"Interrogator" title

brennus

Something that has puzzled me for some time is the use of the title "Interrogator Chaplain." Sure, it sounds cool, but doesn't it tip the hand of the Dark Angels a little bit? I always felt that the "enhanced interrogation" of prisoners was one of the darkest and well kept secrets of the Dark Angels. The fact that our high ranking chaplains are skilled at extracting information may not be damning evidence of anything on its own, but it could potentially raise suspicions and bring unwanted attention.

So, do you think the rank/title of Interrogator Chaplain an internal rank? Or do we really assume that the rest of the Imperium, including other chapters of Astartes and the Inquisition, are so dense that they don't view the title as a little suspicious?

Sure, I'm probably reading into this too deeply, but that's part of the fun of DA fluff.

Nice topic...

I guess it can boil down to how the simple uninducted DAs understand their world. Do they think there is nothing out there and life is good serving the Emperor or they know there are things they don't know? If it is the latter then their senior Chaplains called Interrogators would be one the the things you know you don't know but you wouldn't ask either - because this is the ethos of the DAs... (does this even make sense???)

Or it could be an internal rank :).

*** Inquisitor No-Trust visits The Rock ***

INT - So...you a chaplain?

Interrogator Chaplain Badassai - Yes, lord Inquisitor.

INT - And what do you do around here?

ICB - Tender the soul of the warriors of the Emperor, amongst other important tasks.

INT - I see...I have heard of those "important" tasks...so called interrogations. Is that why you have that "I.C." badge on your chest?

ICB - No lord, it means "Independenant Character"...you know, attach to squad and so on

And ICB lived another day within the wheels of the Imperium :lol:

ICB - Tender the soul of the warriors of the Emperor, amongst other important tasks.

INT - I see...I have heard of those "important" tasks...so called interrogations. Is that why you have that "I.C." badge on your chest?

ICB - No lord, it means "Independenant Character"...you know, attach to squad and so on

And ICB lived another day within the wheels of the Imperium ;)

That is a script that would feel right at home in a Turn Signals comic.

Though in all fluff seriousness, the Interrogator part could be seen as the Interviewer that the Dark Angels have tasked with testing the purity of new recruits. The Interrogator would test the mind, will and faith to see if they would be able to stand up to the rigors and challenges of being a marine and possibly as a member of the Deathwing down the road. It would help build in their stubborness as well as their reticent nature since their decisions would be questioned later and they must have the faith in themselves to see it past the questioning of an Interrogator. Since the Interrogator is of a higher level in the Chaplain Cadre, they would have more experience and knowledge to pull from to use in their questioning to ensure the loyalty to Lion and the Emperor.

In this respect, it can make the title external but I tend to believe it is an internal one.

And ICB lived another day within the wheels of the Imperium :D

I would add the following:

ICB:By the way lord,i have to show you something if you dont mind?

INT:What is it?

ICB:Something very important please follow me.

ICB leads the inquisitor in front of a door.Please step through the contents of this room are for you only.

INT opens the door,its an open airlock,ICB kicks him out and closes the door.

Asmodai:Brother ICB did you see the inquisitor around here?

ICB:He had a...rush of shorts to leave...

Asmodai:Hm...Yes,dont they always do nowdays?

Archived