New to 40K - Need advice

Jakep001

I am new to 40K and have read the rule book but need some clarification. I will have a lot of questions over time so bare with me.

1. In the Assult Phase "Units are not allowed to assault if:

a. "They shot rapid fire weapons or heavy weapons in the shooting phase"

Does that mean that anyone in the squad other than those who fired rapid fire or heavy weapons in the shooting phase can go into close combat in base to base contact in that turn and the remainder just wait until the next turn? :)

If I had 4 rapid fire members in the squad and only 2 fired in the shooting phase of that turn can the 2 who didn't shoot assault in the assault phase? Likewise with a heavy weapon:unsure:

No, as the squad moves and fires as one bieng, that is, they all fire, or none do. You cannot elect to have individuals fire separately, and even if you could, models are not allowed to move out of squad coherency, and the unit has to charge at the same time, so they could not choose to assault a unit if any of them have rapid-fired or fired heavy weapons.

Ok

With my Army on the table lets say I have 10 squads.

1. IN THE MOVEMENT PHASE

I can move some of them or all of them.

2. IN THE SHOOTING PHASE

I may shoot some of my squads or all of them, and

3. IN THE ASSAULT PHASE

If close enough the squads I haven't shot in the shooting phase can assault but the others can't.

Sound OK? :)

Ok

With my Army on the table lets say I have 10 squads.

1. IN THE MOVEMENT PHASE

I can move some of them or all of them.

2. IN THE SHOOTING PHASE

I may shoot some of my squads or all of them, and

3. IN THE ASSAULT PHASE

If close enough the squads I haven't shot in the shooting phase can assault but the others can't.

Sound OK? :unsure:

1) yes

2) yes

3) Remember that your troops come with basic weapons...ie bolt pistol and bolter (rapid). So instead of firing bolter or heavy, you fire your pistol which you can fire and assault with. Same stats as bolter other than the long range shot.

About point 3... some weapons allow you to shoot AND assault in the same turn. They're called assault weapons, which you can cheack easily at the back of your codex.

A heavy flamer is a prime example of and assault weapon.

you fire your pistol which you can fire and assault with. Same stats as bolter other than the long range shot.

...and other than getting just one shot!

Also, bear in mind that some units have a special rule that allows them to fire rapid-fire weapons (like boltguns) or heavy weapons (like assault cannons) and still assault...and then there are other units with a special rule that lets them count as not having moved for the purposes of shooting (allowing them to fire heavy weapons after having moved, or fire rapid-fire weapons once out to maximum range)...there are exceptions to everything...but you got the basics down, Jake!

Ok, now let me see if I can sumarise all of the replies. And thank you all very much.

lets once again say I have multiple squads on the table. I can move everyone freely in the moveent phase 6". In the shooting phase I chose one or more squads that are in range and I can choose to shoot all the assault weapons such as the flamer and all the other models with rapid fire weapons and heavy weapons I can choose to fire their bolt pistol instead of their primary weapons and still assault with that entire squad in the assault phase once again firing thier bolt pistol? :D

I'll give you simple rules and examples so its more clear.

Lets say you've got a 10 man tactical squad. Your squad has 8 guys with bolters, 1 guy with a melta-gun, and 1 guy with a missile launcher. Everyone also has a bolt pistol as well as frag and krak grenades. That is a pretty standard loadout for a tactical squad.

Movement:

A tactical squad are all infantry models so they may move up to 6" in the movement phase. There is also something called difficult terrain(woods/rubble/etc) that forces them to move slower. If any model in your tactical squad would end up moving over a piece of difficult terrain you need to roll 2 dice. Whichever dice has the higher number is how many inches the entire unit may move that turn.

Before I go over shooting it's easier to go over weapon types.

Pistols: You may fire a pistol in the shooting phase and still assault that turn. A pistol also counts as an extra close combat weapon in close combat(more on that later)

Rapid firing weapons: You may move and fire rapid fire weapons. If you move they can only fire up to 12" and they fire 2 shots. (example your tac squad with 8 bolt guns could fire 16 shots at a unit up to 12" away) If your unit doesn't move during the movement phase you may fire the weapon once at its max range. (exampe: range on a boltgun is 24" so if you haven't moved your tac squad could fire 8 bolt shots at a unit 24" away) Remember if you stand still you can choose either the 1 shot at longer range or the 2 shots at shorter range. If a unit fires any rapid fire weapon it may not assault during the assault phase.

Assault Weapons: Assault weapons always shoot using that weapons profile whether moving or standing still and you may still assault after firing an assault weapon(thus the name).

Heavy Weapons: Heavy weapons may only be fired if the unit hasn't moved this turn. You can not assault with a unit that fired a heavy weapon that turn.

Ok onto practical examples. We're still working with that Tactical squad I listed above.

Turn 1: You look and see that even if you moved nothing would be in that 12" double shot range of your boltguns so you decide to stay still and fire your missile launcher and shoot your boltguns giving you 8 shots with a 24" range.

Turn 2: Someone moved closer to you during your opponents last turn so you decide to move up 6". Now the enemy is within 12" so you fire 16 bolter shots and you also fire your meltagun which also has a 12" range. The guy with the missile launcher shoots his pistol because he can't fire his missile launcher.

Turn 3: The enemy moved right up into your face last turn so you decide your going to assault them this turn. To make sure you can assault you have everyone fire their pistols instead of their boltguns. The dude with the meltagun fires it instead of his pistol because he can still assault if he does.

That's pretty much what happens in a game of 40k. I decided not to go over assaults as that section is for the most part pretty clear. Just remember if you get confused reading the assault section there is a bullet list that you should follow and you'll do assaults correctly. There is also a bullet list for shooting. They are on the first page of each of those sections in the rulebook. Follow them and you should do ok. Try to actually play a game with someone who knows the rules and is willing to help you out too, playing is a much better way to learn the game then re-reading the rulebook over and over.

One final bit of info:

Most things are based on the squad level. If the squad fires heavy weapons it may not assault. All it takes is one model to fire a heavy weapon and the squad may not assault. The shot came from the squad so the squad fired it. Same for movement. If the squad moves it may not fire heavy weapons. All it takes is one model in the sqad to move and the whole squad counts as moving. Someone in the squad moved so the squad moved.

For every rule there is an exception and for every exception there is a rule. But the basic rules are these: any weapon fired that is not Assault in its profile prevents the whole unit from assaulting. And while you do have to assault with the whole unit, you do not have to fire every weapon the unit has in the shooting phase.

Archived