About hot glue guns and plastic.

So I thought I'd make a fair few chaos spawn out of random plastic bits, hot glue and possibly green stuff.

I have read though that hot glue doesn't stick to plastic properly? In what sense?

(I would not be using the glue to attach plastic to anything personally, just covering the plastic in it)

Also, what is hot glue like when it dries? Is it hard or rubbery?

I looked into the sticky threads (pun intended) but didn't notice anything on hot glue guns there.

Oaky, my brother uses hot glue guns all the time, so i may be able to help you.

Its not that the glue doesn't stick, but that it doesn't stick properly, i.e if you keep prodding it, the glue will simply fall out. It lasts according to how vigorously you handle your models, but i have had cases where arms and tank sides have just fallen off. This is usually about 3-6 months of vigorous handling.

When it dries, it is rubbery, but only slightly. Mostly, its hard.

Depending on what you want to do and how many, GS is probably the most sensible thing :)

If the idea is some kind of slimy piece (be it some lava, fire burst of melting body for example), just be careful to use a lot of water to keep the final GS surface real "polished".

Hope you'll share your progress/results :P

Depending on what you want to do and how many, GS is probably the most sensible thing :huh:

If the idea is some kind of slimy piece (be it some lava, fire burst of melting body for example), just be careful to use a lot of water to keep the final GS surface real "polished".

Hope you'll share your progress/results :)

Thanks. I probably will post it up if I ever accomplish anything.

True, but at least IME, its a pain to clean it off and if you don't do it properly, I can't get the paint to stick.

For me its easier to have a glass of water and before I touch the GS, every time I dip the tool.

By the way, anyone seen tutorials or something about making chaos spawn or the like?

Might help the inspiration.

I know I will likely use the realm of chaos tables and chaos rpg book tables as guidelines,

but additional resouces could always help.

At work, can't link...

Check out youtube... there's a good tutorial about scratch building a spawn with GS.

Helpful, aint it? xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN7BpX9Ka1w...feature=related

That one? Took me a while to find one that wasn't simply about assembling the kit.

Certainly an interesting idea and could probably be pulled off even better with a little thought.

Archived