How can I paint power weapons

thade

The GK codex is the first GW book I've seen with the like, but I see them all over the next...some color-background with little white-highlighted lighting bolts on it, lots of blending involve. I stink at blending, but I've been practicing on sprues. I still stink.

I did a few searches on here (each one took roughly five minutes to come back) and found nothing related to 'painting power weapons'. What few write-ups I've found on the net at large are very brief and not very detailed.

If anyone has found a decent how-to, I'd be very grateful.

If anyone wants to write-up a how to and answer questions, I'd probably cry with joy.

Some general how-to-blend tips would be especially appreciated. ;)

Awesome Paint Job has a pretty great demonstration of the effect in this video (
) starting at 2:23. He uses an airbrush, but if you don't have one I imagine you could get a similar effect with patience.

TY for that link, Valerius; I really like that effect.

Sadly I haven't the kind of area required for airbrushing, or I would definitely pick one up. I'll keep practicing blending on primed sprue then. :tu:

If you're after a way to make blending easier, look into wet blending. There's bound to be tutorials out there for it and you don't need an airbrush, either. You might have to get some thinner, though. :tu:

The way I've always done it is to paint the PW ice blue (or some similar super-pale blue), and then glaze it with a thick layer of purple ink. Once the ink glaze has dried, you drybrush ice blue over the edges and corners. I also used it with snot green for a plague sword once, and it came out looking decent. I was going for an anime effect where the blade is made out of an energy field, but only glows brightly at the corners.

Good luck finding purple ink, though...

Vallejo make a VGC Violet Ink, which I guess would be close. Failing that, you could follow Awesome Paint Job's tutorial on how to make an ink wash, and use Daler Rowney or Winsor & Newton ink..? (from memory, both do a purple)

I found

which was encouraging; but to be honest I'm nervous to "goop the paint on" and I'd like to try to work without the drying retardant. I'm about to go experiment (on sprue) with watered down paints doing something very similar to what he's doing in the video. I'll have to keep it level (easy with sprue, not as easy with other things I might paint) or possibly dry off access with paper towel.

By the time you see this and type "NO THADE DON'T DO IT!" it will be too late. U_U The sprue will be lost.

Vallejo make a VGC Violet Ink, which I guess would be close. Failing that, you could follow Awesome Paint Job's tutorial on how to make an ink wash, and use Daler Rowney or Winsor & Newton ink..? (from memory, both do a purple)

Depends on if the Vallejo ink is an ink or a wash. I use ink glazes for a number of special effects, which depend on the ink actually being ink instead of being a paint wash. My Khornate Brass, Burning Yellow-Orange, and Power Weapon effects all depend upon it. The effects don't work at all right with washes.

Depends on if the Vallejo ink is an ink or a wash. I use ink glazes for a number of special effects, which depend on the ink actually being ink instead of being a paint wash. My Khornate Brass, Burning Yellow-Orange, and Power Weapon effects all depend upon it. The effects don't work at all right with washes.

This is a review of Coat d'arms: HERE

The guy has switched over to Vallejos due to consistency problems between one paint pot and the next. But the quality of paint itself is fine

I use two Cd'a products in a super shader and a ink wash. Both are shiny in finish and are very opaque .

I think it was silly for GW to drop the Ink range at the expense of the Wash range. They are different tools altogether.

"Hmmm, I want to stock a hammer, I had between leave out the screwdriver....".... :(

Cd'a is the same paint as GW paint in the '90s.

+++

I have a PP book in front of me, and it has a painting article by the Mike McVey. He says P3 has inks and describes them in a way that makes me think they could be what you want:

"Inks are some of the painter's greatest allies. Dull flat colours can be imbued with depth and richness with one quick glaze, and detail that once was lost can be made to re-appear magically with a well-placed wash. They are great for mixing with paint because you can thin a colour with ink and lose none of its coverage. Mix paints and inks anyway you want for a huge variety of different results."

I have been testing some of P3's paints: HERE on the B&C and they are often as good as or better than a GW paint, but with an extra 50% for the same price....

Vallejo call it "Vallejo Game Colour Ink Violet", as opposed to "Vallejo Wash Blue", so I would hope it was an ink. ;)

Alternatively, Winsor & Newton make a purple/violet/ultramarine drawing ink, and Daler Rowney make a "purple lake" colour in their FW Acrylic Ink range. As mentioned earlier, Les (AwsomePaintJob on YouTube) mixes the FW inks with water and flow improver to make his own washes ...

Too late, Olisredan!

I don't understand the difference between an ink and a wash? Could someone explain it to this painting rookie, using small words? :( I've exclusively used GW paints since I started two years ago; very used to how colors combine and end-up, at least insofar as my marines are concerned.

So I tried some wet blending and it really seems like the kind of thing I'd need to practice for literal years before I could trust myself to be consistent with it. It's tricky, to say the least, and I didn't like the way it came out. It's "okay" but it doesn't scream "power weapon" at me.

What I'm thinking of doing now is something very simple. Like, stupid simple:

• Based in white.
  • Washed in an extremely watered down Enchanted Blue. (Not sure how many applications of this.)
  • Hit blade edges with 50/50 Enchanted/Sky Blue.
  • Very tiny white lines on blade edges (framed by the previous edge work).
  • Call it a day.

So, if I do this up relatively clean, I think this will make me happy. That's my theory. Going to try it tonight.

I don't understand the difference between an ink and a wash? Could someone explain it to this painting rookie, using small words? :(

Iirc, an ink is a liquid pigment suspended in a solution (whereas paints are powdered pigment in a solution) and washes are pretty much a very thin version of paint. Because of the nature of their make-up, (actual) inks tend to be richer in colour than washes, and have a glossier finish. It's also worth bearing in mind you can water down inks ALOT more than you can with washes.

Hope this helps. :)

I don't understand the difference between an ink and a wash? Could someone explain it to this painting rookie, using small words? :D

Iirc, an ink is a liquid pigment suspended in a solution (whereas paints are powdered pigment in a solution) and washes are pretty much a very thin version of paint. Because of the nature of their make-up, (actual) inks tend to be richer in colour than washes, and have a glossier finish. It's also worth bearing in mind you can water down inks ALOT more than you can with washes.

Hope this helps. :)

Completely true.

It is unfortunate that wash and ink get used in vague ways, which adds confusion. Also, you wash with inks, yet there is a product called wash. Verb and noun confusion. Boo!

+++

With ink, I have added one drop of ink to eight drops of water, and it still covers well. Ink really is great and should be in every painters collection, if not GW's :P

I don't understand the difference between an ink and a wash? Could someone explain it to this painting rookie, using small words? :D I've exclusively used GW paints since I started two years ago; very used to how colors combine and end-up, at least insofar as my marines are concerned.

The previous posters give a pretty good explanation, but I'll add to it. GW's washes (and Coat d'Arms Super Wash and Vallejo Washes) are basically an "acrylic stain" - when they dry, they are water-fast, and matte. The various inks (Coat d'Arms, old GW, Vallejo, W&N, Rowney) are, well, artists' inks - they dry glossy, and may not be water-fast (read: get it wet, and it'll come off).

Inks are typically used for glazing to tie layers together and give the colour depth, which I don't believe can be done with the washes. A good one to try if you're starting out is Coat d'Arms Armour Wash - basically, a mix of black and blue inks - works very well on weapons.

I don't understand the difference between an ink and a wash? Could someone explain it to this painting rookie, using small words? :cuss

Hope this helps. :HQ:

You sure on that? What I've read (from non-gaming sources, though) tells me that inks are dye-based instead of pigment-based. That's why they work so differently from a standard wash, because they don't actually have pigment. If you tried using pigment-based ink in a pen, you'd find that pigment particles would eventually settle out and clog the pen's mechanism.

I'm not 100% on it, no. I'm just going by what I (sort of) remember from discussions with friends and mentions of it on the net over the years. You could very well be right, brother.

I don't understand the difference between an ink and a wash? Could someone explain it to this painting rookie, using small words? ;)

Hope this helps. :(

You sure on that? What I've read (from non-gaming sources, though) tells me that inks are dye-based instead of pigment-based. That's why they work so differently from a standard wash, because they don't actually have pigment. If you tried using pigment-based ink in a pen, you'd find that pigment particles would eventually settle out and clog the pen's mechanism.

And the difference between liquid pigment and dye is?

Just asking out of curiosity, not to bash you. :)

Painkiller

Archived