White Scars in the HH

Below is what I've been able to discover what the Sons of Khan got up to during the HH. But as the conflict was Seven years long, what else did they get up to?

The White Scars were one of Horus's greatest errors. He failed to account for the possibility that they would remain loyal to the Big E, as he assumed that they would follow him. At the outbreak of the heresy it's known that the majority of the Legion were close to Prosperro and the SW's. Khan wanted to aid Russ, who was his closest brother, when he was attacked by the AL. However Dorn pleaded to him to get back to Terra as soon as they could.

At the seige of the emperors palace, khan led his legion on a break out, surfing on the back of a razorback, to the Lion Space Port, captured it and held it to halve the number of traitors that could land. This explain why there were only 5 second foundings from the legion, as the must have taken one hell of a pounding holding that Space Port.

Now the only other mention that I've seen or that people have shown me, was a brief mention of them in the Alpha Legion IA article, where they lost an engagement to the AL. However the context of that suggests to me that it was a small engagement with maybe a couple of companies of Scars at best, So what else did they get up to? They can't have spent 7 years travelling to Terra, then twiddling their thumbs waiting for the traitors to show up. Imperial Fists maybe, but never the White Scars!

The lack of info doesn't mean they didn't do anything, just nothing's been set in stone yet. I think what you've mentioned is more or less all there is so far, but I imagine there'll be more details at some point in the Heresy books.

They fought agaisnt the SoH at one point as well. See "Little Horus" short story in Age of Darkness.

Yeah, the way I remember that is that they were a splinter/small group helping the IH's

At the outbreak of the heresy it's known that the majority of the Legion were close to Prosperro and the SW's. Khan wanted to aid Russ, who was his closest brother, when he was attacked by the AL. However Dorn pleaded to him to get back to Terra as soon as they could.

This has always bugged me. Did Prospero and Istvaan happen at the same time? I mean, would the Emperor bother sending the Wolves for Magnus if he thought Horus was suspect? As you've accounted it (and I don't doubt your research), it Dorn would have been warned about Istvaan and 4 Legions falling before Prospero (taking into account the typical astropath communication timeframe), and that Prospero only seemed to last hours at best. Is it just me that finds this difficult?

At the outbreak of the heresy it's known that the majority of the Legion were close to Prosperro and the SW's. Khan wanted to aid Russ, who was his closest brother, when he was attacked by the AL. However Dorn pleaded to him to get back to Terra as soon as they could.

This has always bugged me. Did Prospero and Istvaan happen at the same time? I mean, would the Emperor bother sending the Wolves for Magnus if he thought Horus was suspect? As you've accounted it (and I don't doubt your research), it Dorn would have been warned about Istvaan and 4 Legions falling before Prospero (taking into account the typical astropath communication timeframe), and that Prospero only seemed to last hours at best. Is it just me that finds this difficult?

Prospero occurred many months prior to Istvaan.

Prospero happened before Istvaan, but news travel slowly so we rarely know with accuracy what kind of event happened at what time.

WS are the ones that I miss the most at this moment of the Heresy series. I hope someone give them their book eventually. According to ADB (he answerd one of my questions), Dan Abnett is interested in them, but that doesn't mean anything at this point.

The only new piece of information is in the Little Horus story in ToH. A small group of WS fought against the SoH in their way to Terra and they tend to hunt the ennemy leader. That story was written by Dan Abnett so I'm carefuly optimistic.

Jubal Khan is mentioned in Savage Weapons as one of the hardest Astartes in the Imperium during the Great Crusade, mentioned in the same line as Sevatar, Abaddon and Sigismund to name a few.. Take from that what you wish.

It would be nice if Dan Abnett or even if it is anybody else brought some nice depth to the White Scars. Jubal will be fantastic I'm sure, but I hope the greatness will come from a good back story. Precisely 'why' he is claimed to stand out from the rest, not just, 'this guy is the best in our legion' as a line somewhere when two guys fight. It sometimes annoys me when they do that. They give a lot of depth to certain characters, while others are just mentioned in passing. With so many books, it could be added in somewhere. (I don't mean revealing everything about say the primarchs and losing some of the 'lore'... but just making use of the novels to flesh out other characters, not just the protagonist.)

I see Jaghatai Khan in the Heresy as being super aggressive. There is no way that the Genghis Khan of the Heresy would sit behind walls for several years waiting. Apart from the named engagements, I see Jaghatai being one of those unnamed heroes of the Horus Heresy, winning battles all over the width of the Imperium as fast as he can, dividing his Legion up many times in an effort to do so. Kind of like the Ultramarines post-Heresy, Jaghatai, in keeping with his modus operandi, was everywhere and nowhere at once, striking hard and fast in surprise ambushes before retreating with his fleet and Legion back to Terra once he caught whiff that the Traitors were drawing near.

• 4 weeks later...
I see Jaghatai Khan in the Heresy as being super aggressive. There is no way that the Genghis Khan of the Heresy would sit behind walls for several years waiting. Apart from the named engagements, I see Jaghatai being one of those unnamed heroes of the Horus Heresy, winning battles all over the width of the Imperium as fast as he can, dividing his Legion up many times in an effort to do so. Kind of like the Ultramarines post-Heresy, Jaghatai, in keeping with his modus operandi, was everywhere and nowhere at once, striking hard and fast in surprise ambushes before retreating with his fleet and Legion back to Terra once he caught whiff that the Traitors were drawing near.

Kind of my overall point, would love to know what. Would love to see anything about the scars in the HH series

At the seige of the emperors palace, khan led his legion on a break out, surfing on the back of a razorback,

I thought Razorbacks were found until after the heresy? M36?

The way i see it is that they didnt have the STC templates until M36, but there still wouldve been a few floating around the legions from before the blue prints were lost

His origin states that, in retaliation to his "father's" assassination, he murdered every man, woman and child of the killer's tribe. You can imagine how he'd deal with traitor marines...

My view of him is of a deeply aggressive, thick-minded man. Not in the stupid way, but in the absolute granite nature of his beliefs, while also being someone not entirely prone to lengthy discussions. He'd voice his opinion, then scream his opinion if not everyone was convinced, then leave if his will wasn't done.

In battle, I see lots of skull-collecting and enemies made an example. In ruthlessness, he'd owe nothing to Leman Russ.

In ruthlessness, he'd owe nothing to Leman Russ.

Got to agree with you there. The three Primarchs who really grew up in tribal societies -- Ferrus, Russ, and the Khan -- all seemed to me that they'd get along. None of them had any tolerance for weakness or stupidity, and although we don't know as much about the Khan than we do as Ferrus (who, let's face it, isn't exactly one of the guys who gets all the press), I think that the three of them would all be fairly similar in most ways, especially in their ruthless streaks. After all, tribal societies do tend to push the whole survival of the fittest thing.

We also know that it was a WS Liberian who was given the respect to speak for Liberians as a whole during the Council of Nikaeal.

You know a guy really sticks to his culture and traditions when he's genetically enhanced in every aspect, is fanatically loyal to an empire, and still has trouble with its main language. =)

That scene was great, the Scars basically showed the Space Wolves how one can have his own view and approach to psychic powers and still be tolerant of those with different methods, as long as they share an end.

We also know that it was a WS Liberian who was given the respect to speak for Liberians as a whole during the Council of Nikaeal.

You know a guy really sticks to his culture and traditions when he's genetically enhanced in every aspect, is fanatically loyal to an empire, and still has trouble with its main language. =)

That scene was great, the Scars basically showed the Space Wolves how one can have his own view and approach to psychic powers and still be tolerant of those with different methods, as long as they share an end.

yea, the ignorance of the Wolves shown in "A Thousand Sons" was pretty ridiculous. i can only hope future HH stories do a better job of showing the Wolves than the craptastic McAbnett version.

WLK

As the Scars are noted for their lightning fast hit and run attacks, I would imagine that they did exactly that. Picking apart small fragments of Horus' forces in one system only to appear moments later in another system to attack a splinter fleet. I would imagine that Khan's tactics allowed the Scars to create more damage and hassle to traitors than what they could "on paper".

Is there a picture of the Palace of Terra blueprints or some sort of map showing where the spaceports were? Then we'd be able to have an idea of the distance Jaghatai fought through during a siege. As I see it, he pretty much went back an forth while harrassing a force many, many times his own, retaking and maintaining the Lion's Gate spaceport and delaying Horus' forces as best as one against 6 (not counting Emperor's Children here) can hope to accomplish.

I'd say he was invaluable, and if the White Scars get a HH novel focusing on that part, it should make for a frantic story.

I've not come across any, but there was an article in an old WD (no idea of number) which showed the WS & the Khan breaking out from the gates of the palaces gates. And yeah there were absolutely vital in defeating the traitors. They broke out, shattered the traitors defences of the Space port, & then held it against counter attack by a vastly numerically superior forces in a static defence, which proves that they're just as good as anyone else doing that. This halved the numbers of traitors & more importantly the heavy forces they needed to crack the palace, and delayed when horus could overthrow the emperor long enough to let the lion & russ to get back to terra, and forced him into the whole dropping his shields gambit (or however you view that bit happening)

Archived