Little advice here

I need a little helpful suggestion I guess. Let me start off by saying that I am nowhere near as good at painting as the vast majority of you guys. After looking, I have new heights to aspire to. However, at the place I work I am one of the better painters I guess. I don't like saying that really. I feel like its just a matter of practice and patience, but whatever. Anyway, one of the guys there wants to pay me to paint some fantasy pieces for him and I have no idea what to even think about charging for that. I don't really feel like I'm on that level, but he seems to. So I guess my question is, what do people normally charge for something like that? Especially considering I still have some projects of my own to work on? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well I guess it really depends on the level of quality that your client would be expecting that will gauge your price. One guy at our FLGS likes to run with the thought that for a basic squad, he charges the cost for the squad out of the box, I.E. if you spend $40 on the box, then you pay $40 to get them painted. And for special characters, or random mini's you want painted to a better level (i.e. spending more time on them) you could expect to be paying more then the price of the mini...

But to really answer your question, we would really need to see some good, clear pictures of some stuff you have painted. (and don't judge yourself to the level that you see in some of the logs on this website, because some of these guys are just crazily skilled)

-kizzap

ultimately, what is your time worth to you? How much would they have to pay to get you to make their stuff a priority over your own?

Look at is as a balance between 3 things, Time Money and Quality

If they want quality and quickly, it'll cost more,

If they want quality and cheap, it'll take time,

if they want quick and cheap then it won't be pretty.

Whenever people get me to do stuff for them, I tell them I'll need it for a while and I'll do it for the cost of paint I use, usually equates to a free color or 2 at the end.

Be wary of commission stuff if it is just something that you are doing on a whim. It will dominate your hobby time untill it's done, made the mistake myself in the past and am still playing catch up. What sometimes seems like a nice way of making some cash can become a major headache if you don't know what you are letting yourself in for. You have to price it realistically, it is going to take time to get done if you are talking a lot of models.

Having said that though if you are confident that you can get them done and he'll be happy with the quality then go for it as it can be a nice way of making some extra cash.

Archived