Pre-Heresy Legion name.

So my brothers,i need to heed the council of those wise and versed in the librariums histories tha lie in the Rocks darkest depths!

While i was i discussing a couple of days ago with some other first founding chapter players about the HH and the great crusade,the discussion shifted to the legions true names.What i refer to is,the names of the legions when they were concieved,before been renamed by their primarchs upon their reunion.

The other guys knew only those:

Dark angels->First Legion/The First?????

Luna wolves->Sons of Horus->Black Legion.

Dusk Raiders->Death Guard.

War Hounds->World Eaters.

Word Berers->Imperial Heralds.

Now what about us?The discussion came to the conclusion that we couldnt find any references and thus it might be that we were not named.We were simply nown as the First Legion or simply the First.Both an honour mark and a name.Then it was the arch heretic,the thrice damned Luther that named the legion when he saw a group of assault marines desend on Caliban for the first time.

What my brothers know and dare to share about our well documented,but also obscured past?

According to the Horus Heresy novels, the Dark Angels' original name was indeed the First Legion. Maybe this was done on purpose - the fact they were the first being enough of an honour without the need for another name. That does raise an interesting question though - perhaps all Legions were named when their primarchs were found.

Having said that, with the Death Guard being a particular case in point, it sounds like some Legions did indeed have a name prior to their primarch being found, with the primarch then deciding to rename them.

I like to think that perhaps over time they earned these nicknames (either before or after meeting uniting with their Primarch). Being the 1st, there was no need for another name.

Having said that, with the Death Guard being a particular case in point, it sounds like some Legions did indeed have a name prior to their primarch being found, with the primarch then deciding to rename them.

I thought that was also the case with the World Eaters?

In some long forgotten tomb (read: Too tired and sore from a weekend at the tracks to remember) it is noted that we were, in fact, at some point prior to having the Astartes join The Lion's armies on Caliban, known as the Emperor's first true 'Angels of Death'.

In some long forgotten tomb (read: Too tired and sore from a weekend at the tracks to remember) it is noted that we were, in fact, at some point prior to having the Astartes join The Lion's armies on Caliban, known as the Emperor's first true 'Angels of Death'.

That doesn't mean(unless you can quote the source) that that is what the dark angels were named prior to coming to Caliban. To me that just sounds like we're being called the 1st legion. Also according to Descent of Angels we were just called the 1st legion. Seeing as this is a more recent source of cannon I'd tend to go with it. As for the OP's example names the Luna Wolves were named after finding Horus, not before. To my knowledge the only ones that weren't referred to by legion number were the world eaters and death guard. There may have been others but if there are I can't remember or they aren't mentioned.

Before meeting their primarchs they were just refereed to by their legion number. After the primarchs they were named for various aspects of either the nature of the primarch or the primarchs adopted home world. Some are straight forward like the 1k sons, ultramarines, and iron hands. Others like the imperial fists and white scars I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any idea how the rest were named?Aside from the afore mentinoned cases ofc.

That's what I was responding to. If you read my other posts I already acknowledged that the death guard and world eaters had other names before meeting their primarchs. I'm saying besides those two legions I don't think there is anything stating that the other legions went by anything other than their number before finding their primarch.

I'm saying besides those two legions I don't think there is anything stating that the other legions went by anything other than their number before finding their primarch.

Which if course leaves it a lot of room for such things to be developed.

If you are going for a progression, the list would look like this:

1st Legion -> ???? -> Dark Angels

12th Legion -> War Hounds -> World Eaters

14th Legion -> Dusk Raiders -> Death Guard

16th Legion -> Luna wolves -> Sons of Horus -> Black Legion

17th Legion -> Imperial Heralds -> Word Bearers

I don't think saying "the first" is any different than saying "the first legion", it's just abbreviated.

I don't think saying "the first" is any different than saying "the first legion", it's just abbreviated.

Well yes you could say that but your list gives rise to a new question.Have they got through this change?I mean did they have a time been called war hounds etc.Or was the 12th legion named war hounds in their inception and they were simply the 12th legion or they started as the 12th legion renamed warhounts and then renamed world eaters?The first i believe to be the case.As i believe the DA were not named anything else and stuck to the name first legion because it was a great honour.

Speculation Ofc but do we have anything solid on all those?

Well yes you could say that but your list gives rise to a new question.Have they got through this change?I mean did they have a time been called war hounds etc.Or was the 12th legion named war hounds in their inception and they were simply the 12th legion or they started as the 12th legion renamed warhounts and then renamed world eaters?The first i believe to be the case.As i believe the DA were not named anything else and stuck to the name first legion because it was a great honour.

Speculation Ofc but do we have anything solid on all those?

Well, it says that the Emperor named them after watching them fight. I feel this to be true in most cases. I do feel, however, that being the "First" could have been the only name they needed or wanted.

Archived