A thought on the sacking of Prospero

Hephaesteus

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Just because there's nothing in "Prospero Burns" and "A Thousand Sons" about Horus' order to Russ doesn't mean it didn't happen (there in fact being evidence in "False Gods" that the conversation did happen) there's no given perspective in either book that would give us insight.

The way Russ acts in Prospero Burns is that the Emperor wants Magnus dead, but it's muddled.

Hauser doesn't hang out with Russ constantly enough to be privy to Primarch-to-Primarch communications and Russ DOES give Magnus warning and the impression I got was that the intent was to capture and bring him to Terra. Something has changed by the time they got to Prospero.

Not quite. You have'nt read Battle of the Fang have you? Russ supposedly makes one final attemtp to get Magnus to surrender as they are fighting at the Pyramid of Photop according to Magnus when he is talking to himself.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Just because there's nothing in "Prospero Burns" and "A Thousand Sons" about Horus' order to Russ doesn't mean it didn't happen (there in fact being evidence in "False Gods" that the conversation did happen) there's no given perspective in either book that would give us insight.

The way Russ acts in Prospero Burns is that the Emperor wants Magnus dead, but it's muddled.

Hauser doesn't hang out with Russ constantly enough to be privy to Primarch-to-Primarch communications and Russ DOES give Magnus warning and the impression I got was that the intent was to capture and bring him to Terra. Something has changed by the time they got to Prospero.

Not quite. You have'nt read Battle of the Fang have you? Russ supposedly makes one final attemtp to get Magnus to surrender as they are fighting at the Pyramid of Photop according to Magnus when he is talking to himself.

Yea, I was just rereading the conversaton between Russ and Kasper. The tone you get is that the idea of offering surrender to Magnus is completely Russ' idea, not a original order. Russ also points out that he wants Kasper nearby, right up to the advance so that Magnus would know it is never too late to beg for mercy.

This seems to indicate that the order directly from the Emperor was full sanction from the beginning and the offer of surrender was from Russ alone.

the problem here is the Prospero Burns was supposed to give us the answers to those questions but instead turned into a crap story about some human (whatever he was suppose to be).

there was hardly anything in that book to provide any answers.

the problem here is the Prospero Burns was supposed to give us the answers to those questions but instead turned into a crap story about some human (whatever he was suppose to be).

Agreed..... massively disappointing.... even worse than 'DOA'..... and thats saying something!!

Agreed..... massively disappointing.... even worse than 'DOA'..... and thats saying something!!

No. Just no. The only thing wrong with Prospero Burns was the title. It was a great insight into the wolves as a whole, during the period before the heresy, told through the eyes of a mortal instead of through Astartes.

Having said that, some more detail regarding the actual burning of Prospero and the build up to it, the though processes of Russ etc would have been nice. Hence why I dont like the title.

The book even made me research the real world Casper Hauser a bit so I could enjoy the similarities that were there.

Edit; maybe 'Unleash the Wolves' would be a more appropriate title

Archived