Who do you want to write the Imperial Fists book?

The stock answer is, of course, A D-B because his books are so much fun to read; however, I'd like to see someone else get a crack at the Fists. I don't think A D-B's natural inclination towards subversive (or simply iconoclastic) characters lends itself towards the utterly loyal nature of the Fists.

Abnett would write a brilliant book about a story that takes place within the Fists' purview, and probably go hundreds of pages without a single Marine showing up. I would not necessarily have a problem with this.

Of course, if I had to pick anyone to write the Fists's story, it would be Matthew Farrer. The 'Shira Calpurnia' books are so far the only Black Library books that I have enjoyed and been able to recommend to others without having to tack on the 'if you like 40k.' caveat.

I think that Abnett should be the one. I think he captures the loyalists really well, while AD-B captures the traitors really well. Both are really good authors though.

Also, I do like pretty much every author of the series, so I think they could all handle it well.

It was brought up that Abnett made them more human, but I think that fits the loyalists really well, while the "above human" fits the traitors. It adds to the attitude of both sides.

Fact is by the time this rolls around, there will most likely be several more authors writing within the Heresy series.

BL have several new authors with books coming out soon (Sarah Cawkwell, for example), and one of them might be most suited to tackling the Fists.

I say we develop time travel, kidnap Logar Grimnar, and make him write the IF book. Space Wolves are great storytellers after all. :P

Failing that, I would go ahead and suggest A-D-B, Ben Counter or James Swallow. McNeil seems to like making Space Marines less uber-killy super soldiers and more touchy-feely wimps. Dan Abnett is a great writer (Horus Rising is still my favorite book in the series) but I think that under his well constructed sentences his portrayal of Space Marines is lacking somehow.

Failing that, just keep Matt Ward away from it or we'll have Sigismund, armed only with an oven mitt, win the Seige of Terra by himself...

I jest of course.

My first choice would be to see Chris Wraight have a crack at the Imperial Fists, I've just started reading Sword of Justice (granted a Fantasy novel rather than 40k but still...) which seems great so far and his short story Flesh in Hammer and Bolter was also excellent.

An interesting choice (though I have ony heard the Waiting Death Audio at present) would be Steve Lyons.

I've never read Ian Watson but from what has been said it would be curious to see what he could do.

Failing that, James Swallow could be an interesting choice after Flight Of The Esienstein (though I would not want to inflict him on the Fists after what he's done with the Blood Angels) or maybe Graham McNeil.

In the realms of impossibilty, I'd be curious to see what William King could do with the Fists. Now he's finally back at Black Library (and the Blood of Aenarion novel extract is excellent) it would be good to see what he could add to the proceedings.

It doesn't really bother me who writes the IF book. Counter, Swallow, Abnett and McNeill and AD-B have all written good books in the series so far.

Im sure there are other Astartes as good as, or better than Sigismund from other Legions, but of course M2C doesn't beleive that is possible. ;)

All Legions had better fighters than Sigismund. They were called Primarchs. :P Well, except for the 2nd and 11th Legion. They'll never call Sigismund a sissie again......

All Legions had better fighters than Sigismund. They were called Primarchs. :P Well, except for the 2nd and 11th Legion. They'll never call Sigismund a sissie again......

I said Astartes not Primarchs. :P

Hmm... Space Wolves are clinically insane?

Lets look at some evidence:

1) They were not as insane as the World Eaters or the Night Lords, both of whom caused destruction far outmatching the Space Wolves.

2) They were led by a Primarch who put on a barbarian act to appear more intimidating, which in itself is unintimidating.

3) They liked to sit around and circle jerk each other talking about how tough and vicious they are, while other legions had them beat by several orders of magnitude

4) They were hardly a final sanction, seeing as the would do anything the Emperor told them too. As A D-B pointed out, thats how a dog acts, not a wolf. And it implies if they can stop, they must have control, and can't be insane.

1) They were not as insane as the World Eaters or the Night Lords, both of whom caused destruction far outmatching the Space Wolves.

2) They were led by a Primarch who put on a barbarian act to appear more intimidating, which in itself is unintimidating.

3) They liked to sit around and circle jerk each other talking about how tough and vicious they are, while other legions had them beat by several orders of magnitude

4) They were hardly a final sanction, seeing as the would do anything the Emperor told them too. As A D-B pointed out, thats how a dog acts, not a wolf. And it implies if they can stop, they must have control, and can't be insane.

You missed the point. Torgaddon says it to Sigusmund in Horus Rising (as esinhorn said). And anyway, Saul Tarvitz is better than Sigismund (so is Sor Talgron).

You missed the point. Torgaddon says it to Sigusmund in Horus Rising (as esinhorn said). And anyway, Saul Tarvitz is better than Sigismund (so is Sor Talgron).

Torgaddon is the joker of the group though.

I'd taken that as him cracking a joke.

Archived