How were the first chapters created?

TennisBall

Hello all, first post here and I'll use it to ask this.

The legions were broken up to form chapters but how was this done. Were the chapters, grand companies or similar of the legions simply sheared off to be their own organisations or were they broken up and recombined to form chapters that better fitted the combined arms concept of the codex? The Imperial Fists seem to have split based on personality but what of the others?

Some Legions had already used "Chapters" as sub units within the Legion, so I assume for them it was more or less simply a matter of removing that Chapter from the overall hierarchy of the former Legion. Though they were probably all given a new HQ (with librarium, arsenal, armoury, etc.) and a personal fleet. But not all Legions had used Chapters, and those other Legions probably had to reorganize their great companies a bit more.

Most likely legions each had their own method to how they wanted to be split up. There's a couple important questions that would need to be answered to give decent inference.

How large were the original chapters? They might have been 1,000 but given the size of the legions, they may have been larger.

Were the legions forced into being split a certain number of times? What I mean is, did Guillimen tell the legions how many chapters had to be formed or were they allowed to decide on their own?

I think they just broken each legion down to 1000 man chapters, along with the associated support. Remember, not all legions were able to split at first, the Iron Hands being a notable example.

You mean the Salamanders.

Wolves dumped all undesirables into the successor chapter.

Actually no, it's a fan theory that's been circulating around for a while now but Battle of the Fang disproves that. The Wolf brothers were given half of everything and intended to be just as powerful and strong as the Wolves as the start of a series of Russ sucessor chapters around the Eye.

Actually no, it's a fan theory that's been circulating around for a while now but Battle of the Fang disproves that.

Okay. I stand corrected.

But it also seems like I won't be reading Battle of the Fang. And as getting rid of all the undesirables sounds cooler than bowing to Guilliman's ideas, I will continue considering that to be the canon.

Was the 2nd Founding after the Scouring? The Salamanders didnt take part in the 2nd Founding, but everyone else did and the Ultras produced 16 recorded chapters (plus any number of unrecorded/DIY/fan-made chapters).

I'd guess that they jst divided up companies/chapters into new Chapters, maybe putting two companies together to create a 2nd founding Chapter.

Most legions apparently already followed a Legion > Chapter > Company > Squad > Combat Squad > Marine format from their original founding. Some, like the Wolve, chose a more "Great Company" format of Legion > Company > Squad > Marine. We know that when the time came to break down into smaller "Chapters", the Ultramarines were already structured in that manner, as were the Dark Angels. We also know that the Imperial Fist split along idiological lines rather than stay with their Legoin > Company > Squad format (they jumped straight to Marine > Chapter > Company > Squad).

In the end, each legion had to do it their own way. Those that could do it easily, did. Those that couldn't, didn't.

SJ

Archived