Black Templars cross.

Zincite

So, my will-be Sternguard Veterans came today off eBay. Now these will just be normal Veterans for my Guardians of the Covenant , but with very shooty weapons.

However. These Veterans are made from the Black Templars upgrade set.

Now they look totally awesome, but have those crosses all over them. The Tabards are fine since I feel they fit with my army, but the crosses bother me.

They only have one on a single shoulder pad per marine, but there's also the smaller ones on the bolters/head/tabards. Can I just pretend these are Crux Terminatus, or is it heresy? Also, They have chains on their weapons. Is this anything special or just to help hold them?

Thanks! :)

Ultimately, it's up to you. You can file them off and/or use green stuff to adapt the iconography to suit your needs.

If that doesn't appeal then using them as crux terminatus might work, although it might be clear that that isn't what they are - it depends how much it bothers you.

As to the chains, I wouldn't worry too much - templar bits look pretty good on the DA, so the odd one here and there should't be a problem. Perhaps scatter templar parts throughout the army so it seems to be a little sub-theme?

Also, They have chains on their weapons. Is this anything special or just to help hold them?

Thanks! :cuss

The background for the chains was the Templars make a vow (like an Oath of Moment) and have their weapons chained to them. Never letting them go until their vow is fulfilled. That could easily cross over to the Unforgiven. (The marine picked it up while serving on a Deathwatch team, etc...)

As said, the crosses are up to you. I took off the big ones on mine since they are easily recognizable as being different from the Crux Terminatus (two different styles of crosses)

Perhaps scatter templar parts throughout the army so it seems to be a little sub-theme?

Hmm, not that's a good idea. Stealing parts from those arrogant nitwits whilst still looking cool...?

The background for the chains was the Templars make a vow (like an Oath of Moment) and have their weapons chained to them. Never letting them go until their vow is fulfilled.

In that case, I'll keep those at least, since as you said it's not too hard to imagine it being used by the Dark Angels.

Thank you for the replies both!

The early, 3rd edition artwork of the Dark Angels 1st company veteran in power armor (white power armor) showed him with a Black Templar-style cross on his left leg greave. It was painted black. I know that it was probably before the Black Templars codex came out but you could always say that the crosses are pieces from earlier armor marks of armor, and are revered because they are associated with heroic deeds of the prior veterans who wore them. I know that we dont paint our power armor white anymore since the 1st company are only fielded in terminator armor, but the old fluff could be adapted to fit your army.

Or you can say that they are badges given to the marines after serving in campaign allong side the BT and were kept as a reminder.

Though its a bit unlikely since we tend to keep to ourselves and all,but the 13n black crusade could be a plase where we were 'forced' to fight along side our brothers.

Or you can say that they are badges given to the marines after serving in campaign allong side the BT and were kept as a reminder.

Though its a bit unlikely since we tend to keep to ourselves and all,but the 13n black crusade could be a plase where we were 'forced' to fight along side our brothers.

I thought we were in the bussines of exterminating them... ;)

Black Templar fleet? What Black Templar fleet? Oh, you mean that one. Why yes, they were lost in the Warp and it's a complete coincidence that 2 Dreadnoughts cases, three Rhinos, and nineteen suits of Power Armour turned up in the Rock's armory.

Wait. That's a pretty good idea. And it would certainly add an element of sinisterness to the Chapter...

:)

Maybe you could paint them in a way where it is almost like the paint isn't completely covering the prior work? :P

That probably wouldn't really happen though, but it would be disturbingly kind of funny.

I think the green stuff idea to turn the BT style cross into an almost Terminator honor looking iron cross style would probably look good. Not sure how fluffy it would be for a DA force on anyone other than Sergeants and above personnel...

I contemplated using Black Templar bits with my Vets as well, but decided against it. The BT are a distinct force all on their own, the closest thing we have to an actual Legion nowadays. Dabbling in BT iconography will distract from the mission at hand!

I contemplated using Black Templar bits with my Vets as well, but decided against it. The BT are a distinct force all on their own, the closest thing we have to an actual Legion nowadays.

Offtopic:Well we are quite a legion as well and i might add more organised than the templars.

Edit:Are those shoulder pads with the symbol made in,decaled or painted?Either case replace it.

I contemplated using Black Templar bits with my Vets as well, but decided against it. The BT are a distinct force all on their own, the closest thing we have to an actual Legion nowadays.

Offtopic:Well we are quite a legion as well and i might add more organised than the templars.

Very true :)

Not sure how fluffy it would be for a DA force on anyone other than Sergeants and above personnel...

They're only on the Veterans. :(

Edit:Are those shoulder pads with the symbol made in,decaled or painted?Either case replace it.

They're 'made in'. But this is the crux (pun intended) of the matter. Can those BT shoulder pads be passed off as Crux Terminatus?

For a proper Dark Angels force, I wouldn't dream of using the parts. However as I have a lot more 'freedom' with my Chapter I bought the models, thinking I could just shave off any insignia. However, it turned out they look too awesome already.

The greenstuffing idea is good, but I only have milliput which I can't get to work well in small amounts, and I doubt I can make them look okay.

I've decided how to divide them up squad-wise, so I'll start painting one tonight and see how he looks. I'm heavily leaning towards making it look like an old Black Templar suit that's been liberated.

All the Unforgiven together would constitute a Legion, but right now the Black Templar are essentially a legion, even though they are for less organized than we are.

And the icons on the shoulder pads and other bits are built into the mold, so it would take quite a bit of work to remove them all. Not impossible, but not very practical in my opinion.

All the Unforgiven together would constitute a Legion, but right now the Black Templar are essentially a legion, even though they are for less organized than we are.

I'm not sure about that... Unforgiven have a centralised command system accross a number of Chapters that operate together (if need be). That makes them much more coherent as a fighting force compared to a Chapter that its components act individually in Crusades that span accross the Galaxy. To me Unforgiven are a true secret legion (and they see themselves as such) while Black Templars are an overextended Chapter that their numerical size is largely irrelevant due to their operational doctrine...

This is my take anyway...

You cannot pop the icons off, they are built into the plastic. If I had some lying around I would take some pictures and show them. You would be better off just coming up with a story to explain why your army has them.

I actually try to say,remove the whole pad i know they are one part with it :).I did it a couple of times by dripping some alchool into the joint.It dissolves the glue.

Hmm, interesting. May have to try that.

Well, I painted up the figure as a test, took photos, and was unable to upload them for a few days. Still they're here now. What do you think?

gallery_57656_5812_3414438.jpg

gallery_57656_5812_1677411.jpg

He's the most Templar-ish of the bunch. It's only a speed-paint, but shows it well enough. I think I might have to paint the Cross on the chest in darker colours to 'hide' it, maybe black or gold.

Too Templar?

Archived