Sanguinius as Warmaster

Astus

Something I've thought about in the past, and had lingering in the back of my mind for a bit is what would have to happen for Sanguinius to be Warmaster, and what would happen afterwards.

Yes, I do know about Aurelius' Dornian Heresy, but I just want to know other peoples' thoughts on this, I'll let you guys know if I actually write up some background about this, but until then, what do you think?

The Promethean

Despite Horus openly stating that Sangunius should have been Warmaster, Chaos would undoubtedly have got their claws into him and played on his pride, slowly persuading him that this was a snub by the Emperor etc. In the end, I think it might have gone broadly the same way, although there would have been more problems organising the heresy without the rank of Warmaster enabling Horus to redeploy legions in the way that suited him best.

Sanguinius would not fall as Horus.

He would. It's not like Horus just gave away to temptation. He was nearly killed, altered by chaos magicks and made suggestive to seduction.

He wouldn't. Because he was Sanguinius, the angel. He didn't have secret dark desires like Horus, walls of his faith couldn't be breached.

He wouldn't. Because he was Sanguinius, the angel. He didn't have secret dark desires like Horus, walls of his faith couldn't be breached.

Even angels can fall.

Chaos would have got him eventually.

Sanguinius didn't have dark desires ? Where the hell did red thirst and obsession with blood come from then ? Everybody knows Sanguinius had a dual character. One side was noble and exemplary the other was bloodthirsty and violent.

Even angels can fall.

Chaos would have got him eventually.

Some angels can't fall.

Sanguinius didn't have dark desires ? Where the hell did red thirst and obsession with blood come from then ? Everybody knows Sanguinius had a dual character. One side was noble and exemplary the other was bloodthirsty and violent.

There is an enormous difference between mindless violelnce and righteous fury.

No one can make me believe that Sanguinus or any other loyal primarch could fall.

There is an enormous difference between mindless violelnce and righteous fury.

Tell that to Death Company.

No one can make me believe that Sanguinus or any other loyal primarch could fall.

No point in discussing with you then.

Erm...the fact is that Sanguinius didn't fall. He was tempted by Chaos and rejected it utterly, proving his loyalty right up to the moment of his death (which he foresaw and still met head on). So no, I don't beleive he would have fallen prey to Chaos in the way that Horus did. I still think Horus would have fallen though.

Erm...the fact is that Sanguinius didn't fall. He was tempted by Chaos and rejected it utterly, proving his loyalty right up to the moment of his death (which he foresaw and still met head on). So no, I don't beleive he would have fallen prey to Chaos in the way that Horus did. I still think Horus would have fallen though.

So what ? Sanguinius just rejected a daemons offer. Horus' defection took tons of manipulation, his own near death and resurrection through sorcerous means. Who can say Sanguinius would have rejected if Chaos came on him as strongly as they did with Horus.

So what ? Sanguinius just rejected his closest brother's offer, knowing full well that to do so would cost him his life.

Fixed that for you.

Every loyal primarch could have lay his life for their father unless they had some mental intrusion. The point is Horus had that intrusion. Besides Sanguinius probably knew that Horus wasn't himself and the price of being empowered by ruinious gods.

He hardly had the four gods luring him though did he.

<inappropriate comment removed, please watch your tone and remember to post in accordance with the board rules>

Chaos already gave him wings.

I'd say he'd fall pretty easily if he had the same full on treatment that Horus got.

What full on treatment? Having Erebus whispering in your ear for a few years? Honestly, you lot come across like Horus had Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh and Tzeentch constantly sitting on his shoulders!

The 100 years in the making plan that culminated in Horus being wounded by an Alien blade stolen from a lost civilisation, wielded by a man Horus once counted as a friend, being placed in the temple on Davin where the warrior lodges that had been in use for centuries originated..

So on, so forth. It was a pretty good plan.

No, he had something much more compelling. He had his own doubts, constantly eating away at him, subtly fed by Erebus. Why get others to persuade someone to do something when you can make him reach the same conclusion himself?

Erebus made sure to plant the seeds of doubt, which Horus, and Horus only, turned into bitterness and feelings of abandonment. Everyone has a flaw, if they don't they're a Mary Sue. Sanguinius managed to withstand his flaws, with what little attention the Chaos Gods paid to him. If he was focussed on more heavily, cracks would begin to show.

Granted, it was a cunning plan. But in terms of direct interaction between Ruinous Powers and Horus? Not a lot! It was almost all Erebus until long after the point where Horus had fallen. There really is no evidence to suggest that Sanguinius, or indeed any of the other loyal Primarchs, would have fallen to this. Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. I'd hardly call it inevitable though.

Horus was the noblest hero of the great crusade, if he fell into darkness, im pretty sure any of the other primarchs would have fallen in his place.

Many would say that Sanguinius was the noblest.

Including Horus.

"But the forces of Chaos were not quite so easily beaten. They whispered to the Primarchs from the warp, disturbing their dreams with promises of power, appealing to their pride, their martial prowess, and their courage. No single Primarch was wholly resistant to these unspoken temptations. The character of each was sorely tested, and fully half of them failed that test."

(2nd Edition Codex Chaos, p. 8)

Horus was the best and brightest of them all, that is why he became warmaser. He essentially did have all four of the gods on his shoulders because if he fell, they would have their champions to fight for them the next millenia essentially. They're right really, Sanguinus had a daemon offer him something, Horus had the four whispering to him through Erebus and the others.

Archived