That secret

Olis

Firstly, apologies for luring you in with a deliberately vague subject title. Secondly, apologies if this is actually supposed to go into a different subforum, but I reckoned on getting what I need to know from the horses mouth. :tu:

Okay, so I dabble in writing fiction (and by dabble I mean fanfiction that no-one really gets to see :confused: ) and I've decided to utilise a traitor legionnaire as a villain. One of his lieutenants is a Fallen Angel who some of the protaganists are supposed to come into contact with. Now, I have two questions:

1) Could an Inquisitor be aware Fallen Angels exist (and if so, to what extent)?

2) Is it in keeping with the Unforgivens character to 'erase' those that know/find out/come in contact with the Fallen? If so, with extreme prejudice, yes?

Thankyou for your time, brothers. ;)

Firstly, apologies for luring you in with a deliberately vague subject title. Secondly, apologies if this is actually supposed to go into a different subforum, but I reckoned on getting what I need to know from the horses mouth. :tu:

Okay, so I dabble in writing fiction (and by dabble I mean fanfiction that no-one really gets to see :confused: ) and I've decided to utilise a traitor legionnaire as a villain. One of his lieutenants is a Fallen Angel who some of the protaganists are supposed to come into contact with. Now, I have two questions:

1) Could an Inquisitor be aware Fallen Angels exist (and if so, to what extent)?

2) Is it in keeping with the Unforgivens character to 'erase' those that know/find out/come in contact with the Fallen? If so, with extreme prejudice, yes?

Thankyou for your time, brothers. ;)

1) Possible... It wouldn't be anything concrete though. Just rumors and hearsay (not heresy) of a dark secret.

2)Yes, absolutely. You don't keep a secret for 10,000 years without cracking a few eggs. ;) In fact, my Successor chapter is built around hunting down those who might have learned something about the secret of the Unforgiven, Imperial or no.

1.) It has been hinted at and I believe the most recent codex acknowledges that some within the Highest Levels of the Inquisition know of the Fallen, but for their health they don't mention it. I can see a few lower Inquisitors figuring it out but also keeping their mouths shut to avoid an unfortunate accident.

2.) There are hints that the Unforgiven go to great lengths to cover up/hide their shame. The Black Templar Codex has a mention of a run in with the Dark Angels and they were never heard from again so extreme prejudice would be warranted.

1.) It has been hinted at and I believe the most recent codex acknowledges that some within the Highest Levels of the Inquisition know of the Fallen, but for their health they don't mention it. I can see a few lower Inquisitors figuring it out but also keeping their mouths shut to avoid an unfortunate accident.

2.) There are hints that the Unforgiven go to great lengths to cover up/hide their shame. The Black Templar Codex has a mention of a run in with the Dark Angels and they were never heard from again so extreme prejudice would be warranted.

I love no. 2 - had never heard of this before - would be cool to have a backstory in our next Dex about this.

My view:

1) No! But unfortunately with the mass of BL books out there I might be misinformed... I know Ragnar knows - haven't rear the relevant book though. About Inquisition knowing, I find it impossible for them to know and not have taken action. Inquisitors are not exactly intimidated, even if their life is threatened... Which brings us to the second question:

2) Yes! Anyone who knows is liable to "accidents". Again I don't know how the subject is treated in relation to Ragnar... So it is possible for an Inquisitor to start suspecting things, but I think he'll not live long enough to tell!

I love no. 2 - had never heard of this before - would be cool to have a backstory in our next Dex about this.

Yeah, the story is in the BT codex. The Black Templars capture a traitor marine (that just happens to be in black armor with no livery) after helping a Dark Angels force take a fortress. The BT take the prisoner to their ship when they are ordered to give the prisoners over to the Dark Angels by the DA master. They are reluctant to do so, until the sensoria reads the Dark Angels powering up their weapons. They turn over the prisoner and the Dark Angels leave. Moving to the system jump-point, the BT cruiser sent a short communication. That was the last they were heard from. :cuss

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Crusade_of_the_Ophidium_Gulf

Obviously they were lost in the Warp. :cuss

Also keep in mind that there are many "layers" of secrets. So an Inquisitor can have a hint say of a renegade that he suspects is from the DA chapter - an unsual occurance or rather an occurrence unheard of previously. He doesn't have to know about the events of Horus Heresy, Luther's or the Lion's fate or anything so specific.

The Inquisitor investigating a specific Fallen will make for a fine detective story especially when the DAs try to throw him off the trail without heavy handed action while at the same time trying to capture the Fallen themselves!

No I feel like writing a story myself :cuss.

It really does stretch belief that the DA's obsession with their hunt could push them far enough to kill BT...but that's what the fluff's all about, isn't it? "Lost to the Warp" indeed. ;)

Be that as it may, I strongly suspect the DA will go to great lengths to avoid engaging and killing other Imperium forces over this, especially other Space Marines and Inquisition forces.

The Inquisitor investigating a specific Fallen will make for a fine detective story especially when the DAs try to throw him off the trail without heavy handed action while at the same time trying to capture the Fallen themselves!

This would make a great BL novel, I wonder why it hasn't been done yet...

This would make a great BL novel, I wonder why it hasn't been done yet...

Everytime a BL author tries, the DAs kill them.

Thankyou for the replies, brothers. I was going to have a handful of astartes and an Inquisitor appear to be casualties of war at the end (after meeting some DA 'reinforcements') but maybe I could wrangle it a little and not kill them all. Hmm.

1- I would think that unless he just directly stumbles into one of the Fallen, it is very unlikely that an Inquisitor would have direct knowledge of a Fallen that gets reported back without some kind of DA action. The Dark Angels and other Unforgiven seem to give this hunt the highest priority they have, very likely to a similar extent that the Inquisition takes all their cases, so if there's a whiff of a Fallen that bears investigation, I would think the Unforgiven would likely have already checked it out and taken action depending on just how big a "whiff" it really was and exactly what it led to.

2- The Dark Angels and Unforgiven likely terminate or Servitor with extreme prejudice those with connection or knowledge of the Fallen in a manner similar to the Grey Knights and daemonic knowledge/contact. I would not put it above the Dark Angels/Unforgiven to terminate a planet over this. After all, they seem to fear being reviled as traitors more than damning themselves by their actions.

The closing pages of the 13th Black Crusade background book, which is written as an Inquisitorial after-action report, features a handwritten note regarding the Unforgiven capturing an unprecendented number of the Fallen during the conflict. It is implied fairly heavily that at least some members of the Inquisition are aware of the Dark Angel's secret. How do they interpret the Fall of Caiban? How long have they known? What are they doing with this knowledge? The inclusion of the note raises more questions than it answers.

As to how the Unforgiven would cover up their activities - the higher-profile and/or more recognizable the witness, the more likely they will just "disappear." It won't do for them to be found, dead or alive.

No one knows what Castellan Raimer said in the communique. No one knows what that Fallen Angel said to him.

The Fallen Angel, who IIRC, had two pistols and a sword.

No one knows what the comminique said to High Marshal Helbrecht. The Chapter Master of 6000 marines and the most capable naval commander of all space marines.

No one knows.

The truth is. We do know. And we are coming for you. You dont ;) with the Black Templars.

2- The Dark Angels and Unforgiven likely terminate or Servitor with extreme prejudice

What sweet irony would it be if instead of killing this Inquisitor, the DA catch him and wind up making him into a scribe servitor to document interrogation sessions with the Fallen. Obviously someone as esteemed as an Inquisitor deserves to carry own his service to the Emperor.

Deep in the Rock the Reclusiam comes to session to admit new Interrogator Chaplains

-Sapphon: Next?

EPK walks in.

-Sapphon: So brother what makes you think you are up to the job?

What sweet irony would it be if instead of killing this Inquisitor, the DA catch him and wind up making him into a scribe servitor to document interrogation sessions with the Fallen. Obviously someone as esteemed as an Inquisitor deserves to carry own his service to the Emperor.

-Sapphon: Give this man a Crozius already!!!

No one knows what Castellan Raimer said in the communique. No one knows what that Fallen Angel said to him.

The Fallen Angel, who IIRC, had two pistols and a sword.

No one knows what the comminique said to High Marshal Helbrecht. The Chapter Master of 6000 marines and the most capable naval commander of all space marines.

No one knows.

The truth is. We do know. And we are coming for you. You dont ;) with the Black Templars.

A few points. The wargear of the Fallen Angel is never stated. Just that he was armored in "ancient black power armor without livery or panoply". Also, Raimer received the demand from the Dark Angels master immediately after reboarding the ship, so no time for interrogation. Lastly, the communique Raimer sent was short and was to an undetermined recipient.

Also, the Dark Angels are probably the only chapter that isn't going to be intimidated by numbers. You've got 6,000; we've got at least 8,000. 7,000 of them just repainted their armor for a while. :)

Also, the Dark Angels are probably the only chapter that isn't going to be intimidated by numbers. You've got 6,000; we've got at least 8,000. 7,000 of them just repainted their armor for a while. :blink:

This is the first I've heard of this. Source?

I think Sharp is referring to the rest of the Unforgiven (the DA successors).

As to the topic at hand - bugger it, I'll off 'em all. No witnesses! :eek

Also, the Dark Angels are probably the only chapter that isn't going to be intimidated by numbers. You've got 6,000; we've got at least 8,000. 7,000 of them just repainted their armor for a while. :eek

The Chapter Masters of the Unforgiven successors are called Grand Masters. Azrael is the Supreme Grand Master. He has that title because he still retains authority over the successors. The Dark Angels and their successors have retained enough of the old Legion command structure that they could easily operate as one if pressed. In fact, the codex states that the Unforgiven could easily become a Legion again if Lion'el Johnson was to return.

Also, the Dark Angels are probably the only chapter that isn't going to be intimidated by numbers. You've got 6,000; we've got at least 8,000. 7,000 of them just repainted their armor for a while. :tu:

The Chapter Masters of the Unforgiven successors are called Grand Masters. Azrael is the Supreme Grand Master. He has that title because he still retains authority over the successors. The Dark Angels and their successors have retained enough of the old Legion command structure that they could easily operate as one if pressed. In fact, the codex states that the Unforgiven could easily become a Legion again if Lion'el Johnson was to return.

Almost as if by design. ;)

Oh, Dark Angels. Closer to heresy than Blood Angels since the 80s.

Archived