Ghoststalker Raphael

rpnightsend

So my DIY dark angels chapter makes extensive use of stealth, making them disliked by other unforgiven chapters. Typically they make heavy use of scouts in addition to their ravenwing when searching out Fallen, and their assault marines are often used in tandem with their deathwing to catch fleeing targets.

The captain of their 4th company bears the honorific title of "Ghoststalker" as it is his duty to prevent vital targets from fleeing.

These are the rules I developed for him, I tried to base him around Captain Shrike to give me somewhere to start.

WS6 BS5 S4 T4 W3 I6 A3 Ld10 Sv 3+

200 Points

Wargear:

Master-Crafted Lightning Claws (Only reroll one To Hit)

Frag and Krak Grenades

Bolt Pistol

Wings of the Lion

Iron Halo

Special Rules:

Fearless

Relentless Pursuit

Independent Character

Wings of the Lion: Raphael's jump pack is designed for insertion into dangerous areas already marked by the ravenwing. He and any squad he deep strikes with may use teleport homers to prevent scattering. If Raphael is by himself, he will only scatter 1d6 if not using a teleport homer.

Relentless Pursuit: Raphael and the Assault Marines of his company are specially trained for catching the Fallen. Any Assault Marines in an army including Raphael may exchange ATSKNF for the Fearless USR. Additionally, they count as I5 ONLY for the purpose of rolling to catch a fleeing unit in a sweeping advance. If they win combat against a fearless unit, they count as scoring one additional wound for the purpose of the No Retreat! rule.

Hmm. Can you justify his points? He seems cheap to me.

IMO ...

the wording on the special rules needs tweaking. "May" suggests choice. Remove this because he and his gang needs to "do or do not".

Wings of the Lion: Raphael's jump pack is designed for insertion into dangerous areas already marked by the Ravenwing. He and any squad attached to him do not roll for scatter when Deep Striking onto the table.

So, why would he scatter if he's by himself? It makes more sense to me that the more people around him should cause a little scatter. You know, bumping into each other on the way down or something. It's silly to think. So either he and/or they all scatter 1D6 or not at all. Keep it simple. Come to think of it ... is WotL the Jump Pack or the ability?

Relentless Pursuit: Raphael and the Assault Marines of his company are specially trained for catching the Fallen. Any Assault Marines in an army including Raphael exchange ATSKNF for the Fearless USR. Additionally, they count as I5 ONLY for the purpose of rolling sweeping advance against a fleeing unit.

I suggest removing the part about No Retreat. There's already two rules packed into one. A third definitely crosses into OP-land. Thematically ... well actually it breaks the theme You want Fearless because it prevents you from rolling LD tests, but you want a mechanism to save them from suffering the obvious drawback. Humbly speaking, that's having your cake and eating it too.

I'm sorry Race, I think the wording has you confused.

First of all, I based his points around Shrike, who, for 5 points less, allows a squad to infiltrate with him and gives everyone fleet.

As far as the rules go:

He and his squad will always scatter the full distance, BUT he may use a teleport homer to avoid scattering (which normally you couldn't do because he's not teleporting). If he's by himself and NOT utilizing a teleport homer, he only scatters 1d6.

As far as relentless assault goes, I stated that they only count as scoring the extra wound if they WIN. If they lose they still suffer their full allocation of wounds. The point is that they're better at catching fleeing/losing enemies, so against fearless opponents (who their extra point of initiative for sweeping advances is useless against) they inflict an extra wound. They don't get any kind of bonus if THEY lose combat.

Thought I made that pretty clear.

So, for 5 more points his initiative increases, he allows a squad with him to use teleport homers, and he only scatters 1D6 without teleport homer help. Then, in exchange for ATSKNF, any Assault Squad in the army become Fearless, grants an additional Initiative when Sweeping Advance and (against Fearless units) cause an automatic extra wound when/if they win combat?

The downside to all this is ... if Assault squads lose close combat then there are no bonuses. Fearless is a debatable bonus.

Actually, you did make it clear. My suggestion was to tone down the awesome (without using those words). Implicit in that is an alternative: raise his points cost. 5 points is way WAY too cheap for what he can do by himself standing still because he is a wee bit better than Shrike with that Initiative boost alone.

I understand completely what you are wanting to do. Raphael gives a lot of bonus at very little cost to you. If your gaming group is cool with that, then rock on and go for it. :pirate:

No I'm trying to develop a balanced but fluffy character.

First, I'd argue that fearless is much worse than ATSKNF. For a variety of reasons.

And its not for 5 pts more he does all that, he doesn't give the army fleet, he doesnt allow you to infiltrate a squad with him.

Also, his ability only affects assault squads, not the whole army, and those aren't even a troops choice.

Archived