What was the Emperors plan?

2000AD

Yes we all know that he set out to destroy religion in favour of science..

BUT did he do this in the mistaken belief that this would somehow end the threat of Chaos?? The powers are fuelled by natural human emotions not worship per se..... thats not to say eliminating religion wouldnt help but it most certainly wouldnt eliminate the problem. It could in fact be argued that encouraging humanity to worship him would help facilitate the demise of chaos far easier...... the lesser of 2 evils so to speak.

Or was it that his quest to eliminate religion had nothing to do with destroying chaos?

Or was chaos right...... did the Emperor secretly plan to ascend to Godhood? And in doing so hope to defeat chaos 'mano et mano'??

Or was he just incredibly naive??

I doubt he was naïve - I think the issue is not directly discussed or mentioned to leave the Emperor's motives slightly mysterious, perhaps even unknowable.

I wouldn't ever judge the Emperor to be naive; by definition he's beyond the pinnacle of mankind: the collective consciousness of every shaman. He managed to influence and lead from the background for millenia, only later stepping forward to unite man in literally his worst moment. I think he knew what he was doing, insofar as was possible. His own demi-god creations are what undid his plan.

I believe - as you suggest - his plan was to minimize emotion as much as possible by focusing on merit and science, abandoning faith, religion, and the like. That would have stymied the growth of Chaos and given us the edge we'd need.

Without his leadership, we've not only devolved back into an emotion-driven society that ironically worships him as a god...but half of his progeny or better has joined the very thing that he was trying to stop.

I have no idea, but I think the Horus Heresy was planned, and I think what is happening now was planned. I think he wants to destroy the Chaos Gods, and it has been prophisized by both the Primarchs and the Cults dedicated to him, that he will return (with the primarchs) and do battle against chaos one final time.

I have no idea, but I think the Horus Heresy was planned, and I think what is happening now was planned. I think he wants to destroy the Chaos Gods, and it has been prophisized by both the Primarchs and the Cults dedicated to him, that he will return (with the primarchs) and do battle against chaos one final time.

I wouldn't be suprised if this was the case, i have often thought the same.

Albeit that Chaos feeds off of emotions, there is the whole aspect of religion i.e. worshipping them, praying for something, sacrifice/donations etc that would then spread the number of followers, increasing the power as well as the likelyhood of daemonic incursion across the galaxy

One point about the OP refering to Emp's intention to ascend to godhood, the four Chaos Gods abandoned Horus to avoid being caught in the power the Emperor was building up to obliterate Horus's soul as they could've recieved some significant "collateral" damage.

Also, raises the question as to why convert the Golden Throne into a life support system if he was to ascend to godhood upon his death?

In my opinion, the Emperor's plan is more to do with humanity reaching its full potential instead of being blinded by the concept of divine will, which he percieves as a manipulative instrument, designed to remove responsibility and consequence by attributing an individual's success/failure/suffering to an invisible presence who has rewarded/punished said individual, for living according to that religion's ruleset

Also, raises the question as to why convert the Golden Throne into a life support system if he was to ascend to godhood upon his death?

Because someone still needed to guide the Astronomican. The Emperor was basically doing this while he still walked with mortals with a mere fraction of his power. Because Magnus had fled and Malcador wouldn't live long enough, the Emperor had little choice but to install himself into the Golden Throne to keep guiding the Astronomican. This way Humanity could still survive as the Imperium rather than become fragmented again like in the Age of Strife.

The Emperor's Plan;

1. Use the chaos gods to create the primarchs

2. Use the primarchs to lead the legions

3. Unite mankind

4. Destroy religion

5. Put Magnus on the throne

6. Ascend to godhood

7. Kill chaos gods

8. Live happily ever after

The Emperor's plan was to make humanity die a slow and agonising death. All's going according to plan so far.

So true.

Seriously though, his plan was to use the Primarchs to unite humanity, fix the Webway so the human empire would never split up again, keep the chaos gods away somehow then step back and give the Primarchs control.

And lastly the Horus Heresy was not planned. If it was planned the Emperor would have just handed half the Primarchs over to Chaos then hit himself with a big hammer. Well it was slightly planned. But it didn't turn out like it was suppose to.

The Emperor's Plan;

3. Unite mankind

4. Destroy religion

6. Ascend to godhood

7. Kill chaos gods

This. That's the conclusion I've come to after reading the Horus Heresy series thus far.

It seems to be the compromise between the two radical narratives we are given, one the official position of the Emperor and the Great Crusade, the other the articulated position of Chaos with which we have been presented. If both contain an element of truth, we end up with something like the above.

The Emperor's Plan;

3. Unite mankind

4. Destroy religion

6. Ascend to godhood

7. Kill chaos gods

I have to agree....... yes the Emperor wanted the best for humanity and yes the Emperor was anti-chaos..... but he was nevertheless massively power hungry and knew that the only way to properly guiode humanity was to become its God and in doing so he could fight chaos on their home turf and hopefully destroy them properly.

Two birds.....one stone

Archived