Lots of Questions.

Hi guys, got a couple of questions, as I'm coming back to the hobby..

Sorry to ask so much, but its only becuase you've been so helpful in the past..:)

1. What paints do you use? I'm sure most will probably say Vallejo, but, I couldn't find a site to check out the colours. My Marines are usually Hawk Turquoise with Blood Red, are there equivalents, when I looked up Vallejo, they all seems to be darker colours, for Modern Day Military Uniforms? Could I use this out the pot?

2. What can I use to remove paint, and or glue? I'd prefer more things that I might have arround the house, but, any help is appreciated here.

Those are all I cna think of currently, I appreciate all help you guys can give, thanks again B)

X

What can you use to remove glue?

Depends on the TYPE of glue used.

There are a number of superglue debonding agents, some are even safe to use on plastics (acetone works wonders, but dissolves styrene plastics).

If it was a plastic cement, plastic model glue, polystyrene cement, liquid poly or "gunge-in-a-tube/bottle" (aka GW plastic glue) then no chemical method CAN separate the pieces once joined. Anything capable of dissolving it will, by its nature, also dissolve the plastic of the kit.

A sharp knife, steady hand and patience are the key here.

Hi guys, got a couple of questions, as I'm coming back to the hobby..

Sorry to ask so much, but its only becuase you've been so helpful in the past..:Elite:

1. What paints do you use? I'm sure most will probably say Vallejo, but, I couldn't find a site to check out the colours. My Marines are usually Hawk Turquoise with Blood Red, are there equivalents, when I looked up Vallejo, they all seems to be darker colours, for Modern Day Military Uniforms? Could I use this out the pot?

The only translation from GW to Vallejo is the Game Colour range. The other ranges (Model Colour and Model Air) are more intended for historical miniatures... though obviously they can be and are used for out toy men.

Vallejo GC

2. What can I use to remove paint, and or glue? I'd prefer more things that I might have arround the house, but, any help is appreciated here.

Those are all I cna think of currently, I appreciate all help you guys can give, thanks again :P

X

I use alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is a bit meh, isopropyl will strip even primer within 24h (maybe 2 soaks for TERRIBLE models).

Breaking superglue, the alcohol usually is enough and in tough situations, freeze the model and give it a bang.

If its plastic cement... tough luck: hobby knife is the only way to go IME.

Hope it helps!

Oh and if dealing with a full metal model or mostly metal model*and do not care to keep the plastic/resin parts* Use Nail polish remover its been the quickest way I have been able to strip metals Acetone also screws with Green stuff to the point where it is dirt easy to pick off the models JUST DO NOT GET IT ON PLASTIC and if you do get it in water quick because it will turn it into goo.

• 1 month later...
Breaking superglue, the alcohol usually is enough and in tough situations, freeze the model and give it a bang.

Resurrecting an older thread because I hear that's the thing to do...

My question relates to the above quote. I left some plastic miniatures in the freezer overnight because of some "interesting" modeling choices I did. This squad is an old project that I've had on hold due to the necessary changes, and I thought I'd get around to it this weekend. So I froze these two minis and pulled them out again.

Having said that, the freezing was successful, though the miniatures weren't in a neat, completely disassembled pile when I retrieved them. The glue was brittle enough that I could twist and pull the offending parts off without strenuous effort, but it did require some effort. It has been explained to me that the process freezes the water in the superglue causing it to expand and stress the bond, and after my experiment I'll buy that. Why not, it worked well enough, right?

But about the parts I didn't separate...

Is the superglue terminally flawed on the parts I didn't separate? Can I just go ahead and switch things out and leave the rest glued as is, or do I need to take every piece apart and re-glue it all? Does anybody have experience with this they can share?

It IS permanently weaker (once catalysed and cured, the superglue cannot rebond or fix itself) and isn't a permanent or particularly strong bond at the best of times.

I'd take it apart and reglue, myself.

If you want it to to stay a particular way, then scrape off any residue and reglue with plastic glue (there isn't enough toluene in polycement to dissolve superglue, so remove it first).

Thanks for the response. I think I'm just going to see how it goes, because the worst that could happen is that I would have to dab some more glue onto a piece that fell off. I have a feeling that if I try to prise too much off I'm going to be pushing my luck as far as breaking things.

Archived