Painting Halfway Decent Power Weapons

marine77

I recently discovered a method for painting power weapons that really works for me. I have put up a tutorial on how to do so on my blog here: Gone to Ground.

I am curious as to what other methods people use. This particular method has proven to be fairly simple and yields a great tabletop result. It can even be tailored by adding more layers of color for a smoother transition should a painter want to use it for more high quality work. Has anyone tried something similar? What were your results?

thanks for the quick intro marine77. I did mine with about 10 colors:

chaos black

regal blue

50/50 regal enchanted blue

enchanted blue

15/85 skull white/enchanted

30/70 skull white/enchanted

50/50 skull white/enchanted

75/25 skull white/enchanted

90/10 skull white/enchanted

skull white

gallery_49724_6025_241167.jpg

each color was watered down significantly so I could wet blend and I would do 2 swords at a time to ensure my paint wouldnt dry out completely. turned out really nice, not the best, but it reminds me of henry walker's sharp jagged lightning post. maybe ill post a pic later

similar same type of approach you used except I moved my brighter zones around to mix it up a bit. The swords remind me of the crystal swords you could get in diablo 2

Buy an airbrush and you can get an very nice power weapon in 5 minutes! :devil:

Linky:

Skip 2minutes and 22 seconds of the video.

There you can see a awesome power weapon in abaout 5 minutes ;D

wow that looks quite amazing! I'll have to give it a shot with my airbrush. not too sure how I'll do halberds yet, but I'll have to see.

I'm thinking I may do that for my terminators and purifiers and keep the other method for PA. As the nemesis weapons power can be linked to a Grey Knights psychic ability, I'm thinking a brighter style like in the video will work well for Grey Knights that have more psychic potential such as terminators and characters.

Edit: My results with the air brush.

gallery_49724_6025_1425424.jpg

Challenges I experienced on my first try. putting the paint on too thick, and then not giving ample time to dry will allow the masking tape to pull up the paint on a finished blade half. I also lack enough paint pots so after every color for each side I was changing the color, remixing, cleaning. bah.

Nest to have a color pot ready for each color (3) youll need.

• 1 month later...

Archived