Survivors of Istvann 5

Necris

Yes

Heh.

The Sallies and the Raven Guard made it with their Primarchs, but only a handful of Marines. Their legions were pretty much gutted, and spent the rest of the Heresy recouping their losses. The Iron Hands only landed with their Primarch and the Morlocks (Iron Hands elite, 1000 Astartes in Terminator armour), and every single one of them died, including Ferrus Manus. Little is known of what they did during the Heresy after that, but there is evidence that they kept up hit and run and headhunter missions on the Traitor Legions when they could (Little Horus short story in Age of Darkness).

Thanks I just wanted to check some facts.

and another question

were purges carried out in the other traitor legions an if so when

This is what I suspect

Sons of Horus - Istvaan 3

Emperors Children - Istvaan 3

Death Guard - Istvaan 3

World Eaters - Istvaan 3

Word Bearers - During Argel Tal's crusade the rest of the legion was purged of doubters

Night Lords - would they have even needed to purge the ranks

Iron Warriors - they were still purging their ranks after Istvaan

Thousand Sons - Prospero (Though not technically a purge)

Alpha Legion - again would they have needed a purge?

Yes

Heh.

The Sallies and the Raven Guard made it with their Primarchs, but only a handful of Marines. Their legions were pretty much gutted, and spent the rest of the Heresy recouping their losses. The Iron Hands only landed with their Primarch and the Morlocks (Iron Hands elite, 1000 Astartes in Terminator armour), and every single one of them died, including Ferrus Manus. Little is known of what they did during the Heresy after that, but there is evidence that they kept up hit and run and headhunter missions on the Traitor Legions when they could (Little Horus short story in Age of Darkness).

Hence why IH have little/no Terminator armour.

Ferrus wanted to swiftly end the heresy before it got going so wanted his best and he went with his fastest ships with the rest of his legion to follow once they had finished up other matters.

The old fluff stated that only 7 loyal marine made it, but that has since been retconned.

As the others have said, Raven Guard and Salamanders had survivors and their Primarch's make it off Istvaan 5. No numbers though, but i'd imagine its no more that a couple of hundred from each

Corax states at the end of Raven's Flight how man marines he leaves with

He states that he came to Istvann with 80,000 and leaves with I think 3,000 I'd need to check that though

I just wanted check if the Salamanders and Iron Hands had as much success as the Raven Guard

were purges carried out in the other traitor legions an if so when

This is what I suspect

Sons of Horus - Istvaan 3

Emperors Children - Istvaan 3

Death Guard - Istvaan 3

World Eaters - Istvaan 3

Yep. A few started before (Fulgrim killing one of his Lord Commanders), but mostly on Istvaan.

Word Bearers - During Argel Tal's crusade the rest of the legion was purged of doubters

And Terrans. The Word Bearers were the only ones to specifically target every Terran brother in their ranks.

Night Lords - would they have even needed to purge the ranks

Probably not. They were already on their way to becoming renegades prior to Istvaan, if anybody was planning on ducking out, they would have done so earlier, IMO.

Iron Warriors - they were still purging their ranks after Istvaan

Kind of. I think The Iron Within was an aberrition, and most of the Iron Warriors 'purged' themselves by slaughtering their own homeworld and its people.

Thousand Sons - Prospero (Though not technically a purge)

Pretty much. Any doubters changed their minds when they saw Russ's Wolves butchering their homeworld and brothers.

Alpha Legion - again would they have needed a purge?

If they did, they conducted it as they conduct all operations; quietly and quickly, unseen and unheard.

I'd like to see a short story or novel that is like Iron Within, Iron Without where you have loyalists from the traitor legions who are away from the legion or have escaped by some means and are being hunted by both there legion and a loyalist legion until the truth can be gleamed as to what side they are on.

And Terrans. The Word Bearers were the only ones to specifically target every Terran brother in their ranks.

When did they get that idea? Argel Tal's predecessor as chapter master of the Serrated Sun was a Terran, and he didn't seem to be a danger to the whole chaos-worshipping idea. In fact, the way the Word Bearers were described, they should have had the fewest dissenters of all legions, if any at all.

Then again, if you have so many marines that you can throw them away in pointless miniscule battles for millenia to come, why not root out those few whose noses you don't like.

The purge of the Terrans was touched on in the Dark Apostle series (Dark Creed, if I remember correctly), and a little bit in The First Heretic. The Terrans within the Gal Vorbak were explained as being exempt because of the daemon-blood running through their veins purified them. Ah, the joys of Possession, lol.

I thought all the legions we around 100,000 + strong the with the Word Bearers and Ultramarines exceeding this number

and yes he does state he came with over 80,000 men and left with less than 3,000

Its also stated that the Raven Guard were one of the smallest legions due in part to the lack of suitable recruits from Deliverance

If I recall correctly The Word Bearers and the Ultra Marines had over 200,000 marines (hints of possible recruitment from the two lost legions). It's pretty much official that every legion started at 100,000 in which some legions (Thousand Sons) had horrific gene seed flaws )Which left them with less than 10,000.

For the Raven Guard, he came in with 80,000 but you must think they had garrisoned troops in the other parts of the galaxy that could not make it.

No. Absorbed. Legions. Period. I may say this a million more times, but I will get people to realise it.

A D-B himself said that it was rumor-mongering and insulting done by a bitter legion who just had their greatest achievement razed to the ground, and was not in any way meant to be taken seriously.

No. Absorbed. Legions. Period. I may say this a million more times, but I will get people to realise it.

A D-B himself said that it was rumor-mongering and insulting done by a bitter legion who just had their greatest achievement razed to the ground, and was not in any way meant to be taken seriously.

Precisely. How they have been absorbed if the Wolves killed them all?

Precisely. How they have been absorbed if the Wolves killed them all?

The theory went that the wolves could've just killed the two Primarchs and whatever "unwanted" marines, leaving those marines who could still be put to good use.

Yep. A few started before (Fulgrim killing one of his Lord Commanders), but mostly on Istvaan.

Just prior to that Fulgrim tried to kill Loyalist members of the Solomons 2nd, by not having the 1st and 3rd reinforce his position. Lord Commander Vespasian had Saul's (10th) and Lucius's (13th) Companies 'assist' him. Which got him killed.

• 2 weeks later...
Just prior to that Fulgrim tried to kill Loyalist members of the Solomons 2nd, by not having the 1st and 3rd reinforce his position. Lord Commander Vespasian had Saul's (10th) and Lucius's (13th) Companies 'assist' him. Which got him killed.

I thought Fulgrim killed him because he questioned what was going on and he caught onto Fulgrims fall?

Archived