Building a Belial

Evil eyeball

I'm looking to soon start building a Belail as the first HQ for my new DA army and I was wondering if people here had sugestions for a mini from which to start for the conversion.

I looked at GW and for people wearing terminator armour I found Grouped by Material

Finecast

Njal

Logan Grimnar

Marneus Calgar + Honorguard

Kaldor Draigo

Captain Stern

Plastic

Chaos Terminator Lord

Metal

Marneus Calgar (Solo)

Darnath Lysander

Chaos Terminator Lord 2

Typhus

Now I've seen some cool conversions done with the Finecast Calgar, but that means getting 5 Honor guard members with him which to me scream Ultramarines, and I'd have no use for them.

This is why i started to look elsewhere.

I've owned the Plastic Chaos Terminator lord and the kit is wonderful (In fact I plan to use the 2 LC's from there for my Belail (as I didn't need them for a Tzeentch Terminator Sorcerer i made from my kit.

But would the legs and torso look too chaos is my question... Plus I don't want him to scream "This is the same basis as your TS HQ."

I looked at Stern as his sword seemed like an ultra cool "Sword of Silence" yet the problem here is two fold, I'd end up choping off so much of the model as the head and arm are attached to the torso. and As all GK termies, theres the whole Psychic hood to convert away.

Draigo, is the best GK option IMHO but he still looked a little I dunno, Not as I pictured Belail.

Njal and Logan are out right away as they are pretty much 1 piece with a few arms to attach. and Very wolfy.

Which leaves us the metal models which have a strike against them as I'd perfer it not be metal.

The Chaos ones Are out in this case.

Lysander, Could work if he's not too fisty with stuff to shave off

Then we have Solo Calgar, Which I'd rather get the Finecast and trade/sell convert the honor guard.

I could also convert a standard terminator but I wanted my Belail to really stand out as IMHO he should be the highest example of terminator armour in the whole of the Imperium and not look like some flunky with bits added.

Opinions Please.... Thanks people.

You forgot the metal space marine terminator captain. The right arm is attached at the shoulder and can easily be replaced with any plastic terminator arm. I used one of the Forge World resin shoulder pads here. The left hand is attached at the wrist but if you have a saw it's no trouble to cut the arm off at the elbow and attach a plastic forearm. I also used greenstuff to extend the tabard into a full robe, covering the legs.

shrug, it's all up to you... it's not just about making a great model (well it is just that for some people), but it's also a representation of your connection with the army (especially since you need him to even be able to play deathwing, lol); really it depends on your view of the army.

i just used various plastic bits from the chaos termie lord/reg termies/da bits for mine, nothing overly complicated, but i feel its a perfect fit for me none-the-less. i don't see Belial as an extravagant hero like those from other chapters, i like to think of belial (and the DA in general) as more dark, broody, and wary. not set on glory or attention, but steeped in his duties as concerned with being one of the Unforgiven.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e267/Certemplar/P8130013.jpg

anyways, i hope belial never gets an official model, i love seeing everybody's conversions on that other thread, each unique with its own feel and personality.

plus, having to make your own model for belial feels sort of a like a small 'rite of passage' into the deathwing family.

I used the plastic Chaos Terminator Lord kit. But I used my hobby knife, and greenstuff sculpting skills to get rid of the chaosy stuff, and make him look unique, also a bit scaled up, in the vein of truescale sizing my stuff.

anyways, i hope belial never gets an official model, i love seeing everybody's conversions on that other thread, each unique with its own feel and personality.

plus, having to make your own model for belial feels sort of a like a small 'rite of passage' into the deathwing family.

So very, ALL of THIS.

Well said and nice model ^_^

s

The route I went was to use the Micro Art Studio robed legs with a standard plastic terminator torso. I'm no artist with green stuff, but it was pretty easy to do robes on the top part of the model. Using plastic parts, you can put together whatever pose you like and use your favorite weapon loadout with very little fuss.

Here are links to Belial and my Interrogator Chaplain made using this method.

Mine is done from a basic termie model...appropriate arms (TLC, for me), a hooded head, a loincloth, and he's the only termie in my force with that little shield thingie on his shoulder. He does kinda stand out from the rest without going all crazy on nonstandard models.

I've done 3 different Belial versions. The finished one is using Draigo and a halberd from the GK termie box. The LC version is Lysander body, chaos termie lord arms and base, RW battleforce dread shinpads for shoulders. The right one is DA upgrade legs, regular chest, gk helm, chaos termie lord cloak/weapons.

gallery_33390_6088_189123.jpg

I don't recommend Lysander as a base unless you've got a good set of files or a dremmel. The amount of filing that needs to be done is fairly extensive and you'll need to get arms and shoulder pads from somewhere unless you want to convert the fist shoulder pad and the shield as well. Finecast Draigo was a snap to convert. You can very easily scrape off or cover up the GK symbols, the shoulder pads are seperate peices so you can use forge world pads if you want and the sword comes off fairly easily leaving with you a good spot to a glue on a hand holding a weapon. Any thunder hammer or especially the GK deamon hammer work very well for this. The last one was a kitbash and I just don't think it looks as cohesive as a whole compared to the other two.

Just to note, I've seen some people have problems with filing finecast models. Basically its less like filing and more like shredding. I may be a little more difficult than first glance to remove insignia. Just something to keep in mind.

Just to note, I've seen some people have problems with filing finecast models. Basically its less like filing and more like shredding. I may be a little more difficult than first glance to remove insignia. Just something to keep in mind.

I can see that....you'd either need to use super fine grit at really high speed, or just use an exacto in the first place...either method requires an insane amount of care, though...but, yeah....an actual file won't do good things with the finecrap medium...yet another flaw!

The stuff scrapes pretty easily with an exacto knife. It shouldn't be too much of an issue removing stuff. The other option is smoothing it over with a thin amount of greenstuff, just depends on the surface in question and the look you want to achieve.

Archived