painting blood Angels in assault on black reach

Hello,

i'm new to the forum and miniatures in general, well i had a few questions

what supply set or individual parts do you guys recommend for a blood angels codex in assault on black reach (spray brush, paint colors, etc)

same thing for the orks except which codex should i paint them, i.m not interested in playing orks but allowing my younger brother to play them (hes not old enough to paint them IMO)

thanks i would not like to go over 70 dollars on supplies but if i have to i will.

PS i have no paint supplies at the moment so help a newbie out

Hey there,

To be fair, the best place for you to get started is your local shop. They can advise you on everything that you need to get painting and playing.

But, seeing as how you asked, it'd be rude not to answer so here goes.

I'm more of a painter than a player and I've got over 100+ paints and what not. It all depends on how good'a job you want to do really.

If you just want them tabletop quality so you can crack on with the playing then you need very little in the way of supplies, if this is your aim then I would recommend;

A Regular sized brush - to basecoat/wash etc.

A Detail brush - for those simple details you need to add such as shoulder trim etc.

A Pair of clippers - to cut the minis from the frames.

A Scalpel/Hobby knife - to remove the big chunks of flashing.

A can of Black undercoat.

Paints;

Mechrite Red,

Blood Red,

Devlan Mud Wash,

Goblin Green,

Chaos Black,

Skull White,

Boltgun Metal,

Enchanted Blue,

Badab Black wash.

- most of these can be found in a hobby starter set, which would probably be a good buy for you.

A simple guide to painting Blood Angels with the above materials would be;

1. Undercoat the model with Chaos Black Spray.

2. Basecoat the model Mechrite Red.

3. Wash the model with Devlan Mud.

4. When dry, drybrush the model Blood Red.

5. Pick out shoulder trim Chaos Black and paint on any squad markings in white.

6. Paint the chest Eagle and soft joints Boltgun Metal and wash with Badab.

7. Pick out the eyes (if you can) with Enchanted Blue.

8. Paint the base Goblin Green and you're done. Rinse and repeat.

If you're actually interested in doing a good job on the models then you'll need some more materials, let me know if you want a detailed painting guide and i'll write you one up.

Motorbike Mike.

Hello,

i'm new to the forum and miniatures in general, well i had a few questions

what supply set or individual parts do you guys recommend for a blood angels codex in assault on black reach (spray brush, paint colors, etc)

White spray primer, blood red, scab red, chaos black, boltgun metal, an empty paint pot, and then another color for the eyes. Start by priming white, then painting them blood red in several coats to make your brush strokes go away. Then pour about a third of your scab red into the empty paint pot, mix it with an equal volume of water, and now you have a wash to make the details on the marines pop. Once that's done, go over the boltguns, and trim on the shoulder pads and backpacks with Chaos Black. Again, it'll take several coats. Drybrush the edges of the black areas of the backpack and boltgun with boltgun metal. Then you take your fine detail brush and carefully pick out the eyes with that "another color." I suggest Scorpion Green.

There's an alternate color scheme if you like your space vampires shiny; look around in the Blood Angels codex and you'll probably find it.

For brushes, the standard GW brush set is a good place to start. Don't worry about the airbrush just yet; its just a piece of junk single action one like you can get for cheap at a model train store that's designed for once-over basecoating. You're not going to be entering any tournaments with those guys anyway.

same thing for the orks except which codex should i paint them, i.m not interested in playing orks but allowing my younger brother to play them (hes not old enough to paint them IMO)
I'd probably start with a somewhat medium green, then wash with a darker green using the instructions I showed you above. The only thing you have to worry about now is what color their clothes are...
thanks i would not like to go over 70 dollars on supplies but if i have to i will.

PS i have no paint supplies at the moment so help a newbie out

I don't think I've ever gone above $70 on paint before.

thanks for all the help and i guess ill be buying some paints from the train store. i ordered the set online. goes to show how new i am i didnt know about the undercoat. thought i was just going to spray paint with some primer i had lol. thanks a ton its been really helpful. aslo is their any just part sets that come with spare sprats like the occasional heavy bolter or chainsword? or will i just get spare part when i expand my army

As you expand your force you'll find you end up with quite a few spares depending on what unit types you buy. If you look through the Blood Angels codex it will give you a good idea about the kind of units you may need for your army.

Just remember that everyone was a newbie at some time :lol: so don't worry about asking for help :)

thanks for all the help and i guess ill be buying some paints from the train store.

I sincerely hope you're referring to GW paints from a model train store. Testors and the like (the ones I see most often used on model planes and trains) will not stick very well to GW plastics and generally aren't made for the type of miniatures you'll be painting.

Do yourself a favour and order GW Paints, Vallejo Game Colour or Cote D'Arms paints online.

thanks for all the help and i guess ill be buying some paints from the train store.

I sincerely hope you're referring to GW paints from a model train store. Testors and the like (the ones I see most often used on model planes and trains) will not stick very well to GW plastics and generally aren't made for the type of miniatures you'll be painting.

Do yourself a favour and order GW Paints, Vallejo Game Colour or Cote D'Arms paints online.

guess ill order online thx for the help

Archived