The Start of Things

Cpt_Reaper

The Start of Things

The world around me was so very wrong, even now as I look back my memories feel like there were crafted by someone who knew not what a planet should resemble.

It was the time of day where the local star should have been burning brightly in the centre of the blue sky, but instead an unearthly purple haze had brought on a perma-night. Our dark kin had fallen upon the gentle world with blood on their tongues and murder in their hearts. The Mon-Keigh inhabitants were slaughtered or worse, not a fighter among the population of farmers and artisans. It was one of the few times I felt pity for the species, a particularly painful memory of a young female as she was cut down by one of Rakarth's monstrosities.

I was to lead three squads of Howling Banshees, their expertise in close combat would play well to my own preference for it. We would travel by Vampire Raider, allowing us to move swiftly from each combat to the next.

The goal: to counter the minions of the dark kin wherever they appeared. I had hoped that this would be a simple, if somewhat bloody, task as it always was when dealing with our wayward kin. I was proven to be wrong, and to this day I bear the scars of my mistake.

It was my first mission as a Sergeant in the 3rd Company, leading the 8th Assault Squad into battle. We were to be the forward recon unit, using our jump-packs to move around while looking for Dark Eldar camps for the main Company to cleanse. I remember it vividly, the horrors committed against the men and women of the planet, many would die upon our own blades so as to spare them further pain.

Our Scout units had found out that it was the Kabal of the Bloodstained Sword, the Dark Eldar raiders that were frequently seen working with the Angels of Light. Even mentioning the name of our fallen Brethren makes my hearts ache with sorrow. I personally swore an oath to end the life of my former Sergeant, Grendal, from when I was in the 8th Company so many decades ago.

The first time I set foot upon the planet, covered in an un-natural night that never ceased, I felt as though the darkness was encroaching on my very soul. Even the flames from our jump-packs seemed dimmed from their usual star-burst of light.

I was at the head of our V-formation, ordering the squad to run so as to preserve our stealth, only jumping to cover larger distances to catch up with the Scout units. We found several Dark Eldar camps, putting them to the sword and ordering the Thunderhawk attached to the formation to retrieve those civilians who were able to be saved.

Everything was going to plan, seven camps liberated with a sixty-seven percent survival of civilians and not a casualty in my squad. Of course, I have learned that every plan never survives contact with the enemy. Just who the enemy was would surprise me even now.

So it was that Autarch Aurian and Sergeant Valinor swept across the planet of Fincity Primus, each force killing any Dark Eldar they found. Valinor personally slew one of the Archon's lieutenants, smashing the xeno's power sabre with his own sword, while Aurian was the first to make contact with members of the Angels of Light traitor Astartes on the world. While not expecting to see Astartes, traitor or otherwise, Aurian and his Banshee companions managed to kill or fend off the renegades. Valinor and his Squad would soon run into a heavily defended Dark Eldar camp, Valinor himself seeing his target. Pure hatred compelled Valinor to rush out of cover, only to be blocked by a group of the otherworldly Mandrakes. With the main Angels of Shadow force engaged with the main Kabalite force, Valinor was on his own. That is, until Aurian and his Banshees burst from inside the tent where the Dark Eldar Liutennant was torturing civilians.

Grendal smiled at his former protege, his once noble features twisted and scarred. Valinor was repulsed at that his former teacher had become. The same sword as was the one that had cut down so many of Valinor's Brothers on Invalice many decades ago now seemed to pulse as though it had a heart-beat.

'What's the matter? Are you not pleased to see your Sergeant? Why do you look at me as if I were not your Brother?' hissed Grendal. He put extra emphasis on the word Brother, the malice in his voice made clear.

'You lost the right to call me Brother long ago!' spat Valinor in reply. 'I have come to take back the life that the Chapter gave you! You have broken every oath you made upon your induction into the brotherhood, you became that which we swore to destroy! Even now, you deal with Xenos and join them in the slaughter of civilians!' Valinor fought to keep his anger in check, reciting prayers of control under his breath.

Grendal raised the fell blade and pointed it at Valinor's primary heart, his breaths begins to quicken as his armour's systems flooded his body with combat drugs. 'You are mistaken, brother. Today it is you that will forfeit your life, and I will personally make sure your gene-seed is used to create another Angel of Light!'

Valinor drew his own blade, a ornate power sword that was surrounded by a blue haze of the energy field. However, before either warrior could charge, a series of events occurred that neither could have forseen. First, Grendal's Raptor pack fell from the night sky, chainswords roaring in the dark. They were then met by the members of Valinor's Assault Squad, their own weapons growling a challenge to their sinister counterparts. Thirdly, the Dark Eldar Lieutenant that Grendal was tasked with protecting was thrown from the tent in a bloody mess as Autarch Aurian marched out, his Howling Banshees emerging from the tents around the camp.

'What is this, Brother? You accuse me of dealing with Xenos and here you are fighting side-by-side with them? I never figured you for a hypocrite.' Grendal began to laugh, a shallow rasping noise that sounded less than human, even by Astartes standards,

'Silence you traitor! I am not your brother anymore, and I have no idea what these Eldar are doing here.'

We seek your target, Mon-Keigh. We mean no threat to you or your warriors.

Valinor looked over at the Autarch and his bone-clad Banshees, his eyes scanning for which Eldar had spoken. They all wore helmets, their faces hidden behind armour.

I am speaking to you telepathically. I too am hunting your former kin, as you hunt mine. The Kabal of the Bloodstained Sword and their allies, the Angels of Light, are part of a premonition that sees great harm befall my people. It is fortunate that you are here at this time.

'Squad, do not target the Eldar Banshees or the Autarch. They are allies in this fight,' Valinor voxed to his men.

'Sir, why do we not attack them all? They are all heretics to me, xenos or traitor.' replied an Astartes , although who it was Valinor was unsure due to his less-advanced Mk III helm.

'We are outnumbered by the Raptors, their Dark Eldar allies and the Eldar. If you wish to continue fighting for the Emperor, I strongly suggest you follow my order.'

Thank-you Mon-Keigh. Quick, let us fall upon our foes before they rally and our surprise is lost.

Knowing full well that his actions would be brought before the Chapter later, Valinor raised his sword and ignited his jump-pack. In the split second before he slammed into Grendal, he saw the Banshees leap forward and begin fighting the Dark Eldar around the camp while his men leapt into combat with the Raptors.

The force of the collision knocked Grendal off his feet, and both warriors were sent tumbling head over heels. True to their training, both men leapt up once more, instantly slamming their blades together. Valinor's blade sang a chorus of vengeance as it met the steel of it's opponent, Grendal's blade screamed in fury as the beast inside hungered for blood.

'I see you have gotten better, my young Brother,' snirked Grendal as he brought his blade around in a deadly arc.

'I see you have gotten rusty, filthy creature,' spat Valinor as he easily parried the blow. Grendal howled and went for a straight lunge, but Valinor saw the attack coming and smashed the vile blade away with his own before following up with a punch to the face. His gauntleted hand should have make a mess of Grendal's skull, but the Raptor Champion merely growled as his nose was shattered.

'It will take more than that young one. I have been gifted by the True Gods, and your feeble attacks will cause me no harm!' roared Grendal. Valinor replied with his blade, swinging it in a wide arc, using the length of the blade to his advantage. Grendal jumped back from the attack and was now too far for Valinor to reach with his blade. He was, however, now in perfect range for the Sergeant to bring his pistol up and fire a salvo of bolts. The high calibre rounds slammed into the twisted off-white metal of the Raptor Champion's chest. Grendal stumped back, black liquid oozing from the crators in his chest. Enraged, he activated his jump-pack and flew at Valinor, blade held for decapitation. Valinor, however, activated his own pack and leapt high into the sky.

Mon-Keigh, your fell brethren cannot be brought down by you alone. You will require my help if you wish to best him.

'And how do you expect to help me, Witch? We both take the sky while you stand down there on the ground,' Valinor growled, unsure if the Autarch heard him. As if to answer, the lithe alien shot past Valinor as he reached the zenith of his climb. Elegant wings of Wraithbone extended from a pack on Aurian's back, the feathers shimmering with light even in the un-natural night.

'What's wrong Valinor? Can't beat me alone so you let the Xeno help you? Not very Astartes of you, is it?' roared Grendal as he leapt up into the sky, eyes filled with rage and the hunger for blood.

Valinor began to fall, feet first toward the ground and his opponent. Raising his sword for the final strike, Valinor prayed that his plan would work. Grendal was quickly getting closer, and he had but one chance. He could see Grendal was focused on his blade, for what else could he use to attack?

That single-minded fury was to be the Raptor's literal downfall. As the pair was but an instant away from contact, it was clear Grendal would strike first. He did not get that chance as Valinor slammed his boot into the psychotic warrior's face. Black blood spurted from the wound as Grendal was knocked off course and flew back into the ground, throwing dirt high into the air. Valinor landed heavily next to the crater, with Aurian landing quietly by his side.

'How was it that you were meant to help me?' queried Valinor as the Autarch knelt down to examine the semi-buried Astartes.

'Mon-Keigh, my help has yet to be rendered. He yet lives, and will awake any time now. My Farseer had foretold that I would stand over a beast in a pit, and that the beast would shower me in the blood of a betrayed kin. Until now I had thought that it meant one of my warriors, who even now...'

'Silence Xeno!' spat Valinor. 'You can fill me on on your prophesy later. Right now I need to know how to kill him.'

'You must forfeit your life in order to end his,' droned the Autarch, clearly insulted. 'It is written in fate.'

'BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!' screamed Grendal, leaping from the crater. With one swing of his glowing sword he carved a great gouge into the Autarch's helm, sending him flying backwards. With the second swing he impaled Valinor through the gut, twisting the blade sideways and out his side to cut his right arm off at the elbow. 'SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!' he screamed, pacing towards the prone Autarch. With a sickening crunch Grendal brought his boot down upon Aurian's arm, smashing the bone as well as one of his hawk-wings. The blood of Valinor dripped down onto the Eldar's ruined face-plate, leaking in through the wound in the Wraithbone. The unhinged Astartes lifted the Autarch up by the collar of his armour, bringing them face to face.

'Let the blood flow,' Grendal hissed, licking his own blood from his face. Aurian could feel the beast's hot breath on his face as the ruined helm was torn from his head. The sting from Valinor's blood began to make his face burn...Valinor's blood on his face!

Aurian burst into laughter, a strong and noble laugh filled with pride in his victory. Grendal growled, his last vestiges of sanity melting away as his prey laughed in his face. Preparing to cave in the xeno's skull with a headbutt, Grendal's eyes suddenly flashed with shock. The glowing tip of a sword pierced through his throat, slashing across Aurian's right brow. The blade then pulled back and swung down into Grendal's spine. Aurian saw the opportunity and attached a fusion charge to Grendal's chest inside a bolter shell crater before ducking out of the warrior's grip and running for the line of Banshees that stood over a pile of dead Dark Eldar, though their own ranks had thinned drastically. Turning to see what had attacked, Aurian saw that Valinor stood over the defeated Raptor, his armour torn and his arm stump smoking. He pulled a melta-bomb from his belt and punched it into Grendal's ruined chest.

'By the sword in my hand!' roared Valinor through blood flecked lips.

'For the Lion! For the Dragon! For the Emperor!' replied the four remaining Assault Marines. Valinor kicked the skull from Grendal's neck before activating his jump pack and sending the lifeless corpse into the sky.

The explosion of both bombs was seen for hundreds of kilometres away, Grendal's body being instantly vaporised by forces that could wreck a Land Raider.

Aurian's Vampire hovered across the camp opposite to the bulky Thunderhawk Gunship that had carried the 3rd Company's Command Squad and it's Dark Master. The Apothecary had deemed that Valinor would live, with extensive bionics and many months in the Apothecarion.

Before either force departed, Valinor asked that he speak to the Autarch. As he lay on a bunk within the Thunderhawk, Aurian stood over the weak warrior.

'Eldar...I offer you...my thanks,' whispered Valinor.

'It is I who should thank you, warrior. You saved my life when yours should have already been extinguished. I am in your debt.'

'Forget about it...Besides, I ruined your face,' breathed Valinor, losing conscientiousness.

'I cannot forget my debt to you. I know that fighting alongside me will bring great retribution against you. If you require it, I may assist you in escaping it.'

'Speak...Dark Master...He will explain...' And with those last fractured words valinor went into the stasis that Astartes are known for.

'He is a good Sergeant, Valinor. I see him going far in the Chapter,' Dark Master Wyatt said.

'I promised him that he would be safe from retribution. Please see to it that my oath is not broken,' requested the Autarch.

'Do not worry my friend. The Angels of Shadow hold no ill will against you of the Craftworlds. You know the pain of betrayal, as do we. Valinor will come to no harm, but I cannot say the same for you should we meet again. Today we leave as allies, tomorrow we may meet as foe.' At this warning Aurian simply nodded.

'If that is what fate determines, then I shall personally make sure I meet you on the field of battle.' Wyatt chuckled, mumbled something and turned to enter the Thunderhawk, flanked by his Command Squad. Aurian watched as the craft raised into the morning sky, wondering is he should ever meet Valinor or Wyatt again. Later he would consult his Farseer, who informed him that one warrior of the Mon-Keigh would fall to his kin while the other would indeed meet the Autarch once more as allies against the Despoiler.

Aurian made sure he kept the scar on his otherwise perfect face, a symbol of the brotherhood two warriors shared in a brief encounter against their dark kin.

Nowhere near Black-Library standards. I hope you enjoyed it.

Archived