of the entire series.

The Iron Cage needs a novel of its own. It's position as an epic battle and a denoument and closure to the whole "new Imperium," wrangling makes it an ideal endpoint, surely?

I think the final book should be the Iron Cage, the Codex Astartes and the foundation of the Imperium as we know it.

That would be one of several good places to end. Though it might make a better short story than the exact final moment of the entire series.

The Iron Cage needs a novel of its own. It's position as an epic battle and a denoument and closure to the whole "new Imperium," wrangling makes it an ideal endpoint, surely?

That depends upon how it's written and who by. As good as authors are at it, another huge battle, smaller than the one which effectively ended the Heresy, might not have the right level of impact or closure to the saga.

One last book after the Siege of Terra containing a number of short stories focusing upon each of the legions and factions involved would be able to give a better conclusion to the whole thing.

Each to their own though.

• 2 weeks later...

That depends upon how it's written and who by. As good as authors are at it, another huge battle, smaller than the one which effectively ended the Heresy, might not have the right level of impact or closure to the saga.

One last book after the Siege of Terra containing a number of short stories focusing upon each of the legions and factions involved would be able to give a better conclusion to the whole thing.

Each to their own though.

We need a denouement as well as a climax. The Lord of the Rings doesn't end with Sauron imploding; it goes on to explain the consequences et cetera.

• 3 weeks later...

The Siege needs two books. One anthology, and one novel. The novel needs to be Abnett, as he started the series and is the only author who would feel comfortable with the reigns behind the Horus vs. Emperor showdown.

The Anthology needs to be 10 short stories, 10,000 words each. I'd love for each of them to be about a major Legionary character at the siege, the traitors would be the ones who are still around.

A World Eaters story about Khârn

A Emperor's Children about Lucius

A Death Guard story about Typhus

A Thousand Sons story about Ahriman

A Sons of Horus story about Abaddon, that ends with him leading the SoH retreat

A Night Lords Story about Talos

A Word Bearers story about Lorgar

A Blood Angels story about the Eternity Gate

A White Scars story about whatever they did at the Siege

An Imperial Fists story about Sigismund

Then the novel needs to follow the story of Sangunius, Dorn, and Horus since Abnett started the three way friendship subplot between them.

The Siege needs two books. One anthology, and one novel. The novel needs to be Abnett, as he started the series and is the only author who would feel comfortable with the reigns behind the Horus vs. Emperor showdown.

The Anthology needs to be 10 short stories, 10,000 words each. I'd love for each of them to be about a major Legionary character at the siege, the traitors would be the ones who are still around.

A World Eaters story about Khârn

A Emperor's Children about Lucius

A Death Guard story about Typhus

A Thousand Sons story about Ahriman

A Sons of Horus story about Abaddon, that ends with him leading the SoH retreat

A Night Lords Story about Talos

A Word Bearers story about Lorgar

A Blood Angels story about the Eternity Gate

A White Scars story about whatever they did at the Siege

An Imperial Fists story about Sigismund

Then the novel needs to follow the story of Sangunius, Dorn, and Horus since Abnett started the three way friendship subplot between them.

^This

Only two books? GW could easily make it three books; one for the opening battle (starting from the outer solar system), an anthology for the actual Siege itself and one for the final showdown. M2C was going on the right lines but I feel a series that started with a trilogy should, aesthetically, finish on one. I am aware that this is a sentiment expressed by others, too. :eek

Here's a list of what I think could work:

Foundations Laid

Due to the fact that this is the aftermath of the conflict.

The Seeds of Destruction

This hints that somewhere in the universe, some time from now, an epic ending is foretold.

There is Only War

As part of the epic synopsis in the beginning of every 40k story.

Thrones

A thought on the recessions and recovery of the masters, including the former, where emotions will brew.

The Last Unforgiven

The final fight and escape of the Imperium's heretics.

Final Flight

A tale of the Imperium chasing the Chaos children back into the Warp.

Execution & Excommunication

Same as above, except more dramatic.

Sons No More

This is what of I thought of the primarchs' end.

Breath of the Last

The heresy goes to a close, as the final fight and the foundations of today's Imperium is established.

Then how about And They Shall?

EDIT: or actually, each of the next 15 books should have a title from a line from the following:

They shall be my finest warriors,

these men who give of themselves to me.

Like clay I shall mould them,

and in the furnace of war forge them.

They will be of iron will and steely muscle.

In great armour shall I clad them

and with the mightiest guns will they be armed.

They will be untouched by plague or disease,

no sickness will blight them.

They will have tactics, strategies and machines

so that no foe can best them in battle.

They are my bulwark against the Terror.

They are the Defenders of Humanity.

They are my Space Marines

and they shall know no fear.

It needs to be something that describes the state of the Empire at the end of the heresy plus symbolic so...

Darkness Falls

or taking it a step farther Terra Nova Invenio Noctem "I find night in the new land"

or Sic semper tyrannis "Thus always to tyrants"

Archived