Base-coating in White

thade

I assume full responsibility. I am terrible at base coating with white spray paint. Now that I've said that, feel free to blame the paint.

Krylon black spray paint goes on in an almost unfairly even and thorough way; Krylon white spray seems to fly out of the nozzle in gobs no matter how new the can or how many times I've inverted it to clear the crap out of the nozzle. I still base models in black, even those I intend to eventually paint up to white.

I've been considering trying out some gray spray paints (likely from the Krylon line) but I thought it'd be a sound idea to post here first and find out if there's something better.

Or maybe I'm just too impatient (due to black spray paint awesomeness) and I should just accept that the first several white base coats will be extremely spotty and just keep lightly hitting it again and again and again...

Help. :P

I use Krylon White, Grey, and Black primers, and they all spray with the same quality.

I've never had a single problem with any of them. You can always test your spraying before you hit the model; before any spray touches my models I always spray first on a box or something to test it.

I use Krylon White, Grey, and Black primers, and they all spray with the same quality.

Perhaps THAT would do the trick? I'm using white *spray paint* from Krylon; not the primer.

It was my understanding that the primers go on very thick, and that turned me off to them. Perhaps it's not so bad, if you use them exclusively?

They go on veeery thin, actually. Quality over quantity, and all that.

The regular sprays weren't bad either. Basically exactly the same, though the primer is a bit more durable.

Krylon tends to be the cheap brand, and the times I've used it I haven't been happy.

Try Duplicolor sandable spray primer, available in auto parts stores. It comes in black, white, dark grey, and brick red. $5 a can and exclusively what I use.

• 2 weeks later...
I use the Flat White Krylon to undercoat and I've yet to have an issue. Are you seeing the problem over multiple cans or is it just the one? Also whats the temp and how far are you holding the can from the mini? I've noticed, here in vegas, I have a very limited range to spray from otherwise the heat causes it to clump if I'm too far away or I over spray if too close.

I have "successfully" base-coated with Kylon White Primer; came it a little rough but some careful exacto knife work and a heavy-handed wash with GW's skull white seems to have made them acceptable.

I've also used Krylon Flat White and another brand of similar price bracket (Wal-mart doesn't really sell anything more expensive around here) and achieved similar results. The best so far has been the primer, which I applied in which, side-to-side spurts...light coats every ten minutes for the better part of an hour. There was minimized (but still present) clumping.

I live in MA, and New England runs the gamut of weather. A summer day here can be anywhere from very high 90s to very low 60s, often with a good dose of humidity.

I use almost exclusively Krylon White, Grey and Black primers as well, and have no problems with them at all. You just need to make sure you're spraying in "bursts", and not simply dousing the models. It'll take a few passes (Black will go on more readily than the other two) but you end up with really thin, clean smooth coats that are a breeze to paint over.

The key is to maintain optimal spraying/priming conditions (moisture/humidity levels, temperature, wind, distance from spray can to models) and to make sure you're using primer and not paint. I have on occasion encountered bad batches of Krylon primer (cans that won't spray or mix properly) but I can typically exchange them at Canadian Tire without a problem.

DV8

I've used Krylon Gray Primer & Krylon White Primer & I'm very happy with the results. As was previously mentioned, I'd recommend testing the spray on a box or piece of scrap wood/sprue to get a feel for how it applies & the optimal distance to use.

While I really like the Krylon Primer, I've found that the Testors Model Master White Spray Primer is a lot more forgiving of spraying conditions, distance, etc. The only problem is a 3oz Can will cost you twice as much as a 12oz can of Krylon.

So, I picked up 2 cans of Krylon White Primer & 2 cans of Krylon Gray Primer. I used the white Primer to prime almost a full 2000pts & it came out really well on each model. (after spraying on some cardboard to test 1st) Plus, I don't think I even used 1/4 of the can!

Like DV8 said, do short bursts a few thing coats at a time & you'll end up with a really nice painting surface.

Testors Model masters also has a brush on white primer that goes on nice and thin like a slightly thicker wash covers nice and has worked for me on several vehicles I have done. Might wanna try that since it sounds like your having issues with spraying.

I was put off of Testor's by a few friends of mine who explained that chems were needed to thin them and "just water would not do". I've never tried it myself, but they've been painting models for many years.

I'd like to thank you all for continuing to post in here; this information has been invaluable for me. Thanks. :P

Testor's has an acrylic range as part of their Model Master that cleans up really nice with "just water" & "just water" works perfectly to thin them out too - those paints are actually all I use with the exception of the GW washes.

The primer is nice, but like I said earlier, it's too expensive for a little 3oz can when you can get a 12oz Krylon for 1/2 the cost that will do the job just as well.

I've always used white primer for the last 14 years, and I've been happy with it. A lot easier for brighter colors, and darker ones still work fine. I find it tends to "lighten" the whole model, and allows for things like my Order of the Sacred Rose with white armor very nicely. Prime the model, put on one or two layers of white, and done. Metals I paint with black first, then drybrush or put on a layer of the metallic paint over the black. It's the hidden secret for things like Imperial Fists, White Scars, and Order of the Sacred Rose.

I've also found multiple thin coats of primer work better than one thick coat, which tends to pool in the recesses of the model. Then again, I go for tabletop quality not Slayer Sword quality... so your mileage may vary.

As said I have used the krylon primer with no problem, duplicolor also works well. If you have it in the area I like armory primer as well, its a model primer but much cheaper than GW.

• 5 weeks later...
One of the members of my gaming group is a house painter by trade. He also has some nicely painted minis. He has recommended PPG (Pittsburgh Paints) Pit Bull Interior / Exterior Enamel. If I remember correctly, it's around $4 per can at the paint store.

Archived