SoB/Chaos SC

Fallen Sister Muriel Toki, the Maiden of the Shield

Muriel Toki was a member of the Order of the Sacred Tome almost a hundred years ago. She fought and bled for her Sisters, fanatically loyal and desperate to prove herself. Everything went wrong on a dig at an ancient Necrontyr site. The dead rose, not under their own fell power, but at the behest of a chaos witch. Muriel kept the faith with her Sisters, but ultimately it was her love for her fellow servants that proved to be her downfall. As they fell, one by one, she became increasingly desperate, until she gave in to the Dark Whisper that haunts all Sisters of the Sacred Tome. She listened to it, and used the knowledge it bestowed to take up one of the newly excavated artefacts –a small, round buckler with a clockwork-like system inside. The Whisper bestowed upon her the knowledge to utilise the Time Shield to its fullest, but at a price. For each of the nine attempts Muriel made to change the past and save her Sisters, she was forced to live on another century as a puppet to the Whisper’s whims.

The ninth attempt failed but to save a single Sister, who barely managed to return to Arcanis III with their findings and the terrible report of the team’s fate. Muriel was entered into the annals as a Lost Seeker, and the standing orders were given. Now, Muriel fights where she is directed, her body toughened by her daemonic overseer to survive the rigours demanded of her service, although she is always careful to avoid close scrutiny by her once-fellow Sisters of the Sacred Tome.

Fallen Seeker Muriel Toki

Muriel4 5 3 4 34 (10) 2 10 3 +/4++

Muriel {Elites}..........200

• Infantry, Unique

• 1 Muriel

• Bolt Pistol
  • San Leor Blade
  • Bolter
  • Grenade Launcher
  • Flamer
  • Mortar
  • Heavy Stubber
  • Power Armour
  • Rosarius
  • Frag Grenades
  • Melta Bombs
  • Incendiaries [3]
  • Time Shield

• Adepta Sororitas
  • Independent Character
  • Anathema
  • Fallen Seeker

Anathema: Muriel has committed one of the Order’s greatest sins in taking an artefact from the Archives and into battle. While she may join other units as normal, she must retain a certain level of anonymity. If Muriel joins a unit, she may not use any of the abilities or USRs granted by her Time Shield, including changing weapons – before she joins a unit, you must declare which weapons she is wielding. She may carry one two-handed weapon or two one-handed weapons.

Fallen Seeker: Muriel is recorded in the annals as having succumbed to the Dark Whisper. She is therefore a vital target for any Sacred Tome operations. If Muriel survives, when fielded in a battle containing one or more units with the Adepta Sororitas special rule, she counts as an Objective, and must be claimed as such by a scoring unit on either side. If she is killed, she is removed as normal and does not leave an objective marker - the daemon who watches over her whisks her away at the last moment. [i need a variation on this rule for Kill Point missions.]

Time Shield: The Time Shield is an ancient and arcane device of unknown origin, although theories link it to similar devices carried by high-level Necron units. The Time Shield, however, is significantly more powerful, and allows the wielder to literally stop time, while acting freely. The Time Shield grants Muriel the Relentless, Hit and Run, and Fleet USRs, as well as providing a 4+ cover save. In addition, she always counts as Initiative 10, regardless of cover or grenades. The Time Shield’s final ability is that it holds a folded space that allows Muriel to carry equipment far in excess of what her human frame could normally manage, meaning that she may freely switch between her weapons at any time.

Incendiaries: Muriel carries a limited supply of three Incendiaries with her, hidden within the Time Shield’s folded space. When she flees from combat or uses her Hit and Run ability, she may choose to leave an Incendiary in her place. When Muriel has been removed from the combat, but before any Consolidation moves have been made, place the large blast marker with the hole centred on her previous position. Any model under the marker suffers a S8 AP3 hit, exactly as though hit by a template weapon.

Sounds cool, and I am recently coming off of a 'fascination with the sisters' high myself.

However, you mention that this character can join units, but all she is listed as is a unique infantry. I am imagining something like Chronus the tank commander for the vanilla marines. Is she purchased as an upgrade to a sister superior? Or is she an independent character like a canonness? In short, why is she attached, rules-wise? Also, how would you deploy her in an army that wasn't sisters of battle (see special rule 2)?

Would she be an objective for every army? Why would the Tau, Eldar, Necrons, or Tyranids want her? The Inquisition would kill her outright, as would SoB and Space Marine variants. CSM would want the shiny for themselves. Maybe you should re-think that one.

Also, why would anybody (any player) join her to a squad, she is stupid fast, has like 6 guns/weapons that she can change at will, a cover save that follows her ANYWHERE (even into close combat), and literally explodes out of battle (although how far can she move (6 in?) and how large is the template (6 in?)?). Why would anyone ever turn that down? All she would do in a squad would be a leadership boost and some good weapons, and SoB don't really have death-star units.

Another thing: the six guns. Why? If you gave her a 'blessed autocannon' with something like Str 6 AP 3 Heavy 3, she would have plenty to do on the battlefield. The guns you have given her are wildly diversified. Let me see: a Bolt Pistol, San Leor Blade, Bolter, Grenade Launcher, Flamer, Mortar, Heavy Stubber, melta bombs, and frag grenades. Holy (no pun intended) multiple weapon disorders, Batman! That's nine weapons options! You couldn't even use all of them twice in a five turn game! At most, she would need a two handed heavy (see my blessed autocannon above) and then the San Leor blade (whatever that is, assuming relic blade or something) and a plasma pistol or storm bolter (cuz she's special :D ) Then you could give the meltabombs. I would drop even the frag grenades, because she has better choices. Keep the sword and storm bolter out, and then have the auto peek it's head out from behind the 'shield' when you want to put the hurt on some hordes.

All she needs is four weapons! A melee oriented gun-and-sword combo in one hand, and the time-shield in the other. Have the autocannon peek out from behind the shield from time to time and pound on some hordes. Then, meltabombs in case of a death or glory with a land raider or something.

Also, who does this chick answer to: the chaos demon voice thing or ecclisiarchy command? If she all of the sudden says "I hear voices, sisters, and they tell me to do X, Y, and Z" then her order is going to flip a pancake made of power armor, fire, and death and send it after her. If she has a demon that whispers to her but she ignores, then it will keep whispering and she will slowly go insane. See the problem? Just work out your fluff a little more.

Okay, that's all I have for now. See you later.

However, you mention that this character can join units, but all she is listed as is a unique infantry. I am imagining something like Chronus the tank commander for the vanilla marines. Is she purchased as an upgrade to a sister superior? Or is she an independent character like a canonness? In short, why is she attached, rules-wise? Also, how would you deploy her in an army that wasn't sisters of battle (see special rule 2)?

She's got the Independent Character rule.

• 4 weeks later...
Sounds cool, and I am recently coming off of a 'fascination with the sisters' high myself.

Chengar got this one.

Would she be an objective for every army? Why would the Tau, Eldar, Necrons, or Tyranids want her? The Inquisition would kill her outright, as would SoB and Space Marine variants. CSM would want the shiny for themselves. Maybe you should re-think that one.

The rule only applies to armies including models with the Adepta Sororitas rule - so that's ones with Sister of Battle models. Basically, she is to the Sororitas like Cypher is to the Dark Angels, that's all. If the rule was to spread, its easy enough - Necrons want their Time Shield back, Chaos want her to join their cause of the day (she's already kinda Chaos), Marines/Guard/GKS happened to read about her in the morning paper (allies with the Sororitas etc), Dark Eldar want the Time Shield, Eldar want this fricken' time witch to stop screwing up their predictions... Nids I got nothin', but dat arm fing looks rite orky.

Also, why would anybody (any player) join her to a squad, she is stupid fast, has like 6 guns/weapons that she can change at will, a cover save that follows her ANYWHERE (even into close combat), and literally explodes out of battle (although how far can she move (6 in?) and how large is the template (6 in?)?). Why would anyone ever turn that down? All she would do in a squad would be a leadership boost and some good weapons, and SoB don't really have death-star units.

"Incendiaries" doesn't offer any special movement rules - she just flees 2d6 like normal. Putting her in a unit gives her ablative wounds, the potential ability to recieve boosts from Orders (if she's in a Guard army), as well as the normal bonuses. As far as I know, close combat negates cover saves as a feature of the cover save rules - but since she has a rosarius, it's moot anyway. I might drop the rosarius though, since its the one item that doesn't make sense for her to carry within my concept. The size of the Incendiaries blast is listed in her stats. It's the large blast marker from the core book. Same one that Guard Demo Charges use, since that's basically what it is.

Another thing: the six guns. Why? If you gave her a 'blessed autocannon' with something like Str 6 AP 3 Heavy 3, she would have plenty to do on the battlefield. The guns you have given her are wildly diversified. Let me see: a Bolt Pistol, San Leor Blade, Bolter, Grenade Launcher, Flamer, Mortar, Heavy Stubber, melta bombs, and frag grenades. Holy (no pun intended) multiple weapon disorders, Batman! That's nine weapons options! You couldn't even use all of them twice in a five turn game! At most, she would need a two handed heavy (see my blessed autocannon above) and then the San Leor blade (whatever that is, assuming relic blade or something) and a plasma pistol or storm bolter (cuz she's special :lol: ) Then you could give the meltabombs. I would drop even the frag grenades, because she has better choices. Keep the sword and storm bolter out, and then have the auto peek it's head out from behind the 'shield' when you want to put the hurt on some hordes.

All she needs is four weapons! A melee oriented gun-and-sword combo in one hand, and the time-shield in the other. Have the autocannon peek out from behind the shield from time to time and pound on some hordes. Then, meltabombs in case of a death or glory with a land raider or something.

The thing about the six guns is that they're specifically all very common weapons you could pick up anywhere, with the exception of her standard Sororitas equipment (bolter, bolt pistol, SLB). San Leor Blade should have been statted in her profile for independant publishing, but the idea is that all Sisters have one, but since they're bastard swords (the traditional weapon of the Daughters of the Emperor, pre-Vandire) they're too unwieldy to carry into battle with everything else. The SLB is a master-crafted CCW that can be wielded two-handed for +1 strength. Muriel can carry hers because she stores it in the shield when she's not wielding it, just like everything else.

The mortar, flamer, grenade launcher, stubber and frags are all imperial guard/PDF weapons that she's stolen and stored in her shield. A special 'unique to Muriel' weapon would weaken the idea that she's literally a normal Dialogous (or maybe Pronatus, looking at some of the information on that Order) who found an artefact - she has no reason to have a blessed super autocannon of doom before she digs up the shield, and she doesn't have the resources to commission one afterwards. She could steal one if it already existed, but they don't.

Also, who does this chick answer to: the chaos demon voice thing or ecclisiarchy command? If she all of the sudden says "I hear voices, sisters, and they tell me to do X, Y, and Z" then her order is going to flip a pancake made of power armor, fire, and death and send it after her. If she has a demon that whispers to her but she ignores, then it will keep whispering and she will slowly go insane. See the problem? Just work out your fluff a little more.

Okay, that's all I have for now. See you later.

The fluff on that is in there. It's why she has the Anathema and Fallen Seeker rules - she was a Sister of the Sacred Tome. Here's an expansion for you, though: The Order of the Sacred Tome are all plagued by the Dark Whisper. It's a daemon of Tzeentch (an agent of the Blue Scribes, specifically) that constantly offers knowledge and power to ordained Sisters, and only through rigorous discipline, steadfast faith in the Emperor, and constant vigilance do the Sisters remain unsullied. The only Sacred Tome sisters who don't suffer from the Dark Whisper are the Archivists who maintain the Order's library and vault - the primary requirement to be an Archivist is that you have to be a Blanker (Untouchable/psi-blind), and this the Dark Whisper can't make itself heard.

Fallen Seekers, like Muriel, are Sisters of the Sacred Tome who have given in to the Dark Whisper and accepted one of its many deals. The standing orders regarding Fallen Seekers are thus: Capture, give to the Archivists, interrogate, execute. The Whisper always asks a price of servitude from those who Fall, the duration of the service depending on the secret learned - Muriel's secret was huge, so she has to serve for nine hundred years. A Sister who Falls for information on an Eldar egg-cup or something might only have to perform a single task for the Whisper, which then takes their souls to Tzeentch's Garden (although of course it doesn't tell them that's where they're headed). It's a standard Deal with the Devil, really. The Fallen Seeker is effectively excommunicated, and has already agreed to perform the tasks demanded by the daemon - so the direct answer to the direct question is: She answers to the daemon now. The Eccelesiarch have already been informed that she's KiA.

Archived