Question about washes

Going to try putting a wash on my test mini. I have Testors acrylic paint and I was thinking of thinning it down and using that, but is an actual wash mix from one of the stores required?

you dont specifically require one of the various bottled "washes" my black wash is essentially chaos black paint mixed with airbrush thinner, water and a tiny bit of washing up liquid because badab black i find too matte.

I generally make washes by mixing a 50/50 mix of water and an existing paint color in an empty mixing pot. I tend to use a lot of some washes, and none of others depending on what I'm doing. Course, that's because I tend to need washes in odd colors, like a wash of Fiery Orange.

Going to try putting a wash on my test mini. I have Testors acrylic paint and I was thinking of thinning it down and using that, but is an actual wash mix from one of the stores required?

An actual wash is thinned paint … What GW sells as "washes" are translucent paints, which are a completely different beast — namely, they're "unthinned" paints that don't harden to an opaque finish.

You can indeed use normal paints - the studio staff do this (e.g. on the "Leviathan" Tyranids, they wash with Warlock Purple). As an alternative to using Future Floor Polish, Fairy washing up liquid, etc, you could add thinning medium (Liquitex, Winsor & Newton, etc) - washing up liquid will strip the natural oils from the brushes, which isn't great for them in the long-run.

Les Bursley has a video on making ink washes (using Rowney artist's inks):

Dunno if that's any help!

Archived