Painting vehicles to fit your Deathwing Army

Brother Kovash

Just wondering what your opinions are regarding painting other vehicles to fit with your DA army. For example, I might want to include some Vindicators or Whirlwinds in the future, but to me they would seem out of place if they had a different paint scheme. Has anyone else tried this out or seen this done before?

Fluffwise, I could always come up with the story that my DA have requisitioned several vehicles from the armory for use in a campaign to hunt the Fallen. If their target was firmly entrenched in a city or bunker system, a few Vindicators would definitely help take care of that. Any thoughts/comments?

The only thing DW has in their armoury is Land raiders, those you may or may not paint bleached bone... as for vindicators and whirlwinds they come from the chapter armoury so their colour should be the green of DA.

Though it's natural that they may request a favoured vehicle and crew and it's possiblt that they bestow them some honours.. so you could get a away with a slight different colour scheme..

my 2 cents.

I am of the opinioin that only Deathwing Terminators should be bone-white, but that's just me. In the current codex there is a picture of a Ven. Dread in white so that legitimizes the use of white on pretty much everything Deathwing. Now as Chaplain Lucifer said above the DW armoury does not keep tanks other than LRs. Which implies that everything should be green. In fact the color diversity within the army is one of its major visual characteristics but if it puts you off a way going around it is to add several white details (like stripes an' stuff) on the otherwise green tanks. That will visually tie them together and background wise you can argue they were comandeered by the DW for a campaign. In fact if your white termies have green details like the chest eagle or the storm bolter casing (some prefer red) then it'll be like an inverse pattern. Mainly white Termies and LRs with some green details and mainly green "ironwings" with white detail. So here is the visual connection right there! Show us pictures once you're done! ;)

IMHO, land raiders and venerable dreads can be bone, termies (save libbies and chappies) must be bone...bikers (save libbies...) and speeders must be black...all else should be green. Of course, I violate that myself with a "ravenwing" dreddy...

I think Captain Semper has the best idea, keep the original chapters colors with some bone colors here and there to denote them also being part of the Deathwing. My story would have been to show them using the bone color, since over time working with the DW the crews of these vehicles would eventually learn who they were on the hunt for. I guess you could say they almost become Veteran vehicle crews, slowly learning the secrets of the Unforgiven.

• 2 weeks later...

My first whirlwind finally arrived in the mail, started putting it together tonight but I'm slowly running out of steam, so I wanted to share some pics before sleeping:

gallery_53412_6420_2408442.jpg

gallery_53412_6420_247140.jpg

gallery_53412_6420_1067669.jpg

I'll finish building it in the morning since I have a game to play later, no longer will I be using a razorback as a proxy! I haven't figured out exactly how I'll incorporate some bone coloring, most likely along the sides and front of the chassis should look good.

If only the SM Painter had an option for vehicles...

Edit: grammar

[shameless plug]

Here are mine. Bone Raider was first before I learned the fluff. I've gotten tired of just Green Ironwing and did up the two LRCs in Bone/Green and liked it so much that I added those panels to my existing Rhinos... then edited green panels onto my DW Raider...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/Metalbox017.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/Metalbox019.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/Ironwing001.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/Ironwing.jpg

I know it isnt fluffy but it looks good, especially with robed squads on the field anyway....

At the end of the day, they are your toys, paint them the way you want to... I've seen much worse fluff heresy... (salamander marines with skink heads, it was a mutation)

Personally, I dont much care how people choose to paint their own toys. Deathwing bone color, dark angels green, classic legion black, successor colors, or any mix. My personal choice for toy color is to keep my tanks in chapter color, even the 'deathwing' company land raiders, and I'm even starting to lean towards the dreadnaughts staying chapter color too. And then of course, if you're a successor chapter, unless they have a similar 'first company earned some honor' kind of thing like the deathwing did (which if i remember was of course after the HH so it was DA chapter deathwing that did it, not DA legion) .

Nor do I feel its a foe-paugh to field other tanks like predators and vindicators along-side a deathwing army.

Of course, I'm thinking that I'll convert a 'belials personal command/transport land raider' type of thing, which could possibly warrant a unique pantjob on my part. Maybe gray/black.

Brother dean, the way you painted your predator is almost exactly the idea I have. Thanks for the pic, I'll shamelessly "borrow" your paint job.

Xyon I pretty much have the same feeling you do, but since I do enjoy the fluff I'm trying to stay as close as possible to the paint scheme. Even though I'm playing a DIY chapter, I like to adhere to what's already in the codex.

I just finished painting my first "deathwing" raider...def took forever to paint vs the classic green. I dont know if that helps but I find painting the bone to be alot more tedius to do.

Coot

Archived