Anyone play with a Techmarine?

Coot83

I have been researching the tactica of using a techmarine as I dont know of anyone in my area who uses one. I was just curious if anyone has tried to use one, if so, how did it go?

I was going to try to make a list that had some heavies like a vin, whirlwind, and a land raider.

I was thinking of either trying to use belial and termies or sammy and some bikes for a 2k list.

I also was looking into using zeke with mind worm for a second hq choice with a command squad. I know this list doesnt really comprise of alot of DA's strengths, but I thought it might be fun to try something just a little different than everyone else.

Coot

Techmarines can be good, however they will always be shadowing your mech units with it to get any use out of it.

That said, I can remember one game, C:SM vs Eldar where the guy tried to assault the Tech with some unit I don't know what was called, however ended up being an inch short of being able to assault, my turn, I move up into a flamer range, and wiped that whole squad off the board...which was fun...

So I recommend trying it, however I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't turn out to be that good :tu:

-kizzap

About a year or so ago there was a player (march10k?) who used one regularly in a Deathwing/Ravenwing list. It certainly seemed to work for him - I believe he used him to repair dreadnoughts and Land Raiders, as well as a for counter-charging. I believe he did use servitors too, but I'm not sure about the load-out - I will have to see if I can dig out the old battle reports he wrote.

I haven't tried one myself, but I think the key to using them is knowing what role you intend them to fulfil and then sticking to it. Make sure the rest of your army selection is sympathetic so he can fulfil the role successfully. For example, if you want him to advance with a dreadnought, there's probably not much point giving the servitors heavy weapons. Conversely, if the dreadnought is kitted out for fire support, it might be worth giving the servitors heavy weapons. He's a support character, so you need to think carefully about what he's supporting.

Hope that helps. :D

EDIT: Aha! It was Mughi3 who used to run a techmarine in his list. Try the battle report below:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...3&hl=mughi3

I don't have one yet, but My thought for my army was to have a tech marine in his own personal Razorback with Laz-cannons. it would be 180 for the tech + Servo harnes + Razorback + laz. and function kind of like a lesser armoured Predator. that fixes itself. He'd pop out to do the fixing but spend most of the game inside the vehicle.

But then again It would be 105 for just a Las predator with no sponsons, or 205 for a Tech marine with harness and Las predator with no sponsons.

So for a savings of 25 points, my tech marine gets a mobile bunker, and I loose 2 points of front armour

I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea at this point.

Or I could allways Do Tech + Servos + 4 Servs with Multi Melta = 200 on the nose, + Drop pod = 250 and have a dedicated tank hunting unit to drop behind enemy lines.

Allthough a 5 man devistator squad with multi meltas in a pod is only 200 points

I have a Techmarine in servo harness, with about 6 servitors to choose from. Two heavy bolters, two multimeltas and two power fists. While I have yet to use (and finish building him) I intend to use him as a devastator unit, as my current squad is geared for anti tank/heavy infantry, the Techmarine and friends will be anti horde (thinking of sticking some HBs on the two power fist servitors)

Def some good ideas brothers...I am thinking I might stick him in a vehicle as well and just have it be able to repair itself. Not sure how well the servitors will hold up if they are always in the open.

Coot

I've messed around with a Techmarine supporting a Venerable Dreadnought. The idea was I'd make my opponent reroll Destroyed damage results and repair anything else. What wound up happening is my opponents just didn't shoot at the Venerable. I figure a Techmarine with a servo harness is still a better investment than one of our Librarians, though.

I've use techmarine sometimes (well when I am not playing pure deathwing, ravenwing, or death-raven)

On my first time, my techmarine (servo harness) with 4 servitor(servo arm) failed repair immoblized LRC for 3 turns, I decide suicide him by sent him into enemies, but he survived and wiped out a long fangs pack...

He's not going to repair again, never. He's born to kill.

I have used techmarines for many uses and have never felt let down, they always deliver for me.

One i have used was a defensive build, taking the servitors with heavy weapons, they vary on what i am fighting but heavy bolters are always a good cheap choice.

The other use, obviously, was to fix my vehicles, again with servitors as they are relatively cheap and are extra wounds for the marine. This works as both a deterrent and as an actual fix. I would recommend taking a techie and seeing how it works for you. i love taking them, obviously.

Cheers

I use Techmarines heavily when I deploy my host of Razorbacks and Predators.

They're very good at taking down Daemon Princes (I've taken out 5 so far using my DA one.) They can restore stability with vehicles. Not to mention, they can have that Thunderfire Cannon attachment.

Sorry, a bit late to the party here. Great replies all.

I use Techmarines heavily when I deploy my host of Razorbacks and Predators.

They're very good at taking down Daemon Princes (I've taken out 5 so far using my DA one.) They can restore stability with vehicles. Not to mention, they can have that Thunderfire Cannon attachment.

The DA don't have access to the Thunderfire -- yet <_<. And note that until that Thunderfire is blitzed off the table, your 'techmarine' is merely a gunner :mellow:

Cheers

I

I havent used a techmarine yet, I find the fact that you have to remain completely stationary in the movement phase, and in base contact with the vehicle, to be quite limiting. I was thinking, however, that if I run two vindicators. I could roll them around at 6" a turn shooting at targets, with the techmarine and 2-3 servitors in between both vindicators, remaining in base to base contact with both vindicators, remaining still on turns needed to repair the demolisher cannon and or fix the tracks of one of them.

I do kind of like the idea of tech marine sitting in contact with a dreadnaught, maybe the dread has plas canon, missile launcher, or some other combo similar to that. The techmarine has harness, 2 servitors with servo arms, and a few plasma cannon servitors. Our servitors are still BS4, so they at least shoot pretty good.

I'm planning on getting a techie. I've got a soft spot for them as they would often be included in armies years ago and the battle reports in WD used to paint them in a very good light. I appreciate, however, that this was several editions ago.

Yeah, I think back in 2nd you had to field a techmarine if you wanted to field any vehicles at all.

They could have three wargear cards too. I used to give mine a narthecium so he was an apothecary, but better.

I finally just completed my first game and I played with two techies. They proved to be pretty fun to play with as they have alot of options. The servitors seemed to be a great asset as they can have a melta, plasma cannon, heavy bolter, or just help fix things. I used two whirlwinds in my list as I wanted to see how they would play as this was a first for playing them as well. I think I will adjust to having a vindicator in the future and more variation in meltas/plasma cannons. I think I will make my list similar to this for next time.

Int. Chap

Belial

2 DWING squads

LAS/PLAS devs(command squad style)

Whirl wind

Vin

Razorback

Two Techies

8 servitors

I am thinking I might try to add a speeder or two if points permit as I wouldnt mind having some speed with this rather slow list...I ran three squads of Dwing last time and I just felt that they took a little while to get into the game.

Coot

I used one once in a game against 'crons in support of three vennies...It was hilarious to see them only able to glance, then with the reroll, it was impossible to kill them, since the techie kept piecing them back together... Then the veil lord jumped behind me in order to be able to see me, and killed the help...so the techmarine charged him...golly, if they're not facing powerfists, techmarined kick an insane amount of ass in melee...he actually took the lord out on the charge!

Lotsa fun...and they can be insanely good, if you spend enough points on them...but that's the problem...to make them work like they're supposed to, they have to be too expensive to be worthwhile.

I have issues with techies : they're not Independant Character.

If they were (like in codex : SM), I would use them as super-vet sgt with power weapon and servo harness to support an assault squad in a rhino...

The only convenient use I would see for them in codex DA is using them to get 4 servitors with HB as a cheap devastator squad when my HS slot are full. But the problem I see with this use is that it wouldn't happen under a 3000pts list (since my usual list often include lots of troops termis and vets in drop pod rather than HS choices)... and over 3000pts you use Apoc rules... meaning I can recruit my units in othe codex => I use the SM techmarine entry rather than DA one.

Archived