GW brushes.

I know GW sometimes puts out so-so products sometimes but today I just somehow used burned out my 2nd fine detail brush in 4 months. I was only painting a shoulderpad, wasn't anything too crazy and it was perfectly fine before and as I'm moving through the different colors I notice the brush is getting thinner and harder to use until there's only a few strings left. Now is this strange? Anyone else have problems with the fine detail ones? I haven't had any issues with the others but I'm thinking this time I'm going to get a competitor's brush and see if theirs is any better.

i can honestly say ive never had this problem before with a gw brush.... I use detail and fine detail brushes more than anything else, and they typically last me a good long while if im paying attention. my main problem is paint drying at the metal tip and spreading the bristles....but thats my fault more than anything.

Yeah im with you on the recent brushes, especially the fine ones.

Ive seriously got GW brushes that are well over 15 years old and are still useable (and sometime even still havign a very good tip!).

I recenlty purchsed a fine brush and had all the bristles fall out while i was painting. The prevoius one mysteriously got thinner and thinner the more i used it (I assume one of my paint pots has a lot of hair in it now) and lasted just over two months.

It's to the point now that I have told the manager at the GW store that I want money back on all 3 brushes if the current one falls apart as well. :tu:

(spelling edited)

I had a Citadel fine detail brush recently loose all of the bristle while I was cleaning it. I swished it in the water and started wiping it off on a paper towel and the whole thing fell apart. That was the first time I have had a brush do that to me since I quit buying "play" brushes.

I usually buy Loew-Cornell which cost about the same or even a little less. I got comfortable with them for applying make-up before I started painting minis so it sort of held over.

I brought a GW large brush last weekend so I could start painting up my Templars, & every time I ply paint to the tip of the bruhs, within a few strokes the bristles start to spread. Don't know if I am doing someting wrong or it is the brush but I am having to literally water the brush & put a new bit of paint on the brush every 3-4 strokes?

Sable brushes do drop out, or dry up and break off over time. Acrylic doesn't help either. Just need to becareful with it. GW brushes tend to be of lower quality sable as well, so you may want to check out your local art supplier. A decent mid-range konlinsky sable brush like a Raphael will last you a long time...:cuss

I've always found GW's brushes to be "quite good", although I've not used any of their latest ones - I still have some of the black ones from the 1990's, and some of the red ones from around 2003, going strong. I still tend to used my larger GW brushes over my Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes for undercoating and base-coating large areas ...

If you're looking for some decent-yet-not-too-expensive brushes, may I suggest Winsor & Newton "Artist's Watercolour" sable brushes (not their "Series 7" range, the one below it - I think they used to be called Series 16) - you can get a size 00 for £3.02, or a size 2 for £3.99. Alternatively, they make a synthetic/sable mix (Cotman Series 111), which is a bit cheaper, although I've not tried them. I've also heard good things about the Pro Arte "Renaissance" sable range, which is a little cheaper than the W&N ones.

One thing I should stress - do not "dunk" your brush in the pots, or otherwise overload the brush, as any paint getting into the ferrule will dry there, and cause your bristles to splay and eventually fall out. I highly recommend cleaning your brushes after every use, with a good-quality brush cleaner such as the General Pencil Company's "Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver". If you can find it, Loew-Cornell do a liquid cleaner that's supposed to be quite good ...

I too have had problems with both the Detail and Fine Detail brushes mysteriously becoming thinner until there is nothing left. I guess that means that I will also find the bristles in my paint pots eventually. I have had Small, Medium and Large Drybrushes, Tank Brushes and even an old GW detail brush that keep soldiering on, so maybe the issue just lies with the smaller size brushes.

Archived