pin Vise question

So I got a pin vise, a testors 8943. According to the package it will accept bits from.0390 to .0700. It came with two reversible collets. It seems like it has a greater range than stated.

It will not accept a 1/8" (.125) bit, but will accept a 3/32" (.0938) bit with a hair of wiggle room. One of the other ends is definately smaller than the smallest bit in the package which is supposed to be a .0390. Does anyone have any ideas what the usable range is?

I would rather avoid shelling out for a buch of bits I cannot use or may not have a use for any time soon. As it is this will suit my purposes for barrels and small magnets. But does anyone have a suggestion for the larger mangets like 1/8".

Thanks for any help in advance.

I have found both collets. The problem is I do not know the true range of sizes the critter will accept. That one looks very much like the one I purchased. The specs say one thing and my tests revealed that it seems to have a greater range than expected.

I am generally not opposed to buying more tools, but would really like to avoid mass duplication overall. I am looking at mostly using it for basic conversions at this point since I am still learning the craft and working with a limited budget overall I am looking for the most bang for my buck.

I am also looking for suggestions on the best methods others have used to get the results they wanted.

Just a side note, I use the 1mm (.039) in multiples because they snap very easily if you get them in a bind, this happens more with metal models so with the newer plastics and resins this may not be as much of an issue. Even so it might be worthwhile to buy a few extras of these smaller bits, even if you only have one each of the other sizes.

I generally run to 6x each bit in the 0.5mm to 2mm range in increments (yes, this means I have around 40-50 bits at full stock. Currently running low on 0.5mm and 0.8mm). They come in packs of 6.

I get them from my local engineering supplier OR local electronics store (the 0.5, 0.8 are quite often used for drilling out holes in circuit boards).

Thanks for all of the input.

Looks like I will have to buy more bits and see what works and fill in any gaps in coverage with more tools. Most likley I will be able to go up to just shy of 1/8" with what I have and figure out a way to work with the bigger stuff somehow. I would rather make one clean hole than have to ream out a hole to make it fit the larger magnets. Call it the experience working in a machine shop or the need to do things once with the right tools. I know I am not going to be working with larger bits all too often so I might have to experiment a bit instead of chucking more money at tools right off the bat.

I keep a range of drill bits, as I use a range of wire; I have a cheap micrometer (£5 off a market stall), which was definitely a good investment, especially if you are the sort of person that drops your drill bit case on the floor :cuss (Can you tell a 0.6 from a 0.65 by eye?)

I doubt I'll ever break a 1mm, but that is too thick for my taste (paperclip wire); I use dress makers pins, which are 0.65, and I get through those fairly fast, especially recently as I have just pinned the shaft of my small flying bases. Man, that perspex blunts bits quickly!

Archived