The new paint pots

I feel a bit of a twerp asking this, but is anyone else having difficulty with the new paint pots?

I used to open the black plastic lidded pots and use the paint in the lid. With the foundation paints I did the same, but they had a little plastic catch on the back to stop the lid falling forward.

The new paints are like that but without the little plastic catch to stop the lid falling forward.

Am I doing it wrong?

Nope you're not doing it wrong. :)

My advice is to start using a palette like many of us now do.

It annoyed me to no end at first but in the end I had greater control, so I say go for it.

Do yourself a favor and go with a wet palette. I use one of those take out food containers to store the minis I'm working on (washed out of course) and I use the lid of the container for my wet palette - I just soak a folded up paper towel and lay it on the lid, then I cut a small square of baking paper (aka parchment paper - which is ridiculously cheap to get at any supermarket) and lay it on the paper towel. I got the idea from an old thread here on B&C.

Cheap and easy and it keeps the paint wet all day even in the winter when I'm running the heater most of the day and the air in my apartment is dry as the desert.

Also great for blending layers or glazes as you can paint you base color, wait for it to dry on the mini, then mix your highlight or shade color, apply it to the mini, wait for it to dry, apply another layer, repeat - all without the paint drying on the palette.

This is why I use Vallejo's dropper bottles and a tile for my palette.

They're also cheaper than GWs paints where I am (so more for less).

Agreed...I went to pick up some scab red and was basically horrified by the new smaller bottle, that isn't filled to the top of the pot and the higher price. I decided then it was time to try out some Vallejos. They have a slightly different hue but not enough to make such a difference.

I use a palette anyway so the dropper doesn't bother me and it's nicer for measuring out mix ratios. One thing to be aware of is the don't behave the same way as citadels paint so will take a bit of getting used to. I have only tried a few since I have lots of cidadels currently still to work through.

Archived