Scaled skin

Khine

I am looking to paint scales on the skin of some of my SMs, in shades of grey or green or black->red. Haven't really decided which would work best yet.

What would be the most effective way of getting a texture to the surface that is scale like? Should they be fairly large scales, small scales or a mix of both?

I'd probably use a toothpick and dab some small spots with diluted paint around the neck, back and sides of the head. If you combine that with a bit of a gradient in the color underneath it should look good enough I think. I'm not sure whether the scales or the skin of your marines are supposed to be red. But as an example I'd paint the entire head in a dark grey, light up the area in the face, dab on the scales on the neck, back of the head and possibly on the sides of the face in the mouth and/or eye area depending on what you are going for, and highlight the spots on top of the head and other raised areas with a lighter shade of red.

In order for it to work on a 28mm miniature i think it would have to be pretty subtle, i.e. not too big. You could try to get a tear shape with the toothpick to make pointed scales as well.

Archived