In Midnight Clad - A Night Lords log

• 3 months later...

Nice, good use of the Plataine Blades sword. He looks like a corsair, very fitting of a ship commander.

Yeah, they're supposed to look fancy and byzantine, but to me the look like blades designed to swipe and kill quickly, or cause as much pain as possible while being pulled back due to the back-curve of the blade. 

I spent tonight trying out various paint mixtures and Vallejo Air Colour sprays to try and find what combo to base my VIII Legion. 

22703051892_6b7ec46039_c.jpg

Sorry for the ack quality, but we're looking for colour here. 

• The one the left is deep purple. That's a black base coat with a few soft, thin airbrush coats of VAC Blue on him. If you're looking for Emperor's Children, you could do worse than hitting this with a couple of highlights and some gold!
  • The second one from the left is straight up VAC Deep Sea Blue on plastic. No primer. It took an extra coat to get him covered evenly. Very dark.
  • The second from the right is straight VAC Blue on plastic. Like the above, it took an extra pass.
  • The last one on the right... VAC Arctic Blue which is a metallic, but that's written fairly small on the bottle. He looks... Different. I don't really like it.

So - Thoughts? What should I run with? This will be my first big airbrush project.

I also accidentally base coated an Ultramarine thinking I could darken down the Army Paint Ultramarine Blue. You cannot. I'll probably paint him up just for fun.
Edited by Inquisitor Engel

For your Atramentar what do you plan on using to represent the lion's head?  I've namely seen people use the shoulder from the Astral Claws kit but having seen cougars before near my own abode that leaves me with a different vision for what a nostraman lion / crag cougar / crag lion / crag cat would look like.

Just asking as I'm considering doing up some termies of my own and my only idea so far has been Cat heads from reaper mini.

For your Atramentar what do you plan on using to represent the lion's head?  I've namely seen people use the shoulder from the Astral Claws kit but having seen cougars before near my own abode that leaves me with a different vision for what a nostraman lion / crag cougar / crag lion / crag cat would look like.

Just asking as I'm considering doing up some termies of my own and my only idea so far has been Cat heads from reaper mini.

Well, I've got a unit of 10x Cataphractii sitting right now, but I'm actually going to hold out hope the Forge World release Atramentar rules as a supplemental unit in one of the next HH books (perhaps one that has the Thramas Crusade in it?) so I'll probably paint what I have as just terminators attached to my company. 

I have no doubt whatever FW do for the Nostraman lion will blow the pants off whatever I do. ;) Plus, I very much agree with you. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
With the House Hyperion Knight Errant almost out of the way, I whipped out the airbrush, some carefully chosen Vallejo Model Air paints and decided to experiment, very roughly, to see if my planned method of doing some Night Lords would, in fact, work. 

This might be the roughest I have EVER done for a model, but I was more concerned if my steps for the blue worked, and if it would still work with the red, white, and silver accents these guys will have will play nicely. All the details and colours were done with one brush, because I need to buy new ones. 

22093856814_cbbc5d5464_c.jpg

22703056052_e6ca34a564_c.jpg

1. Coat the model with Vallejo Model Air Imperial Blue (Closest to Kantor Blue in the Vallejo line) It looked a bit purple to me here, so I tried another model with a black undercoat and it just didn't look the same, so I proceeded on.
  2. Once that dried, I sprayed DOWN from above with Vallejo Model Air Magic Blue for some soft, soft highlighting. These didn't blend very well at first.
  3. Drakenhoff Nightshade all over. Everywhere. This really tied the two blues together, and made the parts that ended up being only Imperial Blue, a lot more blue, and less purple.
  4. Blue highlights are Caledor Sky with another hit of Drakenhoff Nightshade on top. They're a bit thick on this test model, but I'm satisfied with the actual highlight.
  5. Silver (Heresy Era) is Leadbelcher, Nuln Oil, and a highlight of Runefang steel.

I'm going to be brave and try this on an actual model tomorrow and get to painting some details. We'll see how that goes...

Henrikys Rezil, Commander of the Night Lords Strike Cruiser "Signum Lamenti," Commanding Lieutenant of the Terran Claws, 2nd Chapter, 5th Company is getting some paint...

22716609965_3a3f3fb474_c.jpg

The lightning is a layer line of Caledor Sky, a layer of Lutheran Blue and then a fine detail line of Ulthuan Grey. I think it's worked out pretty well. The red on the pad is Mephiston Red, Nuln Oil wash, Evil Sunz Scarlet drybrush, then a Gryphon Sepia Wash, pure highlights of Evil Sunz Scarlet again, and then a final red wash to bring it together. 

Major pro of painting Night Lords - Only have to paint black slits for the eyes! 

22690613406_189c036d5e_c.jpg

I dislike painting faces, but my first stab at pale (but not dead) skin has turned out okay. 

He also looks a bit like Bill Nighy... 

12570_7.jpg

I'm kind of stuck for what colour to paint his pouches. I don't want them to be human skin (that seems inefficient) but I'm torn on a grey leather or a brown leather. Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it's time to share the result!

For a test model, I'm very happy. Currently working out some kinks with my airbrush, which is a much bigger pain in the :cuss to load, use, and clean every time than I expected. Almost ready to knuckle down on my first real squad!

http://i.imgur.com/1KRvt0f.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xPntNB8.jpg

Really pleased with how the cape turned out. The blue really feels like "Night Lords" blue to me, and honestly, I'm pretty pleased with his face too.

Edited by Bryan Blaire
Swear filter dodge, do not replace letters with asterisks, even all the letters

that is about the same color blue I use for my own night lords

and yes he does look kinda like him in the photo...with the corsair sword and captain morgans pose...

• 5 months later...

I did something before my hand cramped up from being out of practice! (I'm terrible at this) 

22690495706_7c77c51b92_b.jpg

I think they're a good, decent standard for line-level troops. Haven't done a REAL detail pass or anything yet, but I'm okay with them right now. Both took me about 90 minutes from start to present level of paint. It should be able to make this my assembly-line process pretty easily. 

I need your advice though! What colour should I do the weapons?!

I did spend today packing and doing some more assembly-line work on this squad. Blues, metals, and reds have all been done now (except for the red on the weapons). Adding a splash of gold here and there (skulls especially, as well as some studs and other small spots) has helped widen the colour palette as well. 

22772731701_2a5eec2373_c.jpg

I do still need to do the white for the skulls, but that will require a trip to the hobby store for a fresh pot after I get back. 

I went through this entire log and replaced and repaired all the image links so EVERYTHING should work now if anyone is interested. I had to use a mix of imgur and Flickr, but hopefully this holds. 

• 2 months later...

Ta-Da! They're DONE!

I'm using the Raptor helmets on Sergeants as a mark of rank. I decided to go for a bleached look on the bone attached to them, rather than fresh bone. Ups the contrast a bit since 30K NL don't have the gold trim. 

Thanks to the FW NL decals (also picked up on my trip the other week) these guys are "Coffin + Rune" Squad, which translates to... something in Nostraman. Another squad will be Rune + Coffin, and so on. 

I am painfully slow.

23963731223_6d85eb37b1_b.jpg

I literally just clicked the like button on these on the ole FB. Scheme looks good, I like the red casings.

Ha! Thanks! I've since matte sealed them and they end up looking just a bit better. I need to remember that for the next set, which are about to get their base coat of Vallejo Model Air Imperial Blue.

• 1 month later...

Getting down and dirty with some assembly line painting. My constant and persistent pain. 

25428604015_21828bcc52_c.jpg

I still need to order a sonic cleaner to fully clear out the airbrush before my next squad or character or whatever (possibly Sevatar, haven't decided yet) but I'm pleased there's an element of progress to both the Fists and the Night Lords.

I just keep moving the paint alone. 

25335641961_06953c6b56_z.jpg

Getting down and dirty with some assembly line painting. My constant and persistent pain

A pain, huh? It's funny because these guys will be inflicting so much of it when they are done.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm off to GDC next week, and (like in my Imperial Fists log) decided I should finish my Night Lords squad before I took a week off. 

Not bad for assembly-line painting. I'm pretty pleased with there results overall, and they're consistent with the other squad, who had less of a sequential thing going on. These guys happen to belong to "Rune + Hourglass" squad. I felt it spoke more towards bolter-armed space marines than any of the other symbols. A couple had to have "Rune + Hand" due to a lack of hourglass decals, but it works still. 

http://i.imgur.com/w7XZulx.png

Sticking with white instead of bone for stuff. More striking.
http://i.imgur.com/IW78BYD.png

I tried to include some gold in random places to break things up. 
http://i.imgur.com/RChs7pW.png

Check out the SUPER old school bolter!
http://i.imgur.com/Ba9I9O0.png

This squad was mostly a mix of MKVI and III, but I felt the lone MKIV has a really nice helmet. 
http://i.imgur.com/ejK7uHM.png

I haven't based them as I have 200 32mm bases coming in the mail. I figured why not do it now before they're painting. I most definitely don't look forward to that process with my Fists, and I'm sure I'll need to do it at some point. 

Anyway, off to California! 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Did as many MKV and IV as I could. 

Hats off to anyone who does MKII and III marines in quantity without driving themselves crazy. 

26731628944_1a1f9e5585_c.jpg

For some reason the guy on the front left ended up extra shiny after the wash. Unsure what happened, as everyone else had their stuff from the same pot and turned out fine. I've no doubt the matte varnish will deal with it though, but anyone got advice on how to avoid it in the future?